More speed cameras coming your way!

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006

"Sheriff Bill McCarthy, who sought and received permission to obtain mobile speed cameras over the summer, said Polk leaders still need to negotiate with a company that will provide two or three free cameras to his department in exchange for a share of the fines."

This should tell you everything you need to know. It's all a business.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
One mph over the limit is a joke and would never hold up in court. Most cars and speedometers are not that accurate and that's why cops will give you a warning most of the time for up to 5 mph. The easy way for DSM to get rid of these cameras is too not pay the fines. They are not a criminal offense but a civil fine and they can't do much to enforce. Many cities like Pheonix and LA have been getting rid of the cameras due to the fact that they started loosing money with so many people not paying. However, the one thing they will probably try is to take it out of your Iowa tax return if you owe money.

Last edited:

JWIL4CY

Nov 17, 2010
Urbandale
If I get a ticket for going 1 mph over the limit I will go back to the camera and smash it into the ground with a bat.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Lol, I also hear that burning tires, pellet guns, lots of things to take out your frustration with. I forget where but it got so common that they put up cameras to watch the cameras as they were being damaged so often. Pretty sure that was in Britain.

longtimeclone

Dec 8, 2009
Up north
Lol, I also hear that burning tires, pellet guns, lots of things to take out your frustration with. I forget where but it got so common that they put up cameras to watch the cameras as they were being damaged so often. Pretty sure that was in Britain.

But do they cameras to watch the ones watching the cameras being damaged?

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
No not yet, but I'm sure the people would never have thought to take out said camera first and then the speed cameras. Eventually, they could put up a wide area of cameras but at some point the costs will exceed the revenue and they will tire of the game.

longtimeclone

Dec 8, 2009
Up north
Contest every single ticket. This is nothing more than fleecing of citizens for the benefit of the public sector. 1 mph over is ******* ridiculous, and while I wouldn't go out and smash these things, I wouldn't report someone who did.

I was reading an article about how difficult it is to protest these tickets in Cedar Rapids which the city was doing on purpose so people would just pay the fine instead of trying to fight them.

Edit: I don't know if it is still that way or they have changed it to make it easier to protest. The article came out a little after the cameras came out.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
However, the one thing they will probably try is to take it out of your Iowa tax return if you owe money.
Good luck. The State isn't a middleman in this case like getting a ticket from an actual officer. The City is the middleman and doesn't have State taxing power.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
Just don't pay them, they don't do anything to you. No problems with taxes, renewing plates or DL. It's all a joke. If everyone would shred them they would go away.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I was reading an article about how difficult it is to protest these tickets in Cedar Rapids which the city was doing on purpose so people would just pay the fine instead of trying to fight them.

Edit: I don't know if it is still that way or they have changed it to make it easier to protest. The article came out a little after the cameras came out.

Whatever it takes to make it unworkable and expensive for the county, I would do, including buying everything possible in another county, or online. Leaders represent the wishes of those who elected them. If Polk County businesses wish for this kind of crap, they can do without my business.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I heard if you go fast enough the cameras can't see you.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron