Zero Turn vs Lawn Tractor

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
What I've found works well on my 1/2 acre is to have kids and have them keep using my POS push mower I've had for 15 years.

The only downside is that in return my kids expect to be housed, clothed, fed, and generally parented.
Selfish kids these days...

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
This is why I'm thinking ZT. $1000 is a big jump to swallow, but it should save me 30-45 minutes of push mowing each week during the growing season. I was tempted to go lawn tractor to get a snow plow attachment, but I can just get a separate snow blower for that.
Plow attachments for lawn mowers don't work that well. They have an open differential. Most riding lawn mowers also don't have the heavy-duty transaxles to take the punishment of moving snow, shortening their life span.

• Informative
Reactions: VeloClone

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
This summer I bought a used 2003 Simplicity Prestige. I went ahead and polished it all up, and made it mechanically sound, including a complete disassemble and lubrication of the deck and lawn striping bar. It has a 54" deck (Nearly 200 pounds), and a 2 stage snowblower (Even heavier) were included. I ended up selling the included grass catcher as I had no plans to use it.

IMG_7733.JPG

IMG_7900.JPG

That picture was pre-dereycho. :(

I was using a John Deere LA120. What I upgraded to is a serious Garden Tractor, not a "Lawn Mower", and I've been loving it.

Reactions: throwittoblythe

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I'd go with the zero turn I've had a 48" deck grasshopper for over 25 yrs do hydro filters occasionally, new oil and air filter every yr and blades when needed. If need be you can always get the snow blower attachment for them.

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop
Lawn tractor isn't a thing. It's a riding mower.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
We do some commercial mowing, AWS are the fastest and easiest. We could hammer 4 acre locations out with one AWS (it would do all the close stuff) another tractor mower (2 kids making money for summer work) and I would just clean up the 90 degree corners (which ZT can’t do either) with a trimmer and we could be in and out in 30 minutes and that included loading and unloading, and filling out paperwork for billing.
Is Deere the only one that makes AWS lawn tractors? I have a cub cadet 'zero turn' lawn tractor that they quit making (for good reason) but never seen an AWS.

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
Get a push mower and you will cut your mowing time in half. After one time, you will realize you don't need to mow it all.:)

Gorm

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
In terms of tractors now being able to throw snow.

I have a dual stage snowblower for the Simplicity and the thing is seriously heavy duty. I don't think it will have any issues throwing snow. (This picture was before I cleaned it up)

IMG_4508.jpeg

cyco2000

Nov 5, 2007
You won't ever regret a zero turn, but could regret a riding mower. The only caveat is if you want to put a blower on your riding mower. Even still, I'd highly recommend a zero turn and a separate blower.

The amount of time you save mowing is hard to even understand--I haven't heard of anyone that regrets the time savings for the money for a zero turn.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
I know it's late in the season, but I'm trying to decide between a traditional lawn tractor vs a zero-turn model.

I have 1/2 acre lot with close to a dozen trees, a fenced portion, and a few other obstructions. I'd like to get a zero-turn, but its about a $1000 premium to get one (60% more than a traditional lawn tractor). I'm thinking the ZT model would save me a bunch of time and push mowing.

Anyone have advice/thoughts to share?

Lawn Tractor. Just go around the trees with the left side of the deck. 1/2 acre? Hell, you could do a half acre with a push mower. Why spend 3 grand on a zero turn?

Gorm

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
He said plow, not throw.

FWIW, I don't think my tractor would have an issue with the 42" plow attachment either. Simplicity offered the model with as a 4x4, but I have the 2 wheel model. With the rear chains on the wheels, the transmission wouldn't have an issue at all in most snow situations.

I would agree with his statement in terms of my old John Deere LA120. That thing was only designed to mow grass.

Yaz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 29, 2018
I know it's late in the season, but I'm trying to decide between a traditional lawn tractor vs a zero-turn model.

I have 1/2 acre lot with close to a dozen trees, a fenced portion, and a few other obstructions. I'd like to get a zero-turn, but its about a $1000 premium to get one (60% more than a traditional lawn tractor). I'm thinking the ZT model would save me a bunch of time and push mowing.

Anyone have advice/thoughts to share?
I looked at both and went with the JD 4 wheel steer and haven't looked back. I do have some grade in my 3/4 acre yard for which the Zero don't do well on. Also, the 4 wheel is less likely to leave marks in your yard when turning. You will be happy with whatever you buy, regardless. I'll note that I designed my yard to have a live edge everywhere and only have to weed-wack near the street in a few spots and a couple other areas. (7 minutes max on WW.) 30 minutes mow time.

Last edited:

Gorm

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
You won't ever regret a zero turn, but could regret a riding mower. The only caveat is if you want to put a blower on your riding mower. Even still, I'd highly recommend a zero turn and a separate blower.

The amount of time you save mowing is hard to even understand--I haven't heard of anyone that regrets the time savings for the money for a zero turn.

I would disagree based on my neighbors way of mowing with his zero turn. He mows WAY too fast, and the results of which lead to the grass not being "cut" but rather "wacked" by the blades. Also, his front two wheels leave DEEP indentations in his yard after a mow. The morning after a mow you can see where he drove EVERYWHERE. It doesn't cut the grass well at all.

However, he does seem to mow his yard in record time. Not going to argue that. :)

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Do you ever have trouble with the tie rods on the AWS? My father in law has one and those wear out faster than they should. He is also hard on things and isn't mowing perfectly manicured lawns.

Never, but I also run heavier John Deere’s than the OP mentions. New, these things are in that 12k range.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Is Deere the only one that makes AWS lawn tractors? I have a cub cadet 'zero turn' lawn tractor that they quit making (for good reason) but never seen an AWS.
Not sure. I do have a cub cadet for in town (I learned on one) but since IH stopped making them, they aren’t the same. That is the only non JD that I have.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I would disagree based on my neighbors way of mowing with his zero turn. He mows WAY too fast, and the results of which lead to the grass not being "cut" but rather "wacked" by the blades. Also, his front two wheels leave DEEP indentations in his yard after a mow. The morning after a mow you can see where he drove EVERYWHERE. It doesn't cut the grass well at all.

However, he does seem to mow his yard in record time. Not going to argue that. :)

One other variable is the roughness. ZT are the toughest rides due to smallest tires overall and the overall wheelbase, commercial front decks are in between (sounds backwards but it’s true), then it’s tractors for smoothest. If you have a newer lawn or rough lawn,it could make a difference. We have some rough stuff we have to mow.

Reactions: Gorm