Worst rated beers

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
How many people really, I mean truly, enjoy the huge IPA, DIPA, TRIPA, craze? Are these beers actually good, or do people just want to think they are good? I've tried quite a few of the craft beers and half the time they end up tasting like ****. I'll drink PBR, Busch, Miller Lite, and all the other "crap" beer, too.

I can enjoy those beers, but it might be a developed taste. To each their own though, I'm like this with the trend lately of so many of the highly acclaimed beers being barrel aged. I think barrel aged beers taste like ****.

uro cy

Oct 28, 2006
How many people really, I mean truly, enjoy the huge IPA, DIPA, TRIPA, craze? Are these beers actually good, or do people just want to think they are good? I've tried quite a few of the craft beers and half the time they end up tasting like ****. I'll drink PBR, Busch, Miller Lite, and all the other "crap" beer, too.
This is where craft beers jumped the shark. At some point it simply became a contest to see who could dump the most hops in.

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
I can enjoy those beers, but it might be a developed taste. To each their own though, I'm like this with the trend lately of so many of the highly acclaimed beers being barrel aged. I think barrel aged beers taste like ****.

I agree that it is a developed kind of taste, same with whiskeys and other types of liquors. I never understand the hate any type of beer gets, honestly. What's good to some is terrible to others, and vice versa. I like some of the IPA, a lot more of the hazy IPA's now, and I hate some of them. I like some "bad" beer, and hate other "bad" beers.

Reactions: NWICY

ESciGuy

Mar 16, 2010
Joliet, IL
Back in the early 80's at ISU, Old Milwaukee from a keg was quite tasty and priced for poor college students. Blatz was the pits, though. Sale-priced @ $3.99 a case. Had a roomie walk from Towers to HyVee West, toting the case back on his shoulder.

SeventhSon

Apr 13, 2014
You haven't had bad beer until you've had some of this:
U-YolrJb7f-vmvgPsnJsAQ.jpg

NodawayRiverClone

May 1, 2018
I noticed that Grain Belt (& GB Nordeast too) was not on that list.
Cheap beer that's pretty good? It's a definitely cromulent possibility.

GB Premium and GB Nordeast are great midwestern lagers for people like me who like lagers. August Schell Brewing does a good job as a small brewer.

Reactions: SeventhSon

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.

IPA' s are pretty good. Some are bad. Can only drink one or two though. Which is fine.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006

Love ‘em. They are great.

Reactions: CloniesForLife

baller21

Mar 15, 2009

There are a lot of good IPAs out there with many different flavor profiles. Some really bitter, some sweet, some with big juicy flavors but the last couple years it’s definitely been the haze craze-kind of like drinking OJ. I prefer more of a west coast style with more bitterness and some floral dankness to it.

I’d say IPAs, especially the bitter ones, are definitely more of an acquired taste than other styles. Took me awhile to get used to them but now I really love them.

Having said that I’m not gonna rip on whatever someone else likes to drink, so many different styles and everyone has different tastes.

Reactions: Macloney

baller21

Mar 15, 2009

Oh man I love barrel aged beers but I drink them like whiskey, just sip on them at room temp. You miss out on a lot of flavor if you drink them cold.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
As with any craft beer some are really good and some aren't so great. Definitely a taste I have acquired over the years.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
I can drink IPA but they kinda just taste like grass was mixed in

Reactions: BigTurk

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
Back then I drank the mass produced stuff/keg shop fire sale beers. Now that I can afford and now that Iowa has some really damn good breweries I support that. I’m all over the board on beer selection ipa’s, stouts, ambers, pilsners, lagers, Kolsch’s etc. anymore I’m doing the lighter stuff but still local.

Reactions: Blandboy

2ndCyCE

Dec 21, 2011
Tulsa
I brew my own beer - everything from Hefeweizen to IPA and lager to stout. But I always have domestic light beer in the refrigerator - usually Busch Light.

It is perfect the drink after a long bike ride / run, or working in the yard / mowing.

Reactions: NATEizKING