Zone

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
I have been impressed with the zone scheme Prohm has put in. Almost has a 1-3-1 matchup zone? Not something I have seen a ton of before (If anyone knows what this is please feel free to educate me). We have struggled to let up 3 pointers in man-man all year, might as well give them that shot in the zone too. Has vastly improved the defense that Lewis and Zion have played which helps a ton on the offensive side of the ball!

Boy I love the way Lewis cuts to the hoop on Haliburton drives.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I have been impressed with the zone scheme Prohm has put in. Almost has a 1-3-1 matchup zone? Not something I have seen a ton of before (If anyone knows what this is please feel free to educate me). We have struggled to let up 3 pointers in man-man all year, might as well give them that shot in the zone too. Has vastly improved the defense that Lewis and Zion have played which helps a ton on the offensive side of the ball!

It was refreshing to see. Honestly, even if they're only OK at it, it's better than their man. It's nice to maybe, possibly, see some identity development out there for a change. We can all put our pitchforks away...for now.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
The lineup he first put out there with the zone is probably are quickest and most athletic, it caused some chaos and sped the game up. This team is at its best when they are running, hopefully we see the zone a bit more, although I think Baylor is a bit more suited to exploit it.

• Agree
Reactions: moores2

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
The lineup he first put out there with the zone is probably are quickest and most athletic, it caused some chaos and sped the game up. This team is at its best when they are running, hopefully we see the zone a bit more, although I think Baylor is a bit more suited to exploit it.

It seemed to allow more chances to get some fingers & hands in passing lanes and dribblers at times to disrupt. Maybe it facilitates that better than staying with man-to-man. Maybe it plays more into the strengths?

• Agree
Reactions: heitclone

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

The zone we ran the other night did seem like a 1-3-1 matchup zone and when ran correctly, it can be pretty confusing for offenses. Iowa runs something really similar. What it does is force teams into situations where they have to spread the floor and usually throw the ball over the top or across the entire floor to someone, which is where our length and quickness comes into play.

The difference between a matchup zone and a regular zone is that you're basically playing man-to-man on ball defense until the guy you're guarding breaks into the area that your teammate is in which is when a switch happens. I think this defense could be quite effective for this team, especially with some of our player's inability to guard their guy straight up. What I thought we did very well the other night was rotating when ball movement happened and also found a guy to box out when a shot went up, because those two things are highly important when playing this type of defense.

Reactions: moores2

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
I think the biggest problem against Baylor and that zone is keeping them off the offensive glass.

• Agree
Reactions: Halincandenza

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Baylor is built very well to exploit it. Beating 1-3-1 is just a matter of working inside-out, and Baylor has the post players to manage that. That being said, I still trust that zone against them better than I do our man coverage at this point. The team is just awful at switches and dodging screens.

• Agree

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I'm just a little concerned because you don't see much 1-3-1 zone played and I imagine there is a reason for this. I think it was a good thing to "spring" on OU and it would be hard to adjust on the fly. But if you allow a team time to properly prepare for it I imagine it can be exploited.

• Winner
Reactions: jsb

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I'm just a little concerned because you don't see much 1-3-1 zone played and I imagine there is a reason for this. I think it was a good thing to "spring" on OU and it would be hard to adjust on the fly. But if you allow a team time to properly prepare for it I imagine it can be exploited.

I’m for trying to use it especially if it can buy us some minutes with TL but I can’t wait for the outrage when teams figure it out and we have to go back to man and people freak out.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018

I agree with this, but if we can get a team to not ball screen our guards, no matter what this is a good thing. Also, the biggest weakness of a 1-3-1 zone is either the corner or wing 3 point shots (Something we struggle with even when we play man to man).

I think the biggest benefit this zone has is being able to nullify an opponents time out. Springing a zone on someone right after they draw up their favorite play to get a bucket against man - man defense can be really frustrating.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
1-3-1 requires those middle 3 to be very good at what they do, as they are the main point of breakdown. Top 1 just flows with the ball mainly and back 1 is a rim protector. We have guys for both of those -- Conditt can protect and Jackson is great defending on-ball, as is Nixon. The middle guys have to be fast, decisive, and spaced well. That's where trouble happens, they can't overcommit and can't get lost. Have to trust the other zones to hold on and stay home as best as possible... which is something we struggle terribly with in man.

• Agree

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I agree with this, but if we can get a team to not ball screen our guards, no matter what this is a good thing. Also, the biggest weakness of a 1-3-1 zone is either the corner or wing 3 point shots (Something we struggle with even when we play man to man).

I think the biggest benefit this zone has is being able to nullify an opponents time out. Springing a zone on someone right after they draw up their favorite play to get a bucket against man - man defense can be really frustrating.

Realistically I think we should throw it in 10-15 minutes per game. I just don't think you can rely on it, especially if it's something we are just now throwing in. We've never seen Prohm teams in the past rely on it, so I can't imagine it's something that has been very heavily drilled. Learning a new defense on the fly, while also giving the likes of Self, Huggins, Drew, etc. time to prepare for it could be a recipe for disaster.

I do, however, appreciate Prohm trying something new in an attempt to adapt to our personnel. It was a nice wrinkle in a game we very much needed to win.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: tyler24

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

Lewis is a very opportunistic scorer whether it's by cutting or by hitting the offensive glass.

• Agree

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
Realistically I think it should be we throw in 10-15 minutes per game. I just don't think you can rely on it, especially if it's something we are just not throwing in. We've never seen Prohm teams in the past rely on it, so I can't imagine it's something that has been very heavily drilled. Learning a new defense on the fly, while also giving the likes of Self, Huggins, Drew, etc. time to prepare for it could be a recipe for disaster.

I do, however, appreciate Prohm trying something new in an attempt to adapt to our personnel. It was a nice wrinkle in a game we very much needed to win.
Agreed... We suck at man so try something else. I appreciate that as well. Hope he sticks with it. We played a couple different match up zones against OU. Curious how it will work against a Baylor, but we sure as hell cannot match up with them in a man.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
We don’t have the dudes to run a zone all the time. Other than the teams who use this as their go to D (Syracuse, Baylor), not many do. We don’t have the dudes to go man-to-man all the time either.

This is why having BOTH defensive options available to implement is important. Keeps offenses guessing. I would personally love to see ya implement more “press” also. Doesn’t have to be the “40 minutes of hell” style, but some full and 3/4 court, with Conditt on the back end.

I believe for this team to be successful defensively, we have to be (as Campbell would say) “multiple”. We just aren’t good enough to give an opposing offense the same look for 40 minutes.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I rewatched the game and what I think was even more impressive was our hustle on defense. The guys didn’t give up on plays. They fought for the ball. They fought for rebounds. I’m not sure if that was due to the zone.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron