XFL New Rules

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I like the XFL for trying new stuff. The NFL adopted some of it last time. I know the league won't work. Pretty sure Vince McMahon is the only one that thinks it will work. However, here are some new rules that are pretty cool

Two Point Conversions can be 1,2, or 3 points
Overtime is like Soccer. 5 chances at the two point conversion. Offense at one end and your defense is at the other end of the field.

I kind of like it on paper. See if it's fun to watch live.

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/26478796/xfl-3-point-tries-2-point-ot-shootouts

Reactions: isutrevman

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I like the XFL for trying new stuff. The NFL adopted some of it last time. I know the league won't work. Pretty sure Vince McMahon is the only one that thinks it will work. However, here are some new rules that are pretty cool

Two Point Conversions can be 1,2, or 3 points
Overtime is like Soccer. 5 chances at the two point conversion. Offense at one end and your defense is at the other end of the field.

I kind of like it on paper. See if it's fun to watch live.

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/26478796/xfl-3-point-tries-2-point-ot-shootouts

This seems to have all of the pitfalls of XFL 1.0.

Can Vince get NFLPA buy in to bring in talent or be an NFL feeder league?

Would the NFL want anything at all to do with Vince McMahon?

Wonder what the TV ratings expectations are. Do they have a TV package set up?

I just know I'd set a team up on San Antonio

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Over/Under on the number of weeks before "shutting down operations"?
I would say it lasts the whole season because VInce wants it to work and it's his money. It's set up different than the league that just went down. Vince will try all season to keep it going. If it had normal investers I would say 3 or 4 weeks tops.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
This seems to have all of the pitfalls of XFL 1.0.

Can Vince get NFLPA buy in to bring in talent or be an NFL feeder league?

Would the NFL want anything at all to do with Vince McMahon?

Wonder what the TV ratings expectations are. Do they have a TV package set up?

I just know I'd set a team up on San Antonio

Of course they will. He's a rich, old, white billionaire that more or less prints money like they do. This has a much better chance of working than the AAF.

Plus, I love the fact they are going to get games in in a two hour window. Going to be much more attractive to TV partners.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I don't think they'll make the mistake of going into their first season without being certain that they have the funds to finish it.

I don't think any alternative football league can make it, but I appreciate the XFL trying new stuff even if some of it's kind of gimmicky.

I'll be curious to see if they're able to convince any college players to come and play in their league for a year or two until they're able to enter the NFL draft.

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
I am surprised the NFL wouldn't want to invest in the XFL or the Alliance of old. Yes, college football is the NFL's minor league so why support another professional league, but here is why I think they should. Youth football participation is going down. That will be less talent moving into college football, and that will mean fewer guys really truly ready for the NFL. Also, factor in most college programs aren't running NFL friendly offenses you are seeing guys putting up huge numbers in college and can't do anything on the NFL level. So, to combat all that the NFL should want another avenue for guys leaving college to train and develop in NFL friendly environments. If, say, a Joel Lanning plays two solids years in the XFL he may develop into a legitimate NFL player, but now he has no chance to develop his game. I don't think the NFL is playing the long game here.

• Agree
Reactions: Urbandale2013

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I'm trying to find fault in the overtime setup, but I've gotta admit that it sounds kinda fun.

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015
Wouldn't like these changes to the normal game, but look like they could be fun and entertaining for a league that obviously won't be taken as serious at the real thing.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Announced their team names/logos today:

ECgdv6DXoAUxJPg

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
I thought the XFL did a fantastic job in the way they rolled out the new teams with those short 45-50 second videos. If you get the chance, watch some of them.

Videos can be found here:
https://twitter.com/xfl2020

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Of course they will. He's a rich, old, white billionaire that more or less prints money like they do. This has a much better chance of working than the AAF.

Plus, I love the fact they are going to get games in in a two hour window. Going to be much more attractive to TV partners.

The link in the OP says 3 hours.

Luck said the XFL wants games to have a three-hour time limit and the overtime system could be completed in four to five minutes, ensuring that even games that go into overtime would end in three hours, maximum.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Those names are way better than I thought they were going to be.

Missed on a potential "St. Louis Archers," though.

They actually sound like names NFL teams would use, or deliberately echo them...

Cowboys... Renegades
Oilers... Roughnecks

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Those names are way better than I thought they were going to be.

Missed on a potential "St. Louis Archers," though.
Battlehawks sounds cool and Roughnecks is a nice little homage to the Oilers, but the others sound super generic. Vipers, Dragons, and Wildcats?

Marv14

Feb 4, 2017

What does his color have to do with it? ICE Cube owns the 3 on 3 basketball.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Battlehawks sounds cool and Roughnecks is a nice little homage to the Oilers, but the others sound super generic. Vipers, Dragons, and Wildcats?

No worse than Eagles, Bears, Lion, Falcons, Cardinals, and some other generic NFL nicknames with only a loose connection to their city or history. At least those are somewhat normal, stately nicknames, even if they would work just about anywhere, something you would see with a high school rather than a AA ballclub or a third-tier indoor football scam.

Yes, I know the Bears are the "grown up" version of the Cubs and the Eagles are named after the NRA Eagle, but those are thin linkages compared to, say, the Packers or Saints.

So that Houston Roughnecks logo looks an awful lot like the old Houston Oilers logo.

I thought that was, indeed, the point.