***OFFICIAL BIG 12 EXPANSION THREAD 2.0***

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I know its just an example, but can everyone leave BYU out of all their future examples please? It just doesn't fit any way you slice it. I'd take friggin Kent State over BYU...

To me it's less about the "fit" (geographic, scheduling to account for religion, etc) and more about the snobby "we don't need you....eww" attitude they had a couple of years ago when we were trying to preserve the conference.

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
I know its just an example, but can everyone leave BYU out of all their future examples please? It just doesn't fit any way you slice it. I'd take friggin Kent State over BYU...

I agree. I was having a REAL hard time coming up with a 16th team to use as an example. My personal opinion is that there are only 4 teams that we should even consider and they are Florida State, Clemson, Louisville and Georgia Tech. Others like Virginia and NC are probably going Big 10 and NC State and Va Tech are going SEC if the ACC implodes. I just needed to add teams to use as an example to show how the pod system could work.

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
To me it's less about the "fit" (geographic, scheduling to account for religion, etc) and more about the snobby "we don't need you....eww" attitude they had a couple of years ago when we were trying to preserve the conference.

I think what will end up happening is that they will go back to the Mountain West and so will San Diego State and Boise State. ACC leftovers and Big East FB leftovers will merge. Big East BB leftovers will merge with A-10.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I could see the semifinals being a completely separate games like the conference championship games are. Once a couple of the big conferences go to 16 they'll be able to push that change through the NCAA.

In that case you'd play:

Your pod
Another pod
1 team from each of the remaining 2 pods

Semifinal if you win your pod
Conference final if you win that

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Yeah, should have taken Lville instead of TCU. Then you could have 8 teams in the west part of the conference, then just annex 6 ACC schools to add to WVU and Lville. Everyone is happy then.

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
I could see the semifinals being a completely separate games like the conference championship games are. Once a couple of the big conferences go to 16 they'll be able to push that change through the NCAA.

In that case you'd play:

Your pod
Another pod
1 team from each of the remaining 2 pods

Semifinal if you win your pod
Conference final if you win that

I could see that too, but the problem is that most people want the season over by first week in December to pick the Bowl games. This would mean no games except semifinals on Thanksgiving weekend. Networks would probably push for more games on that weekend.

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
Yeah, should have taken Lville instead of TCU. Then you could have 8 teams in the west part of the conference, then just annex 6 ACC schools to add to WVU and Lville. Everyone is happy then.

Personally, I hope we don't go to 16. Plus, I don't think everyone is happy because new schools will want a Texas exposure. I think if we expand, then we should only go to 12 and make sure that both divisions have 2 Texas teams.

That way we all play in Texas at least once a year and sometimes twice depending on the rotation.

East
ISU
WVU
Clemson
Fla State
TCU
Baylor

West
Texas
Texas Tech
Oklahoma State
Oklahoma
Kansas
Kansas State

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I have a strong desire to punch people anytime I see the word 'pod' used in reference to football conferences.

Could not agree more. Flipping Pods?? Why bother having a FSU in conference if they only visit Ames twice a generation? F the Super Conference era.

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
Pods will be necessary in 16-team conference. Reason not to go to 16-team conference.

However, with pods you could play everyone every other year that is outside your pod. So it is not a once in a generation thing.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
I am in two camps, depending on what the Big 12 presidents want to do.

1.)Expansion focused primarily on population makes complete sense to conferences owned by networks like the TV-14. If the Big 12 does not have concrete plans to become a TV network, then expansion only works by increasing conference revenue per team by the more traditional considerations of actual product quality (brand appeal, success, popularity). Like it has been stated several times, only a few schools, namely FSU and ND, are attractive enough in TV negotiations to better what Big 12 schools currently receive.

2.) Wild idea, and I have little faith the presidents of the Big 12 are of the ilk needed to make this happen, but the Big 12 should follow Murdoch, et al., and tax America to fill its chest. A la carte cable is not coming soon, and even if it did, the bigger conferences would be the most immune.

This would require a huge quest for TV sets, so you do whatever you need to do to get your pick of the ACC. I think this may mean offering the 8 keystone ACC schools (plus WVU) a chance to be their own division. Allow the old aristocracy of the ACC (plus Ga Tech and FSU) to continue their Jeffersonian ways, both academically and in sports the Big 12 currently does not support. Short of Maryland being the target demographic of "need cash now?" commercials and FSU wanting out, the ACC was stable.

The key is accepting redundancy in terms of TV area. UVA and Tobacco Road have proven they are a bloc in these politics. Imo, the only way they break up is if they think there is no other option. Give them that option, and you gain an advantage over the SEC and the TV-14. I would guess Va Tech goes SEC. If SEC tactics stay the same, not all of FSU, Clemson, and Ga Tech will get an SEC invite and would prefer the Big 12 + ACC over the rust belt.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA

Soybean_pods2.jpg

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Just because they are rated in the Top 25?

This has nothing to do with where they rank. BYU is just a bizarre school. And the fact they can't play any sports on Sunday forces all schools to massage their schedules around them. Find schools that fit the Big XII culture, if there is one. I'm not sure exactly what the culture is but BYU doesn't fit it.

BloodyBuddy

Mar 13, 2012
From the Dude of WV:

Official Conference Realignment/Expansion thread

"UNC and Duke have decided to not let the ACC go down without a fight. They have scheduled a meeting next week to add UCONN & Louisville and force a grant-of-rights. They have conceded that UVA, GT, FSU and Clemson will leave but will fight to keep NC. State which is bad news for the Big 12.

Also word from the Big 12 is that the conference has agreed to expand at least to 12 and will go to 16 if there are schools available that add value. All the Big 12 presidents and coaches are on board with expansion and want it to happen quickly. The Big 12 is currently discussing inviting UL to head off the ACC. UL may actually be the glue that keeps NC State, Miami and perhaps even Clemson in the ACC.
"

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
TheRealDudeofWV

Re: Official Conference Realignment/Expansion thread

« Reply #92 on: November 21, 2012, 10:54:31 PM »

Quote from: XYLAMIC on November 21, 2012, 10:29:40 PM
My biggest question is WHEN. It sounds like the next move is the one that really kicks everything off, when does this occur?

It's only a matter of days. Either the SEC or Big 12 move within 30 days. No need to wait now as all the BCS stuff is decided.

LOL @ blogger timelines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron