Would you succeed in 1900?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Imagine what you lived through if you were born in 1900—WWI, Great Depression, WWII, Cold War, landing on the moon, Civil Rights era, Korean War, Vietnam War, two presidents assassinated, one resigned, three others shot, and all the inventions ranging from the plane to the Model T and TV.

I'm not a history buff at all but wouldn't it have just been Kennedy in that time?

I had a grandpa that lived from 1909-2012 so he saw all of those things.

About 4 months before he passed I remember walking in and he was reading a book in a Kindle and it blew my mind how much he had seen develop in his lifetime.

ISUTex

May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
I'm not a history buff at all but wouldn't it have just been Kennedy in that time?

About 4 months before he passed I remember walking in and he was reading a book in a Kindle and it blew my mind how much he had seen develop in his lifetime.

McKinley. If you were born in 1900 you wouldn't remember it though.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

Just sit down and brainstorm lists of those developments sometimes.
In terms of just paying at a store, you'd have things like cashiers, store credit on paper, cashiers putting money in cans to go upstairs to the office (who sends down the change), checks, credit cards, online payments, chip readers, and whatever else.

When my grandma was finally ready to watch a Cyclones game over the computer (2 days before the TV channel started), I was thinking how she would have started just by hearing/playing games, then maybe some over the radio, different types of TV arrangements and devices, and then the online thing.

It's a dizzying amount of change these folks have seen. That's just two areas of life there.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
McKinley. If you were born in 1900 you wouldn't remember it though.

Ahhhh, right, right. 1901. I was thinking it was earlier and to be honest I'd forgotten he even got taken out. Compared to Lincoln and Kennedy he's a bit of a 'always the bride's maid' type of deal.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
In terms of just paying at a store, you'd have things like cashiers, store credit on paper, cashiers putting money in cans to go upstairs to the office (who sends down the change), checks, credit cards, online payments, chip readers, and whatever else.

When my grandma was finally ready to watch a Cyclones game over the computer (2 days before the TV channel started), I was thinking how she would have started just by hearing/playing games, then maybe some over the radio, different types of TV arrangements and devices, and then the online thing.

It's a dizzying amount of change these folks have seen. That's just two areas of life there.

Going through my mom's belongings, I found an old book of counter checks. Now, if you are scared of identity theft, those things were about as bad as you could get.

Reactions: CycloneErik

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

My gramps still did things very 'Depression era' style in a way. He had a crazy bright mind about many things but just an example one year for his birthday they got him a free cake at the restaurant, and he just couldn't wrap his mind around something being free like that when it cost X amount to make it.

Also during the late 2000s recession he questioned just how much people were learning from it, since football stadiums were still packed and people were still buying plenty of things, traveling, etc. He had a point.

Beernuts

Nov 9, 2017
We live on a small farm. Still have our barn, hog houses, chicken house and cob shed, plus a couple of machine sheds. Thus we could have livestock and grain to feed them.

But our house has propane heat and with no electricity we would have to find some type of heat source and a method to get water.

Daily living would take a majority of our time. I would be skinnier and in much better shape..but most likely would die earlier from lack of health care. Would need to rely on our kids more and work together as a family.

Winters would be very long and tough to survive.

Beernuts

Nov 9, 2017
Going through my mom's belongings, I found an old book of counter checks. Now, if you are scared of identity theft, those things were about as bad as you could get.

Counter checks were amazing. The local bank had to know their customers buying habits / signature to check if things looked odd. I bet there was less identity theft back then compared to today?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
We live on a small farm. Still have our barn, hog houses, chicken house and cob shed, plus a couple of machine sheds. Thus we could have livestock and grain to feed them.

But our house has propane heat and with no electricity we would have to find some type of heat source and a method to get water.

Daily living would take a majority of our time. I would be skinnier and in much better shape..but most likely would die earlier from lack of health care. Would need to rely on our kids more and work together as a family.

Winters would be very long and tough to survive.

Think about living in a time when we just ate by needs and likely rationed food.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Counter checks were amazing. The local bank had to know their customers buying habits / signature to check if things looked odd. I bet there was less identity theft back then compared to today?

When I was a bank intern, I filed checks, you learned the signature of customers quickly. Problem with the counter checks was, no exact number on them, it was filled out by the customer, also they had no owner printed on the check. So if you didn't have the right number listed, you had to decipher the signature and make sure you had things correct. My dad didn't use his middle initial until a new customer at the bank with one letter less in his last name and identical first name started getting messed up with my dads account. He would get overdrafts because they guessed the wrong person at the bank and dad had to go through things.

Beernuts

Nov 9, 2017
When I was a bank intern, I filed checks, you learned the signature of customers quickly. Problem with the counter checks was, no exact number on them, it was filled out by the customer, also they had no owner printed on the check. So if you didn't have the right number listed, you had to decipher the signature and make sure you had things correct. My dad didn't use his middle initial until a new customer at the bank with one letter less in his last name and identical first name started getting messed up with my dads account. He would get overdrafts because they guessed the wrong person at the bank and dad had to go through things.

Yes. I also interned at a bank and part of the job was reviewing monthly customer checks and comparing them to the statement. There were always some mistakes...but not many and the customers were understanding. Of course most checks were made to local businesses and you recognized customer loyalty.

Our bank president would on a daily basis review any checks / deposits over $10,000. Part of it was to see if any of the funds were moving to a competitor bank.

Reactions: Angie

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Yeah, the tetanus vaccines wasn't created until, what, the 1920s? I'd definitely get a scratch and die. Also, I can't even cook out of a box, let alone rendering my own lard or whatever the hell they did back then, so we'd all starve.

I can make soap if you know how to render dead animal fat. Match made in turn of the century heaven!

Saw at turn of century average work week was 100 hours. I did that for brief spells as a CPA and that was with creature comforts of an office. I did NOT like it.

Last edited:

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
If I lived where I grew up, I'm nervous about my choice of wives back then. Two class mates were about two miles away. One a ho and another a B

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Imagine what you lived through if you were born in 1900—WWI, Great Depression, WWII, Cold War, landing on the moon, Civil Rights era, Korean War, Vietnam War, two presidents assassinated, one resigned, three others shot, and all the inventions ranging from the plane to the Model T and TV.

I've seen some scattered posts / references to capturing those memories NOW as we lose large swaths of those folks who have watched the world evolve... The last 100 years is a complete hit list of highs and lows this world can offer and inflict.

Beernuts

Nov 9, 2017
If I lived where I grew up, I'm nervous about my choice of wives back then. Two class mates were about two miles away. One a ho and another a B

I'd chose the ho. The B would be nagging 24 hours a day, the ho could bring in some money.

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
1929 would still be a *****

But I'm pretty good with my hands, I could eek out a living in 1900