Thoughts from the game tonight

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
First off, we really struggled to defend without fouling. I was focusing on defense tonight since we had a couple of backups in the starting lineup with Clark and Jiri out.

Thompson - I was terrified of entering the season if last week was what were were going to get out of Thompson. He still looks a little awkward and he would be a lot better if he just turned and went right to the hoop like he did in the second half. He gets pushed around a little too much for a guy that weighs 250.

Brackins - Obviously, stallion in the making. Seems to be more comfortable facing up though, if McD could get him some post moves to go with the shot he'd be unreal.

Wesley - Standard Wesley performance, very solid. Still don't know what to think of him defensivly on the perimeter and I really haven't seen him dribble drive well yet.

Haluska - Definitly coming around on the kid. Needs to get used to the defense a little bit, was slow closing out on his man beyond the 3 point line and when they would drive around him that's when he'd pick up those reach ins.

Peterson - Game seems to just flow better with him in there. Smart guy, solid looking shot.

Garrett - Struggled to finish tonight and we saw the Garrett deep ball, wasn't exactly pretty. Huge upside though.

Vette - 5 fouls in 9 minutes pretty much says it all. Really attacked and was agressive, that was nice to see. As others have said, could probably use a redshirt, but I honestly think he can contribute toughness and effort.

CJ - Still very skilled at his position, but sometimes it seems like he tries to do too much and he gets shot over pretty easily it seems.

Boozer - Another guy who struggles with defense but he's got that great high arcing shot and is a crowd favorite it seems.

I honestly don't think the team played with great effort tonight at the start of the game, and the flow of the game was really disrupted without Peterson in there. No offense to Garrett because I think he's going to be a great player, but it seemed like EA's runs all occured when Peterson was out of the game.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
Good post. A good point guard is what we need and sounds like Peterson could be the guy. Vette definetly needs some polishing. Got to like the strength and attitude however.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I really hope I don't jinx him with this question, and I know he's only a freshman and has a while to go.....but, so far, how would you say Brackins compares with Marcus Fizer during Fizer's freshmen year to this point?

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
BryceC: Wow, grate post (have to wait to give you rep). You typed what I was thinking, to each point.

I left the game feeling pretty good knowing we will win some we shouldn't and lose some we shouldn't. 2-3 years is going to be great for ISU BB.

-keep

thuisman

Oct 8, 2007
Ames
My thoughts on the game:

I am really impressed with the shooting of our team. It seems like every single player we put out there can shoot the three, (with the exception of Garrett's attempted three). I hope our defense improves, as it seems like EA Sports were getting a ton of close range shots. I think our guards are playing pretty solid, although I would like them to push it down the court a little more. It seems like we are missing some open players on fast break opportunities. I am definitely looking forward to getting Jiri back, as I think he will help with the defense down low.

As far as comparing Brackins with Fizer, I don't really remember that much about Fizer's freshman year. But I can't imagine it being that much better than how Brackins is looking right now. He seems to get very good post position when he goes down low, and also has a really good shot.

I like how we look so far, and am excited to see what the next few weeks of non-conference schedule games bring.

bigredqb7

Apr 11, 2006
Milwaukee
Can someone tell me exactly who EA sports is? Have they played any other teams?

They are basically a team of college players from a couple years ago that play other college teams as exhibitions. Im not sure if they get paid or not but all of the players have good size and skill so it was a decent win.

mike4cy

Aug 4, 2006
Urbandale
They are basically a team of college players from a couple years ago that play other college teams as exhibitions. I'm not sure if they get paid or not but all of the players have good size and skill so it was a decent win.

Yeah, I think they are decent. They have been averaging something like 80 points per game.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
My thoughts:

I was pleasantly surprised the way everyone was hitting shots to start the game. We have the ability to hit the outside and midrange shots. It doesn't mean we always will, but the fact that more that 1 or 2 people can hit them, bodes very well.

AT didn't play a good first half, but hustled more and played better in the 2nd.

Brackins.... CB will be a good one, it is really obvious. As far as comparisons, Fizer was a lot stronger, but yes I see similarities. They can both put the ball on the floor well for big men, can hit the outside shot, and make good shots in the paint. CB has a great all-around game like MF did.

Peterson ran the team well. He looked like a little kid compared to EAs guard, but then again we're a young team and these guys are a lot younger than EAs team. Which leads to...

Haluska. Great shot. The stronger he gets the better he'll get. He can shoot it like his bro (yes I had to bring him up), but just like all of the young guards on our team, needs to get stronger.

CJ: played okay, Mr. Hustle as usual.

Boozer: wow nice looking shot. Some D would be nice though.

The rest did nothing really worth noting. Overall I think the team played well, considering I think EA was a pretty decent team. They had a couple of guys who were pretty good.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
EA Sports had player from some very good BB schools:

Gonzaga, UNLV, Weber State, So. Miss and a few Chapel Hill schools. I was impressed with their size and skill. However, they were not in shape. Each half they got there second wind after the 12 minute mark but lost it after the 4 minute mark each half.

-keep

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
First off, we really struggled to defend without fouling. I was focusing on defense tonight since we had a couple of backups in the starting lineup with Clark and Jiri out.

Thompson - I was terrified of entering the season if last week was what were were going to get out of Thompson. He still looks a little awkward and he would be a lot better if he just turned and went right to the hoop like he did in the second half. He gets pushed around a little too much for a guy that weighs 250.

Brackins - Obviously, stallion in the making. Seems to be more comfortable facing up though, if McD could get him some post moves to go with the shot he'd be unreal.

Wesley - Standard Wesley performance, very solid. Still don't know what to think of him defensivly on the perimeter and I really haven't seen him dribble drive well yet.

Haluska - Definitly coming around on the kid. Needs to get used to the defense a little bit, was slow closing out on his man beyond the 3 point line and when they would drive around him that's when he'd pick up those reach ins.

Peterson - Game seems to just flow better with him in there. Smart guy, solid looking shot.

Garrett - Struggled to finish tonight and we saw the Garrett deep ball, wasn't exactly pretty. Huge upside though.

Vette - 5 fouls in 9 minutes pretty much says it all. Really attacked and was agressive, that was nice to see. As others have said, could probably use a redshirt, but I honestly think he can contribute toughness and effort.

CJ - Still very skilled at his position, but sometimes it seems like he tries to do too much and he gets shot over pretty easily it seems.

Boozer - Another guy who struggles with defense but he's got that great high arcing shot and is a crowd favorite it seems.

I honestly don't think the team played with great effort tonight at the start of the game, and the flow of the game was really disrupted without Peterson in there. No offense to Garrett because I think he's going to be a great player, but it seemed like EA's runs all occured when Peterson was out of the game.

I was just wondering what made you think we didn't give great effort to start the game. We had an excellent start to the game. I'm just a little confused what gave you that impression.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I guess I don't mean they didn't give great effort, they just didn't look that intense... it's hard to explain. The crowd wasn't exactly into it, and I think it might have spread down to the players. It could be that they are still learning the system too but it just didn't seem like they were moving on offense and they weren't closing out well on defense and bodying up their guys, imo, and that's why we had so many first half fouls.

I could totally be off here too, that's why I want other people to give their opinions.

As far as Brackins and Fizer go, I don't know. One thing about Fizer's freshman year, he was the only player on the team so he got as many shots as he wanted and the team was terrible. I think he was a little more polished down low - Brackins still wants to turn and shoot or hook it, and Fizer was a bull even his freshman year and would just go through his guy.

Brackins is also a good 3 inches taller than Fizer and he's very active on defense though (he tried blocking just about everybody's shot) but he got swatted a couple of times yesterday too, one on a fastbreak where he slapped the floor in frustration afterward.

I think Brackins is going to be a great player and is a legit early entry NBA guy if he continues to improve. Is he going to be an All American? I don't know.

I do like this team this year, but I really wish there was a Mike Taylor-esque guy with driving ability that can get to the rim. Diante can be that, but he struggled to finish yesterday and it's only going to get tougher from here.

4VR4CY

Aug 28, 2007
Ankeny, IA
Thanks BryceC! We did not make it last night. I have a test tonight that I needed to study for.

I haven't had time to read up on why Rashon didn't play. Can anyone fill me in?

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
Some random thoughts from last night. The team really settled for perimeter shots throughout the night. I suspect that may be the result of working more on defense then offense at this stage of the season, but there were very few possessions where they got the ball inside to the posts or penetrated with the dribble. I haven't seen a box score, but I wouldn't be surprised if EA made more free throws then we attempted.

I did enjoy the last play of the first half when they went one four flat and let DG take his man to the basket for a lay up. It was reminisecent of the Jamal Tinsley days.

Defensively the team has a ways to go. A lot or reaching and hand checking as opposed to moving feet. It will get better, but it will take some time.