Yellowstone - new TV "western"

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by BoxsterCy, Jun 21, 2018.

1. BoxsterCy

BoxsterCy Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Living the Dream
    Minnesota
    Ratings:
    +18,665 / 393 / -1
    Watched the premiere tonight. Not sure what to think yet. Leaning hard to it might just suck. Seems like I have seen some of this before (Longmire). Already dislike almost every single character other than the Native American wife and her son. Everyone else seems to be a total unmitigated ******* or a suck up toady. Not sure that is going to do much to get me watching.

• Like Like x 1
  2. TakeCover

TakeCover Active Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    Fun anecdote: Jefferson White, who plays Jimmy ("last-chance" criminal living in a trailer who gets tased/branded and brought in to labor on the ranch), is an Iowa native and ISU alum.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  3. CYdTracked

CYdTracked Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Male
    IT
    Grimes, IA
    Ratings:
    +2,383 / 162 / -1
    Have it recorded on my DVR to watch this weekend. Hard to really gauge most new shows off of 1 episode so I usually will give a show 2 or 3 episodes. I have a hard time getting too attached to new shows anymore because too many of them seem to get canceled after just 1 or 2 seasons.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. SpokaneCY

SpokaneCY Well-Known Member
    SuperFanatic SuperFanatic T2

Apr 11, 2006
    Male
    Manager of Natural Gas
    Spokane, WA
    Ratings:
    +5,862 / 316 / -10
    As someone who works in the natural gas business AND lives in the west, this show will not be my cup of tea.

5. CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
    Male
    IT
    Grimes, IA
    Ratings:
    +2,383 / 162 / -1
    Watched the premiere on DVR last night and it was good enough that I'll give it a shot and keep watching. It's basically a "modernized western" and if you never really liked westerns or don't see this show as a true wstern I could see how this show may not appeal to some. Has some good plots to it with the old school rancher (Kevin Costner) fighting to keep his family land from being taken over by both the Indian reservation and the rich developers. Some internal family struggles too with the son that feels his father sees him as a disappointment, the outcast son who has a child with an Indian woman, and the daughter who moved to the city but is back to do the "dirty work" of infiltrating the rich developer and finding out his plans.

Definitely a lot to process in the first episode, the opening scene was a dramatic attention getter once they panned out the view of what had happened.

6. SpokaneCY

SpokaneCY Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Male
    Manager of Natural Gas
    Spokane, WA
    Ratings:
    +5,862 / 316 / -10
    These are the roles that Costner nails... No nuance, no growth, monotone talking, etc... but I still love him in all his vanilla roles.

Costner is such a good actor you can barely tell he IS acting. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. VeloClone

VeloClone Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Male
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    Ratings:
    +15,660 / 234 / -2
    I wanted to hate him as Jonathan Kent, but I couldn't really do it.

8. CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
    Male
    IT
    Grimes, IA
    Ratings:
    +2,383 / 162 / -1
    https://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/more-tv-news/yellowstone-renewed-for-season-2-by-paramount-network/

The ratings for Yellowstone have been fairly good apparently and the series has been renewed for season 2. I have to say as the season has progressed as much as I like Kevin Costner's character his daughter and the guy that is the branded farm hand she fools around with are becoming the 2 characters that have had the best story lines so far as they both seem to have some dark history. It's a slowly progressing story but I like how they are peeling back the layers behind the history of the characters as the story lines progress.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. cygrads

cygrads Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Retired and just tired.
    Altoona, IA
    Ratings:
    +966 / 78 / -3
    After the first episode I wasn't sure I would like it but each episode gets better.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. dinger

dinger Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Civil Engineer
    Dallas, TX
    Ratings:
    +687 / 33 / -0
    Wife and I are 4 episodes (out of 5) into it and we are hooked.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Turn2

Turn2 Well-Known Member

May 12, 2011
    Clusterfunkeny
    Ratings:
    +5,794 / 137 / -20
    I DVR’ed the first 2 episodes and deleted them after seeing the opener. There’s no recovery from that level of bad.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. farminclone

farminclone Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,796 / 210 / -13
    Are all episodes available on the Paramount App or SlingTV through the channel? I don’t have the package that has the Paramount channel, but would add it if I could watch all the episodes.

13. CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
    Male
    IT
    Grimes, IA
    Ratings:
    +2,383 / 162 / -1
    Can't wait till season 2, hopefully it is early in 2019. Lot of good story lines left hanging in the season finale. Kevin Costner has been great in his role but I think my favorite character so far has been Rip and the episode that had the flashback to how he became one of the branded men really added some perspective to the story behind him. While rural Iowa is not the range of Montana I've been sucked in by some of the story lines as I know just how much people in this state will do anything to keep farm land in their family name over generations before they will sell it to someone that wants to develop it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. cycloneG

cycloneG Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Male
    Software Developer
    Off the grid
    Ratings:
    +5,284 / 82 / -2
    We've really enjoyed this show. Casey is on a dark path.

15. CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
    Male
    IT
    Grimes, IA
    Ratings:
    +2,383 / 162 / -1
    Season 2 trailer just came out and my first reaction to some of the story lines being teased: WOW!

16. burn587

burn587 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Ratings:
    +1,369 / 73 / -2
    I really tried with this show but god was it bad. After 6 episodes of constantly having random people show up for Casey to kill I gave up on it. It had a very promising premise, but some extremely lazy and idiotic writing did it in for me.

Kelly Reilly in the water tank was a bonus though.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
    Male
    IT
    Grimes, IA
    Ratings:
    +2,383 / 162 / -1
    I get that it's probably not for everyone just like I cant get into shows like The Walking Dead or other big shows everyone seems to like. Yellowston surprisingly the highest rated summer cable show and grew its ratings from week to week so it turned into a bigger hit than anticipated. The season finale was quite an episode too leading into this season I think. I'm excited it got renewed for another season as it quickly became one of our favorite shows to watch last summer.

And yes the water tank scene was quite a treat.

18. CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
    Male
    IT
    Grimes, IA
    Ratings:
    +2,383 / 162 / -1
    Season 2 begins tonight! All the previews and extras they have been showing on social media the past few weeks has had me anxious to finally have some new episodes to watch this summer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
    Male
    IT
    Grimes, IA
    Ratings:
    +2,383 / 162 / -1
    Anyone been watching Season 2 this summer? It sure hasn't been a letdown from Season 1 and in some ways I think its been even better. Sucks there is only 2 episodes left of this season then have to wait until next summer for a new season. The acting is really good in this series and the story lines have not disappointed either. The addition of Neal McDonough to the cast to play a new villain character has added nice twist to the stories that where already setup in season 1. Have really enjoyed the behind the story videos they post on YouTube and Facebook after episodes air where the actors break down what happened and add some more insight into the characters. This may be one of the best things Kevin Costner has starred in his career but the rest of the cast have been very good too, especially Kelly Reilly this season probably deserves to win some kind of award for last week's episode alone.

• Like Like x 1
  20. 1UNI2ISU

1UNI2ISU Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +1,153 / 109 / -4
    Rip Wheeler is one of the best characters on TV.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1