Writing a Book

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
Alright, so I've told myself for a long time I really want to write a book. Anyone on here ever done it? Do you have any secrets or tricks that help make the process easier?
TIA

ccruzen

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 19, 2009
Urbandale
Obviously no idea what you want to write and haven't been in your position but, even as a non-writer, I find this super interesting.

Reactions: tyler24

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
Obviously no idea what you want to write and haven't been in your position but, even as a non-writer, I find this super interesting.
Ill look into it. I want to write a non fiction book about overcoming life's obstacles, particularly fear.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
I've written a book. It was many years ago while I was a security guard nights and didn't have much else to do. I wrote it, it was awful, I threw it away. That was nearly 50 years ago. I've started several books since then, but didn't have the gumption to finish them. I'd get a good idea for a plot, or a character's name or something and write a couple of paragraphs, more an outline than anything, then stop as the ideas dried up.

Several years after I wrote my one and only full book, I worked at an office that had an upstairs that was unused and a guy rented a room from the owner so he could come at night and write a book. I don't know whatever became of it, but he was there every night and I honestly think he was there to drink beer and get away from his family more than write a book, but he did make some progress on it. He said he rented the office because he found he didn't get much done at home with a wife and kids as distractions. But he'd bring a couple of big bottles of beer in a cooler every night and some nights, he was three sheets to the wind, so I don't know how he wrote much those nights.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Ill look into it. I want to write a non fiction book about overcoming life's obstacles, particularly fear.

It's a grind. Filled with self discipline, self doubt, uncertainty, hard choices, scary moments... I've known a lot of people who've said they're going to write a book and haven't gotten very far with it.

I think non-fiction will be a little more forgiving. First thing's first, create an outline with as much detail as possible. But make it complete. With a good detailed outline in place, the framework is there.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
It's a grind. Filled with self discipline, self doubt, uncertainty, hard choices, scary moments... I've known a lot of people who've said they're going to write a book and haven't gotten very far with it.

I think non-fiction will be a little more forgiving. First thing's first, create an outline with as much detail as possible. But make it complete. With a good detailed outline in place, the framework is there.

Oh, non-fiction is completely unforgiving due to the necessity of sources and the intensity of the writing.
I took some lessoned learned and shortcut some writing time by preparing three different outlines:
1. The normal outline.
2. Same outline, but with a topic sentence for each paragraph. That gives you a head start before writer's block hits.
3. Normal outline, but with the sources laid out for organized citations.

That said, it still took two years just at writing time, and 4 more ahead of that time to get it rolling.

Reactions: 5Cy

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Oh, non-fiction is completely unforgiving due to the necessity of sources and the intensity of the writing.
I took some lessoned learned and shortcut some writing time by preparing three different outlines:
1. The normal outline.
2. Same outline, but with a topic sentence for each paragraph. That gives you a head start before writer's block hits.
3. Normal outline, but with the sources laid out for organized citations.

That said, it still took two years just at writing time, and 4 more ahead of that time to get it rolling.

I get that, but it's not like there's no "intensity" of writing with fiction. With non-fiction, you don't have to worry about character development, which seriously can take months. The simple fact that non-fiction is all sourced and based in factual information makes it easier to feel grounded. Fiction is much scarier because there literally are no boundaries. It sounds like it'll be a much easier and free writing experience, but no, it's f*cking terrifying.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
I get that, but it's not like there's no "intensity" of writing with fiction. With non-fiction, you don't have to worry about character development, which seriously can take months. The simple fact that non-fiction is all sourced and based in factual information makes it easier to feel grounded. Fiction is much scarier because there literally are no boundaries. It sounds like it'll be a much easier and free writing experience, but no, it's f*cking terrifying.

Actually, you totally have to worry about character development along with factual accuracy and potential real-life implications, depending on your topic, field of study, and whatever.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Actually, you totally have to worry about character development along with factual accuracy and potential real-life implications, depending on your topic, field of study, and whatever.

Right, but with fiction, you're creating and building characters out of nothing. From scratch. You don't do that with non-fiction.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
I don't think I'll have an issue with the fact that it will be difficult and intense. I'm writing on fear. I've lived through thousands of panic attacks in my life and faced doubt with every panic attack I've faced and always bounced back. I love adversity because it challenges you to find the answer you need to overcome it.

Thank you regarding the outline, I have done that piece. I don't intend on it being a long book, I intend on it being a dumb man's version to overcoming any obstacle in your way. Likely it will be 80-120 pages.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
Right, but with fiction, you're creating and building characters out of nothing. From scratch. You don't do that with non-fiction.

Kind of true, but not really. You just want fiction to be more difficult.

Some of the characters in non-fiction are totally unknown to people, so you have to build them up, but economically, because you can't drag stuff out forever. Still, for the reader, you're building them from scratch, and trying to do it from whatever disparate evidence there is. In fiction, you control all the source material as you create it.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Kind of true, but not really. You just want fiction to be more difficult.

Some of the characters in non-fiction are totally unknown to people, so you have to build them up, but economically, because you can't drag stuff out forever. Still, for the reader, you're building them from scratch, and trying to do it from whatever disparate evidence there is. In fiction, you control all the source material as you create it.

Yeah, and that doesn't make it easier. I've done both, neither is easy, but non-fiction isn't as hard because you have a factual baseline that already exists.

• Funny
Reactions: CycloneErik

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
Yeah, and that doesn't make it easier. I've done both, neither is easy, but non-fiction isn't as hard because you have a factual baseline that already exists.
Never thought I'd take advice from a Hawkeye;)

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Alright, so I've told myself for a long time I really want to write a book. Anyone on here ever done it? Do you have any secrets or tricks that help make the process easier?
TIA

I have not, but have always wanted to. A great book to read on the subject is "On Writing" by Stephen King. Not only helpful, but an interesting read too.

KCClone1

Feb 28, 2010
Urbandale
I recently finished the first draft of a fiction book although I won’t be much help to you. It’s just a fun hobby for me. Free time is the hardest part for me. It would sit untouched for months at a time. My best advice if you are serious is to block off time to work on it. Now I need to get serious and start editing. Good luck!

Reactions: coolerifyoudid

WFBClone

Aug 10, 2018
TIA
Greetings.

Without this post becoming too autobiographical, I should let you know that I have written or edited more than 30 books, served as a consulting editor for a major publishing house, and have taught graduate level courses on writing for publication. With a colleague I've even published in the Journal of Scholarly Publishing, many years ago.

I have quite a few sources on writing for publication but a few them are---

1. There are no tricks or shortcuts to writing. Some authors write early in the morning, others at night, some at their work office, others at home. I guess the message here is that you need to find a place and time that works for you.

2. Writing fiction or nonfiction is difficult. Character development is crucial in fiction, but mastery of subject matter is crucial in nonfiction. Just when a nonfiction author has mastered, in his or her own mind, the subject matter, new material is published and needs to be incorporated into the work.

3. A foundation of good writing is voluminous reading. Good writers read good writing in the genre for which they write. They learn from accomplished writers.

4. Get feedback on your writing---lots of it, and take the feedback seriously. You need feedback from people who read with a critical eye and know good writing.

5. Much of the publication process is technical and you will probably need help here, unless you work in publishing. Technical issues include securing a copyright, understanding the style manual of your publishing house, working on distribution of your work, arranging for pricing royalties, income and sales tax considerations and so on. Do you have a publisher in mind, or will the work be self-published? Challenges are associated with either publication avenue.

6. Finally, writing is hard work. It is difficult, time consuming, and frustrating, but very rewarding. When you conceptualize your project and begin the writing process, continue to ask yourself this question: Why would anyone want to read this book?

I don't quite know how to arrange for a conversation, but if you'd like to visit some time, perhaps we could figure out how to get together and talk about writing for publication.

Good luck.

cyphoon

Sep 8, 2011

I co-authored a technical book many years ago. Research where you might be likely to publish and find out how they want to receive the manuscript. We used a custom Word template with specific fonts and formatting styles. Follow their desired format so you don't have to go back and redo everything if they decide to publish.

Also, learn the difference between active and passive voice. People tend to overuse passive voice when they want to sound smart. This might be a bigger deal in the non-fiction world.

Good luck
H

Reactions: cstrunk