Why I hate Parents Weekend

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

EJ4CY

Feb 11, 2007
Lenexa KS
Let me preface this, by saying I fully enjoyed everything about Saturday, except when I got to my seat.

We sit in section 20, and have for the past four years. Our section has always been a section that stands up, cheers and participates in almost ever aspect of the game.

We arrive at the stadium at 10 go through the same pregame as any other game (Saturdays was very nice may I add, great Army tribute before kickoff.)

We got to our seats, absolutey all new faces in our section. Yes shame on those who sold tickets to others.. But SHAME on the people sitting in section 20.

The first play from scrimmage, a fella the row behind us says "Hey why don't you sit down so the rest of us can see." In four years we have never had anyone ask us to sit down, if anything we would have gotten made fun of for sitting down.

Needless to say we spent the first half still doing everything like ever other game, First Down Cheers, making noise on third down.. the usual stuff, while the rest of the section sat on their you know whats...

Sorry to keep rambling, but I guess my questions are:
1. In the right or wrong?
2. Did any of you have to deal with the same thing?

hursts

Apr 10, 2006
Let me preface this, by saying I fully enjoyed everything about Saturday, except when I got to my seat.

We sit in section 20, and have for the past four years. Our section has always been a section that stands up, cheers and participates in almost ever aspect of the game.

We arrive at the stadium at 10 go through the same pregame as any other game (Saturdays was very nice may I add, great Army tribute before kickoff.)

We got to our seats, absolutey all new faces in our section. Yes shame on those who sold tickets to others.. But SHAME on the people sitting in section 20.

The first play from scrimmage, a fella the row behind us says "Hey why don't you sit down so the rest of us can see." In four years we have never had anyone ask us to sit down, if anything we would have gotten made fun of for sitting down.

Needless to say we spent the first half still doing everything like ever other game, First Down Cheers, making noise on third down.. the usual stuff, while the rest of the section sat on their you know whats...

Sorry to keep rambling, but I guess my questions are:
1. In the right or wrong?
2. Did any of you have to deal with the same thing?
I sat in section 20 and cheered just as loud as anyone else in the stadium. The whole section was standing every key third down play, etc. I don't think you have to stand every play of every game to make noise and cheer for your team.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
cheered just as loud as anyone else in the stadium. The whole section was standing every key third down play, etc. I don't think you have to stand every play of every game to make noise and cheer for your team.

This.

farmerbrent

Feb 29, 2008
You don't have to stand every play. But no one should ever ask someone to sit down. It really kills the excitement and mood. I was in section 19 and was asked to sit down, too. Funny thing was the seats next to her were empty and all she had to do was slide down a little to see around us instead of being such a fun hater. It's not like she was an elederly woman who had trouble standing either. She was probably younger than me.

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
When I went to the KState game back in 2004, my tickets were in the middle of KState season ticket holders. Most of them were elderly and I asked beforehand if they cared if I stood the entire first quarter and on key plays the rest of the game. They didn't have any problem with it, probably because I asked first...

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Maybe its a lower level thing......I've never been asked to sit down in the upper deck.

Most people up there in Section B only stand for key plays, and only because others in front of them are standing. I guess I don't understand the whole standing throughout the entire game thing.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
What I hate is the fact that some people dont stay in their seats. Up and down the stairs 5 times a half. In and out of the bleachers countless times. It gets really old. I think sometime they need a traffic director due to the continous flow of people up and down the stairs.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
What I hate is the fact that some people dont stay in their seats. Up and down the stairs 5 times a half. In and out of the bleachers countless times. It gets really old. I think sometime they need a traffic director due to the continous flow of people up and down the stairs.

I agree with this also. When I sit down at a game, I'm at that seat for the next 3 plus hours. I can't remember the last time I left my section in the middle of a game, including halftime.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
What does it being Parents' Weekend have to do with the original post? That situation happens in numerous sections every week.

Cyclone15

Aug 21, 2007
Ankeny
Section 18 here... and I will never listen to someone tell me sit done or be quiet for that matter... first of all its a FOOTBALL game not a BALLET. I try and show respect as soon as the ball is snapped offensively of defensively by crouching down if need be... (on a down the crowd chooses not to be on their feet) I also make sure to keep the vocals appropriate for those kids around us.

However, I do feel our home field advantage is only 1/3 that of other schools. Jack Trice seems to only erupt on 3rd down. I would argue 2nd and 10 needs just as much enthusiasm and noise as waiting for 3rd and 1. 2nd and 10 means our defense just held the other team to no yardage yet many times I will see fans wait to cheer and get loud only on 3rd down. Let's make Jack Trice more of a home field advantage.. not just 1/3 of the game.... Take a look at other crowds- As this site suggests... we need more FANATICS... not just fannies in the seats... and if you choose not to cheer every down... don't complain to others. Again... its a football game...

Offense is the time to rest.... except for those scoring plays... Defense is the time to go to work and cheer like a bunch of "crazed dogs"

:biglaugh:

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Jack Trice seems to only erupt on 3rd down. I would argue 2nd and 10 needs just as much enthusiasm and noise as waiting for 3rd and 1. 2nd and 10 means our defense just held the other team to no yardage yet many times I will see fans wait to cheer and get loud only on 3rd down.

The thing is the cheering doenst work a lot and it gets old to cheer just to see the other team get a 1st down.

cyclonez7

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
Section 8 was pretty weak... people not standing up on 3rd down when we need to get a stop. Live a little people...

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Section 18 here... and I will never listen to someone tell me sit done or be quiet for that matter... first of all its a FOOTBALL game not a BALLET.

Not everyone can see (even when they stand) when everyone stands. Almost everyone can see when people are sitting. Standing on 3rd downs and big plays... yes. The whole game? No. Very no. Some people are there to see that football game, not just stand for the point of standing.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
The thing is the cheering doenst work a lot and it gets old to cheer just to see the other team get a 1st down.

Thats what kills things.. the fans get up again and again only to get let down. Considering how well fans at ISU have supported what quite honestly has been decades of bad football with flashes of mediocrity, the place would be nuts if we had some success.

synapticwave

Mar 9, 2007
Austin, TX
www.longshotgames.com
I have only been asked to sit down once and that was at an away game, I asked if I switch places with my wife if I would be out of the way enough for them and they were fine with that solution. I have tickets with CycloneG on this board and at a game I was not at, he had a guy go get security to ask him to sit down (and if I remember right, without even asking him first) - the entire row in front of this jackhole stood the rest of the game after that. Like most things, there's a curteous way to go about things and then there's being a jack ***. Be respectful and try to find a workable solution to the problem and usually everyone can be happy.

My personal oppion is that everyone has the right to stand at athletic events as much as they want. If you don't like it, don't buy tickets, donate your money instead, and just watch the games at home. Also, I have noticed that by and large the individuals that wish to remain sitting are older. As a rule, the older a person is the more disposable income they are likely to have, maybe JP should make 2 of the gold level sections no-standing sections and convince all the sitters to donate to get into these sections :)

acrozier22

Mar 17, 2006
Southeast Iowa
For the most part I'm going to respect the people around me. THe last thing I want to do is make someone else's Iowa State game a miserable experience. I like to stand every once in a while but I'm not going to stand in front of someone and be the person standing in the section. If someone in front of me is standing or I can't see, then I'll stand. I would expect the people behind me to understand.

I'm not going to be the jerk that turns around and "this is a football game" because not everyone wants to stand (regardless of age).

jsmith86

Dec 5, 2006
Cedar Rapids
For the most part I'm going to respect the people around me. THe last thing I want to do is make someone else's Iowa State game a miserable experience. I like to stand every once in a while but I'm not going to stand in front of someone and be the person standing in the section. If someone in front of me is standing or I can't see, then I'll stand. I would expect the people behind me to understand.

I'm not going to be the jerk that turns around and "this is a football game" because not everyone wants to stand (regardless of age).

I will. :jimlad:

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Be respectful and try to find a workable solution to the problem and usually everyone can be happy.

My personal oppion is that everyone has the right to stand at athletic events as much as they want. If you don't like it, don't buy tickets, donate your money instead, and just watch the games at home.

these 2 next to each other... does not compute.

Also, I have noticed that by and large the individuals that wish to remain sitting are older. As a rule, the older a person is the more disposable income they are likely to have, maybe JP should make 2 of the gold level sections no-standing sections and convince all the sitters to donate to get into these sections :)

Almost nobody sits the entire game. Even the gold level sections.