ISU apparel

fridd53

Sep 11, 2010
Does anyone else think that the ISU apparel is really below par compared to other schools? Maybe in Ames its a different story, but I don't live in Ames and its honestly hard to find a shirt that isn't your generic 'Iowa State' t-shirt. Doesn't it bother you when you type 'ISU clothing' into google and it comes up with Iowa clothing in the 3 of the top 5 results? Maybe I don't have a clue what I'm talking about but I think that ISU needs to really push the apparel and one very good way to do that is to start a legitimate website based on buying ISU merchandise. Is there a good one that anyone can think of? If so, please let me know.

fridd53

Sep 11, 2010
just googled 'Iowa state football merchandise' and Iowa hawkeyes was mentioned in 6/10 results. Duke was also mentioned in one because for some reason truthaboutduke.com sells ISU apparel.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Try putting quotations around "iowa state". If you google things, it looks at each individual word, so it will pick up the word iowa and give you some Hawkeye stuff. If you put quotes around it, that means you only want things with those two words together, and should minimize your Hawkeye stuff.

Edit: I just tried it and nothing but ISU stuff came up on the first page for me.

Last edited:

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Interesting topic, I have felt the same way about the clothing. I am actually thinking of producing ISU shirts. My product is targeted though. Not everyone may want to buy it. There are some hoops and costs to go through though so maybe this is what holds some people back.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Does anyone else think that the ISU apparel is really below par compared to other schools? Maybe in Ames its a different story, but I don't live in Ames and its honestly hard to find a shirt that isn't your generic 'Iowa State' t-shirt. Doesn't it bother you when you type 'ISU clothing' into google and it comes up with Iowa clothing in the 3 of the top 5 results? Maybe I don't have a clue what I'm talking about but I think that ISU needs to really push the apparel and one very good way to do that is to start a legitimate website based on buying ISU merchandise. Is there a good one that anyone can think of? If so, please let me know.

IMO- The apparel right now is the best it has ever been. Just went to T Galaxy and the Univ bookstore last weekend and spent too much money. Selection is much better there and at Scheels than online but if you look you can find just about anything

Cyville55

Oct 10, 2009
IMO- The apparel right now is the best it has ever been. Just went to T Galaxy and the Univ bookstore last weekend and spent too much money. Selection is much better there and at Scheels than online but if you look you can find just about anything

Scheel's in Waterloo is the worst place to buy anything ISU. About 1/4 of the store is Hawkeyes junk. Pretty frustrating trying to find decent clothing around here.

Arkansas Cyclone

Nov 25, 2006
Bentonville, Arkansas

Gotta agree completely with this. Since I've gotten back to Iowa I decided it was time to get shirts with the new logo. I've bought from both Sheels and T. Galaxy along with Campus Bookstore.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
Scheel's in Waterloo is the worst place to buy anything ISU. About 1/4 of the store is Hawkeyes junk. Pretty frustrating trying to find decent clothing around here.

Correction, Scheels in Omaha is the worst. There is 3x as much Texas gear as ISU gear. TEXAS!. They hate Texas here, yet carry loads of their junk. There is almost as much stuff for LSU and North Carolina as ISU.

I bought a Nike polo from the Rivals fanshop site because I couldn't get anything other than a t-shirt in the Omaha/CB area.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008

You were in Ames. Try buying a decent ISU polo/golf shirt outside of central Iowa. You will be severely disappointed.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Correction, Scheels in Omaha is the worst. There is 3x as much Texas gear as ISU gear. TEXAS!. They hate Texas here, yet carry loads of their junk. There is almost as much stuff for LSU and North Carolina as ISU.

I bought a Nike polo from the Rivals fanshop site because I couldn't get anything other than a t-shirt in the Omaha/CB area.
The texas junk should go on sale right after their big Nebby game or it might be on sale now due to their last week's fine performance.

bgprest

Aug 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
I live just north of Dallas in Texas. Obviously I can never find Iowa State clothing here. Lots and lots of Texas, OU, A&M, Tech which you'd expect but also a I see a fair amount of Hawkeye and Nebraska stuff - that's what really hurts!

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
I should have specified Scheel's in Jordan Creek Mall. Scheel's in Sioux City is probably much better than Waterloo but the ISU section pales in comparison to the hok an husker sections. Can't blame the store though, they have to cater to the market and there are more iowa and nebbie fans in this area.
just because local stores don't carry the apparel doesn't mean the apparrel is bad. What ISU and vendors are putting out is the best stuff we have ever seen from ISU, IMO. You just have to find it.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
You were in Ames. Try buying a decent ISU polo/golf shirt outside of central Iowa. You will be severely disappointed.
That isn't ISU's fault. That is purely a lack of fanbase fault. Stores put out what sells. You want to know why there is Texas clothing in Omaha? It sells. I can tell you the demographic that buys it as well.

I don't blame the Sioux City Scheel's for not carrying more ISU gear. they cater to iowa and nebraska fans because there are more of them. However, what they do carry is very nice. Again, it is not eh apparel's fault the stores don't carry ISU gear. It is the lack of fanbase that purchases ISU gear. I am guessing for every ISU fan you find in Omaha, you can find 3 hok fans and 20 nebbie fans.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
It is pretty easy to get it online these days. And all it takes is one trip to Ames to supply my family for the year.

cyadict

Aug 4, 2006
Ankeny
So if you guys do buy your ISU stuff online...which site has the best choices? I've looked and looked, and can never find the good Nike or UA clothing anyplace.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

I would disagree with that - the Scheel's in Coralville is the worst (obviously). I have actually purchased decent ISU gear at the Scheel's in Waterloo - particularly my "Whirlybird ISU Cy" sweatshirt where the logo was made "letterjacket logo" style. Waterloo was the only Scheel's in the entire state of Iowa that had that particular sweatshirt in grey XXL. So yeah, just because of that, you'll never hear me hate on the Scheel's in Waterloo.

Back to Scheel's in Coralville - for it being a store where 1/4 of the first floor floor space being devoted to Iowa gear and as little ISU gear as they have, the sad fact is they still have the best selection of ISU gear in the eastern side of the state. How pathetic is that?

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
That isn't ISU's fault. That is purely a lack of fanbase fault. Stores put out what sells. You want to know why there is Texas clothing in Omaha? It sells. I can tell you the demographic that buys it as well.

I don't blame the Sioux City Scheel's for not carrying more ISU gear. they cater to iowa and nebraska fans because there are more of them. However, what they do carry is very nice. Again, it is not eh apparel's fault the stores don't carry ISU gear. It is the lack of fanbase that purchases ISU gear. I am guessing for every ISU fan you find in Omaha, you can find 3 hok fans and 20 nebbie fans.

How do they know ISU fans won't buy the new Nike stuff if they don't stock it? I went to 6 different stores trying to find ONE decent polo shirt and came up with nothing. Had I found anything decent, didn't even have to be Nike, I would have bought it, maybe even a couple shirts.

Scheels had a small selection of ISU gear, but it was all worthless. Had any of it been decent, I would have bought something. Again, that's not ISU's fault, but fans can't buy what stores don't carry.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
How do they know ISU fans won't buy the new Nike stuff if they don't stock it? I went to 6 different stores trying to find ONE decent polo shirt and came up with nothing. Had I found anything decent, didn't even have to be Nike, I would have bought it, maybe even a couple shirts.

Scheels had a small selection of ISU gear, but it was all worthless. Had any of it been decent, I would have bought something. Again, that's not ISU's fault, but fans can't buy what stores don't carry.

Because, unfortunately, you, nor me, nor the thousands of us here constitute "enough" ISU fans in the world of merchandising.

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
Because, unfortunately, you, nor me, nor the thousands of us here constitute "enough" ISU fans in the world of merchandising.

Scheels in Sioux City almost has more Texas apparel than ISU it seems sometimes.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009

I agree. There is some really good stuff out there, you just have to look. Sad that in-state retail isn't stocking as much ISU gear as we'd like, but that doesn't mean you can't buy it. IMO the main problem is that the two biggest sellers of ISU gear (UBS and T-Galaxy) have terrible/nonexistant websites. Here are some decent links:

Dogtown University || Iowa State Cyclone Apparel

http://www.signifypromotions.com/st...n=CTGY&Store_Code=SIGU&Category_Code=ISU_MENS

http://www.isubookstore.com/Merchandise.aspx

Tailgate Clothing: vintage college t-shirts sweats hats graphic tees