Woodworkers Thread

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I know my family will borrow it from time to time. Would the 12 be too heavy to move in and out of cars ever so often
Much easier in a pickup.

Buy a quality stand, Dewalt or Ridgid, dont save 50 bucks and get a Harbor freight and hate it.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I know my family will borrow it from time to time. Would the 12 be too heavy to move in and out of cars ever so often

It probably won’t fit in the trunk of a standard car if that’s what you’re thinking. It’ll fit into an SUV or anything with a hatchback.

I think I have 16 or so inches of range on a 90 degree cut. That much range also takes a deep bench or separate stand or cart to use it. My bench is about 32 inches deep and it barely fits. I originally set up my bench when I had a small 10” hitachi non slider.

I’m going to build this cart for mine at some point. I saw it on the Woodsmith shop show on PBS.

Last edited:

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Much easier in a pickup.

Buy a quality stand, Dewalt or Ridgid, dont save 50 bucks and get a Harbor freight and hate it.

Ryobi too cheap? Should I just spend more for the DeWalt like others have said?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

I personally think Ryobi serves a great purpose at a fair price. Sure I would buy their sanders, jigsaws, leaf blowers but I would stick to a big boy for a miter saw (Dewalt, Makita, Ridgid, Milwaukee). The tolerances are just plain better.

• Agree
Reactions: throwittoblythe

do4CY

Aug 30, 2020
Anyone have advise on sliding meiter saws? Re-building a deck next summer and am wondering what to get.

10" or 12"? Brand?

Thank you
I have a Bosch 12" slider that I got probably close to 10 years ago. It was before they came out with their glide saws. It will cut through some big pieces of wood. It is heavy and awkward but is quite manageable. I love the thing and am glad I bought it.

Like others have said, I would go look at them in person. Pay special attention to the handle, some are vertical and some horizontal. Mine is horizontal but has a trigger on each side so it's ambidextrous which comes in handy at times.

CyJeans

Apr 18, 2017
Beaverdale, IA
It probably won’t fit in the trunk of a standard car if that’s what you’re thinking. It’ll fit into an SUV or anything with a hatchback.

I think I have 16 or so inches of range on a 90 degree cut. That much range also takes a deep bench or separate stand or cart to use it. My bench is about 32 inches deep and it barely fits. I originally set up my bench when I had a small 10” hitachi non slider.

I’m going to build this cart for mine at some point. I saw it on the Woodsmith shop show on PBS.

I have a cart for mine that I made from plans I got from FixThisBuildThat. Looks very similar to those. It was one of the first pieces of shop furniture I built. Highly recommend building one if you don't have room for a miter saw station.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I like Hitachi. 12 inch saws are quite heavy and I only find that I need the 12 for depth of cut not necessarily length of cut. You get about 15 inches long on the 90 with a 10 inch saw and 18 inches long with a 12 inch. As far as money you get what you pay for.

DJSteve

Apr 29, 2010
Ames
www.stevesmobilemusic.com

The things I immediately notice about that Ryobi are that the fence on the left is not very tall (and doesn't have an adjustable top section like many do--which would allow you to have better support near the blade if cutting at 90 and the ability to get it out of the way for cutting bevels) and the side supports look quite flimsy. Some saws don't even have the side supports, so you may or may not care. If you want to go cheaper, I think there may be better options than that saw, though.

I didn't think to mention it in my earlier post, but I have a Ryobi stand for my Kobalt saw. It's OK for what I paid for it, but I definitely wouldn't call the stand spectacular. Especially if you're tying to use the wing supports at full width to support a long board (like a 1x6 deck board) the wing tubes flex a BUNCH.

For projects that I'm not using the miter saw a bunch I don't bother setting up the stand, and in that case having decent wing supports on the saw itself is quite useful IMO. The wing supports built into my saw are one of its better features... they are pretty sturdy and also have flip-up stops that I've used a bunch if cutting multiple pieces at the same length. Having ruler measurements molded into the fence is also quite useful for being able to cut a short piece to length without having to screw around with a tape measure (a feature it looks like the Ryobi has, and the current Kobalt doesn't).

Again, if at all possible, I would go look at some stuff in person and so you can directly assess fit and finish, play in slide and pivots, fence, angle stops, etc. If you've been around very many tools, chintzy aspects aren't that hard to spot... but will be a lot easier to assess in person than in pictures on a website.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN

Just upgraded from a 10” ryobi to a 12” DeWalt. Haven’t used the DeWalt yet so I’ll just share my experience with the ryobi:

- Overall a decent saw. Got the job done for a total newbie like me when I started. I bought ryobi because I wasn’t sure how much I’d get into woodworking. Turns out I got into it a lot. So I decided to upgrade.

- The slider could cut just about anything I needed it to. I think it might’ve done up to 10” lumber at 90 degrees. I did not personally come across a job where this saw couldn’t cut what I needed width wise.

-I could never get theblade perfectly plumb. It always left a very small bevel on all my cuts.

- As someone mentioned, the stand is very flexible. It will move around. Again, not a big deal if you’re not doing fine woodwork.

- The laser was not accurate at all. It didn’t line up with the left, right, or center of the blade. If I needed accuracy, I’d have to mark the piece, then line up the blade using my eye. I could never rely on the laser.

If it comes down to it, you can always sell something you don’t like. I just sold my 3 yr old ryobi saw and stand for $175 on FB. covered half the cost of my new DeWalt.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Is there a good place to get quality Hardwoods in NE Iowa? I saw people mention Ankeny but that would be quite drive for me that I would prefer not to make.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
I have heard good things
Yeah they have a pretty good selection. Right now they want you to call ahead before going I think. Just tell them what you’re after and they’ll already have it picked and ready to load up when you get there.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
So the top in the picture above started bowing and splitting over the last week and a half with the temp and humidity change and needs rebuilt. It was dead straight when glued up. I need to buy a moisture tester. Any suggestions on which one to buy?

View attachment 77263

Looks like it was probably because of the MDF attached to the back. It settled flat again after removing it. I think it’s gonna be salvageable. I’ll probably weld up a frame for structure out of 3/4 inch square tubing and toss the MDF.

CA72BF82-C4D3-4D30-94ED-84673A70D483.jpeg

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
Bought myself an early Christmas present this year. I'm so excited to use this thing. I upgraded from a cheap Ryobi jobsite saw. This thing is light years more accurate and of course has the added safety feature. Can't wait to use it!

View attachment 78261

Very nice. Not gonna lie, I'm a little jealous! Now you just need about 10 really great jigs and a sweet router table in that extension wing!

My all time and favorite and most used jig is this one (I made a couple minor tweaks to my version). So many people build big sleds, which are nice, but this little jig does 95%+ of what I need for cross-cutting and it's small, simple and takes up little space.

Have fun!

Last edited:

CyJeans

Apr 18, 2017
Beaverdale, IA
Bought myself an early Christmas present this year. I'm so excited to use this thing. I upgraded from a cheap Ryobi jobsite saw. This thing is light years more accurate and of course has the added safety feature. Can't wait to use it!

View attachment 78261

Samesies, bout the exact same set up back in October. It cuts like a dream and I love it. The only downside I have found is that it shoots sawdust everywhere. More so than my previous rigid table at least. My next purchase will be a legitimate dust collection set up.

CyJeans

Apr 18, 2017
Beaverdale, IA
Very nice. Not gonna lie, I'm a little jealous! Now you just need about 10 really great jigs and a sweet router table in that extension wing!

Have fun!

I have never been a huge fan of the router table in the extension wing. You can't use the same fence, at least not for every cut, so it seems to be more of a hassle to me. Granted I am designing an outfeed table for mine with a router table built into that so I am probably splitting hairs.

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
I have never been a huge fan of the router table in the extension wing. You can't use the same fence, at least not for every cut, so it seems to be more of a hassle to me. Granted I am designing an outfeed table for mine with a router table built into that so I am probably splitting hairs.

I took the time to build a nice router table fence that quickly attaches (clamps) and detaches to my table saw fence. I love the convenience and space-saving feature of my router table in the table saw extension. But, everybody needs to find a solution that works well for them. Definitely not a one-size fits all situation.

Since this is a WW thread, here is my kitchen that I redid over the summer, including building all the cabinets from scratch. Fun project, but nice to have done too! (Picture isn't the best as the kitchen is a little messy, but it's what I have on my phone at the moment)

Attachments

• PXL_20201105_164922598.jpg
    PXL_20201105_164922598.jpg
    959.1 KB · Views: 35

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron