Wrestling Facilities at ISU

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
Iowa led the nation in wrestling attendance for 18/19 averaging 8526.3 per match, ISU was 6th at 3569.7 per match.
Tickets for Iowa are $20 for Penn. State, $15 for OSU and Ok. St. and $12 for the other four meets, season tickets for this year were $85.00.

I could not find the data for ISU, it did say season tickets were $85.00 for this year, but no breakdown by induvial meet.

So both schools are losing their ass on wrestling.

"ISU sold $180,000 in tickets and spent, $363,250 for wrestling"

Losing about $180k on one sport for a department that has revenues of over $88 million* isn't "losing their ass" as you said. Yes, they lose money on the sport overall but its not bleeding us dry by any means.

*source: https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
"ISU sold $180,000 in tickets and spent, $363,250 for wrestling"

Losing about $180k on one sport for a department that has revenues of over $88 million* isn't "losing their ass" as you said. Yes, they lose money on the sport overall but its not bleeding us dry by any means.

*source: https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

My point was that we are losing money, and Iowa is losing even more on the sport. If we could afford to dump another million a year into wrestling and bring us up to what Iowa is spending, I am sure we would see better results on the mat, than what we have seen since Sanderson left.
It also gives us a little insight into why he left. ISU did not have the funds or desire to spend that much money on a sport that most schools do not have and few attend.

According to your link, ISU cleared less than 1 million after expensives, not a lot of extra cash lying around. So losing $180,000 is a big deal.

• Informative
Reactions: CyBobby

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
My point was that we are losing money, and Iowa is losing even more on the sport. If we could afford to dump another million a year into wrestling and bring us up to what Iowa is spending, I am sure we would see better results on the mat, than what we have seen since Sanderson left.
It also gives us a little insight into why he left. ISU did not have the funds or desire to spend that much money on a sport that most schools do not have and few attend.

According to your link, ISU cleared less than 1 million after expensives, not a lot of extra cash lying around. So losing $180,000 is a big deal.

If I have an investment that loses $180k and I still end the year with a million dollar surplus, I’d be a happy man.

• Disagree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
Iowa led the nation in wrestling attendance for 18/19 averaging 8526.3 per match, ISU was 6th at 3569.7 per match.
Tickets for Iowa are $20 for Penn. State, $15 for OSU and Ok. St. and $12 for the other four meets, season tickets for this year were $85.00.

I could not find the data for ISU, it did say season tickets were $85.00 for this year, but no breakdown by induvial meet.

So both schools are losing their ass on wrestling.
That’s not what I was asking though. I don’t care about what tickets cost as you had already stated what we brought in for that. I was asking if we would include those that upped for johnny passes what that would bring the loss down too. Same as far as concession revenue what that would bring the loss down too.

edit: does Iowa’s include coaching salaries? Cause Iowa states doesn’t so have to take that into account as well

Last edited:

cywr89

May 14, 2009
If you guys think we spend only $363k annually on wrestling. I have some great land in southern FL to sell you. Dresser makes over $325k himself. The budget is well over $1M. Not sure how it is being reported but that is not the cost to run the program.

Cael’s salary never even doubled when he left. He left because PSU (mainly one donor) was willing to give Cael everything he needed to win. Jamie would have matched or topped the salary but it wouldn’t have mattered. The problem Is we don’t have the donors that other top programs do.

I’m not saying Cael doesn’t make a lot more than Dresser but it’s not salary driven.

Lastly, what is made by each sport is impossible to gauge. Donors can flag their donations toward a sport but it still rolls up to the donation total and is not credited to the sport as far as accounting.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
If you guys think we spend only $363k annually on wrestling. I have some great land in southern FL to sell you. Dresser makes over $325k himself. The budget is well over $1M. Not sure how it is being reported but that is not the cost to run the program.

Cael’s salary never even doubled when he left. He left because PSU (mainly one donor) was willing to give Cael everything he needed to win. Jamie would have matched or topped the salary but it wouldn’t have mattered. The problem Is we don’t have the donors that other top programs do.

I’m not saying Cael doesn’t make a lot more than Dresser but it’s not salary driven.

Lastly, what is made by each sport is impossible to gauge. Donors can flag their donations toward a sport but it still rolls up to the donation total and is not credited to the sport as far as accounting.

Nor do we have the recruiting area. Pennsylvania, Ohio, NY and NJ gives them all the talent they need. The fact that they can choose throughout the country is just a bonus.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011

This is absolutely correct. On both counts. Athletic departments do not account for expenses the same so any comparison is futile. We are spending in the $300K on scholarships alone. Throw in salaries and benefits for coaching and support staff along with travel expenses and we’re spending at least $1M.

Don’t kid yourself. Cael got more money and more financial/facilities resources at PSU. It was an obscene amount more. Pollard filled that poster full of straight up BS as he’s apt to do.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
This is absolutely correct. On both counts. Athletic departments do not account for expenses the same so any comparison is futile. We are spending in the $300K on scholarships alone. Throw in salaries and benefits for coaching and support staff along with travel expenses and we’re spending at least $1M.

Don’t kid yourself. Cael got more money and more financial/facilities resources at PSU. It was an obscene amount more. Pollard filled that poster full of straight up BS as he’s apt to do.

If you look at the BOR report, ISU budgeted $31,847,073 for salaries and benefits, and $8,175,663 for scholarships for the year 2020. So out of the 600,000 that would not include either one in that total.

Iowa does not break it down the same way, which is odd, one would think that the BOR would require both schools to break down the information the same way, but for some reason they do not. Maybe Iowa is including those figures into what they are reporting to the BOR, or maybe they are just spending that much more on wrestling.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
The major reason ISU lost Sanderson is the lack of resources that ISU is willing to pump into wrestling as a whole. ISU is spending about a million less on wrestling than Iowa is, that is a lot of money for a knitch sport like wrestling.
Penn State was willing about able to spend the money, while ISU was really not willing to do so, when we needed to spend that money on JTS and Hilton.

The question we as a fan base should be asking is "which is more important to spend our money on, football and basketball, or smaller sports like wrestling, soccer, Track and field and softball?"

Myself I am fine with spending as much as we can on the men's sports of FB and BB, staying in compliance with Title IX and then allowing sports like wrestling to pick up the scrapes.

Lol it was impossible to compete with what penn state was offering. But good on you to forget that part.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Lol it was impossible to compete with what penn state was offering. But good on you to forget that part.

I have always known that, better recruiting with more money, and Cael did not have to worry about busting his rear end recruiting a Iowa kid, that then flipped to U of I.

I said at the time he left, and Iowa fans were giving us crap, be careful what you wish for. Iowa could control Cael at ISU, we never had the resources to outspend Iowa and they could always bank on the fact that when push comes to shove, most of the better wrestlers would choose Iowa over ISU.

All of that went out the window when Cael went to PSU. He is in THEE prime recruiting area for wrestling and PSU has plenty of money to burn. Since he took the job, Iowa which was the premium program in the country, has won 1 national championship, his 1st year at PSU, since then Cael has won 6. Iowa has been replaced by PSU, just like they replaced Ok. State, as the premium program in the country.

• Agree
Reactions: CyBobby and ca4cy

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
I assume he means they offered 10k more than Cael was making at ISU at the time. KD might make more than him know but the head coaches salary increased significantly when KD was hired.
You are correct... PSU offer was $10k more than what ISU was paying at the time.

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
Maybe it's just me but a "stand alone facility" doesn't really do much for me. I agree that our facilities are competitive but definitely not the best. As long as they have a separate Wrestling only weight rooms, locker rooms, etc. that would seam to be enough. Winning in wrestling can be accomplished anywhere (Just watch any Rocky movie ;). Coaches and workout partners are the most important factor. I'd much rather see the CRTC explode and get a bunch of competitive Senior Level guys... Of course, if money is no object then let's bring back baseball AND build a stand alone facility for Wrestling :)

• Useful
Reactions: CyBobby

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa

I agree with your post re Cael Sanderson esp "willing to give Cael everything he needed to win"....I think that the driving force for Cael was winning National Championships ....Evidently Cael didn't think he could do that at Iowa State and took his show to Penn State and the rest is history....I also agree with "We don't have the rich donors other schools have" at least at the present time....and remember GO Cyclones!

Bluffers

Sep 16, 2009
Ames
I have always wondered about a remodel of scheman for a practice facility. One floor gymnastics, one floor wrestling, and one floor vb if there is enough headroom. I have no idea if the building is currently busy and profitable.

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
Does anybody know how/if the new TV and Webcasts generates revenue for schools? We are now seeing wrestling more and more wrestling on FSN, BTN, Flowrestling and other outlets. I can't help but wonder if these create additional revenues for the Universities that we aren't including in our calculations and discussions. I've heard that the majority of College FB teams also lose money.

psyclone51

Nov 6, 2011
I would be interested in what D1 programs have their own wrestling practice facility and which are the total package (practice & competition).

Any other programs have their own facility?

Cornell has a sole purpose wrestling building. The Friedman Wrestling Center was built in 2002, I think, so was the first of its kind in US college wrestling. It is a lot smaller than OSU, seating only 900 fans, but its strength is as a practice facility (pardon the very weak pun).

• Informative
Reactions: skibumspe and buf87