Woodworkers Thread

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Wow. Those look like some good deals. I have a **** ton of projects in our new house and have been starting my research on sourcing wood. Best deal I found so far would be going to one friends place 2 hours away, picking up logs, hauling it 3 hours to my other friends place to mill, then taking it back home an hour away to dry before I can use it. That doesn't work with my ADD brain lol. I actually travel to Clear Lake a few times a month so that would be an easy stop...

Nolan was super nice and easy to work with. He has a ton of stock and threw in a bunch of freebies on top of such a great price.

• Informative
Reactions: Tri4Cy

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
Just got an email about these being on sale from Rockler. Free shipping if you sign up for their mailing list.

View attachment 92010

FWIW I just bought this combo through Home Depot (I like a local source to return/exchange if I ever have issues) and the total cost was $170 after tax. There was an additional discount on top of the sale price of $179!

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Copying these posts into this thread because it's more active:
Jet makes an affordable one. I thought about adding another to my shop and came across this.
Nice, I will definitely look into that.

Another big question I have now that I think about it is do you all do anything special for you electrical in your shop? I have not really had any issues yet because I haven't been running multiple things at once but as I grow I am thinking it is an issue that I should probably be mindful of.

This filter is $146 on Amazon and you get back 10% on an Amazon CC rewards.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Copying these posts into this thread because it's more active:

This filter is $146 on Amazon and you get back 10% on an Amazon CC rewards.

That Wen filter is the one I have and I have had zero issues. You can see it looks identical to the Grizzly one for 230 and almost the same as the Shop Fox for 225.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
That Wen filter is the one I have and I have had zero issues. You can see it looks identical to the Grizzly one for 230 and almost the same as the Shop Fox for 225.
Yeah that's why I got the Wen. The controller gives it off that someone is making them for all these companies.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Any electrical gurus that can tell me why my heater almost burned the house down on Saturday?

My wife smelled electrical burning through the wall so I rushed home and shut everything in the garage down and aired it out. When I started flicking stuff back on it was obviously my heater.

You can see some of the clips started turning black on the adjustment dial on the bottom left of the pic but the main part that started to melt was a connection to the motor by the black spot.

The heater is a 5000W 240V one from Menards. This would be the third winter it has seen daily use. It did run for a couple weeks this year before this.

9E9B3393-E70A-4E1B-B730-2B8CE81DC192.jpeg
D2A9007A-013F-47A6-8CDA-2E6E5FB737CD.jpeg

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
Any electrical gurus that can tell me why my heater almost burned the house down on Saturday?

My wife smelled electrical burning through the wall so I rushed home and shut everything in the garage down and aired it out. When I started flicking stuff back on it was obviously my heater.

You can see some of the clips started turning black on the adjustment dial on the bottom left of the pic but the main part that started to melt was a connection to the motor by the black spot.

The heater is a 5000W 240V one from Menards. This would be the third winter it has seen daily use. It did run for a couple weeks this year before this.

View attachment 92197
View attachment 92198

Yikes! I'm glad she caught it in time. Wish I could be more help to diagnose the problem.

wintersmd

Jul 2, 2014

View attachment 92197
View attachment 92198
WOW, you are lucky. I had a 240v heater from that the fan motor went out one night last winter. When out to the garage in the morning, and could smell electric burn smell. Now I am skidish in getting another heater.

wintersmd

Jul 2, 2014
Ok fellow woodworkers. Need some advice. I have 2 chunks of spalted maple, approximately 13" x 10"x 9". Looking for someone with a big enough ban saw that can mill down to 1" thick pieces. Customer wants me to make cutting boards out of it. The wood came from a tree in her yard that blew over during the storm last year.
Any advice or help is appreciated.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
WOW, you are lucky. I had a 240v heater from that the fan motor went out one night last winter. When out to the garage in the morning, and could smell electric burn smell. Now I am skidish in getting another heater.

That’s exactly what happened with this one. I’m wondering if there’s a reason this brand isn’t around anymore.

Reactions: wintersmd

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron