Zone

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by moores2, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Statefan10

Statefan10 Well-Known Member

May 20, 2019
    Male
    Ratings:
    +6,290 / 329 / -1
    Well it was Robbie Hummel, who knows quite a bit about basketball. But the 1-3-1 can look like weird in certain rotations and who knows, we might've played multiple variations of zone the other night and one of those times it could've been a hybrid 2-3.

2. moores2

moores2 Active Member

Nov 9, 2018
    Male
    Ratings:
    +916 / 56 / -2
    Heck I even liked that we fouled quite a bit (especially non shooting fouls). That little bit of extra aggression was much needed, especially considering on how few fouls our guards normally have.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. MeowingCows

MeowingCows Well-Known Member

Jun 1, 2015
    Male
    IT
    Iowa
    Ratings:
    +19,136 / 783 / -11
    The effort and speed was more related to personnel I'd say, but the rebounding and a little ball fighting can be attributed to zone as well. That naturally spaces them better for those events.

I actually noticed and appreciated that, too. A lot of them weren't bad or costly fouls, just disruptive. I'm cool with that a few times. Just as long as you don't give up and-1s, if you're gonna foul someone, make damn sure that shot doesn't have a chance.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. moores2

moores2 Active Member

Nov 9, 2018
    Male
    Ratings:
    +916 / 56 / -2
    I think it also helped us get some favorable calls down the stretch. Having the foul count be 8-3 in the final 10 minutes, you can get away with a few things. But if you only have 3, they are going to call everything. (Example: fast break that Nixon swatted ball out of the guys hands and he ends up on the floor trying to draw the foul turned into a no call.)

5. jsb

jsb Well-Known Member
    SuperFanatic SuperFanatic T2

Mar 7, 2008
    Ratings:
    +16,356 / 1,283 / -36
    It seems like there were a few times where we turned the ball over and we got back in time to get the turnover.

6. Cyinthenorth

Cyinthenorth Well-Known Member
    SuperFanatic SuperFanatic T2

Mar 29, 2013
    Male
    Dubuque
    Ratings:
    +2,348 / 321 / -32
    That Austin Reaves character is certainly hate-able. Hummell was spot on in his assessment of him "hand fighting" to push off or push past and away from his defender. Must've graduated from Jordan Bohannon U. Too bad refs never called it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. AuH2O

AuH2O Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2013
    Ratings:
    +4,105 / 110 / -2
    I think this is what Prohm's trying to accomplish, and it makes sense. You really have two options if you are going to employ a zone. The first is that's what you do, and you're damn good at it. The second is you throw in a few different looks throughout the game. You might play man 70% of the possessions, but you're trying to steal some defensive possessions by messing with what the opponent is trying to do offensively. Eventually the offense is going to figure it out, and probably dissect a half-ass executed zone. But you might get them a little out of sorts and chewing up shot clock changing plays and getting guys into position.

I don't think it's that Prohm is trying to figure out a defense that works, it's more about changing looks a few times and getting a few more stops throughout the course of the game than you would've otherwise.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. cycfan1

cycfan1 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Student
    Ames
    Ratings:
    +1,063 / 121 / -9
    If by Hybrid you mean 1-3-1 then they were correct.
    The ESPN2 crew was manageable but man the ESPN+ crew was incompetent.