XFL Round 2?

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
I think Omaha would be a potential spot for a team. I wish the XFL serves as a more serious league that falls between college and nfl level

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I think Omaha would be a potential spot for a team. I wish the XFL serves as a more serious league that falls between college and nfl level
I think the Nighthawks had a decent following.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
His 11 ideas and some of the top comments would make an amazing product.
His point on gambling is a good one, but it's only a matter of time before the NFL embraces it, and probably not much time either.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
His 11 ideas and some of the top comments would make an amazing product.

Just read through that article and some top comments and I would def be in for watching something like that. I think they should rebrand it away from XFL though as the stigma from it's failure may be hurtful.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Just read through that article and some top comments and I would def be in for watching something like that. I think they should rebrand it away from XFL though as the stigma from it's failure may be hurtful.

The comment about the player who scored the TD has to kick the PAT is so awesome. I want/need to see a dude like Vince Wilfork out there kicking the ball.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
At least this time around it looks like they are doing the right thing and taking their time. The rush to launch the original is what doomed it the most.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfan21

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
The comment about the player who scored the TD has to kick the PAT is so awesome. I want/need to see a dude like Vince Wilfork out there kicking the ball.

How about marking the ball back from where it crossed the goal line?

Like rugby. Barely cross at the sideline? Place the ball 3 yards back from that spot and give it a kick

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Sometimes, I wonder if Vince McMahon even knows the violence in WWE is pretend while the violence in football is very much not.

The NFL is a goliath because of the appetite for football is huge. Between college and the NFL, the buffet is open from August to February. Any startup league is going to have to go where those two are not, which is the back half of February through Mid-August or so.

Guessing these games will be as staged as WWE, and even well beyond how staged the NFL is! (kinda :jimlad)

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I am intrigued by this statement (from the ESPN article):

One of the ways McMahon envisions enticing major media partners is to offer them something the NFL hasn't: more creative feeds of the same game.

"I don't think people want to see the same thing when they're streaming as they see on television," McMahon said. "That's boring. I think fans want it shot in a totally different way, and I think there's an immersive opportunity that's more interactive to the game."
I am a big fan of ESPN's "Above the Rim" footage of college basketball games & also their "All 22" feed for college football - no announcer feed but you still get the crowd noise. If the XFL can do something like that I would probably watch.

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
Clay Travis with some pretty good ideas for this.

https://www.outkickthecoverage.com/bring-back-xfl-new-rules-play/

I'm all in on his "make it more fun/entertaining and less rigid like the NFL".
1, 2, 3, 6, and 10 (no punts past midfield) aren't bad ideas.
4, 5, 9, and 11 start the new league down the same path as the XFL.

Like I said earlier there is a certain segment that is going to really love a hyper-violent, melodramatic, very non-pc culture and that is the exact audience of the WWE. The audience is going to have to be much broader to make this work financially. Garbage football surrounded by antics, melodrama and spectacle is exactly what the XFL was.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
1, 2, 3, 6, and 10 (no punts past midfield) aren't bad ideas.
4, 5, 9, and 11 start the new league down the same path as the XFL.

Like I said earlier there is a certain segment that is going to really love a hyper-violent, melodramatic, very non-pc culture and that is the exact audience of the WWE. The audience is going to have to be much broader to make this work financially. Garbage football surrounded by antics, melodrama and spectacle is exactly what the XFL was.

I had to chuckle at the suggestion in the article where fans could suggest plays to run. Shoot, Jim Walden was on the sharp edge of the spear on that one!

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone