Why does Iowa do the Florida gator chomp?

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Not sure where they got it, but I sure had fun mocking the Hawk Fans in our section by doing it to them every time their offense failed on 3rd down. My arms were tired after that game.

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
The "chomp"we do at basketball games is a holdover from the Hamm's Beer song/chant that used to be played before and during the games.

The song got removed due to its Native American warpath beat.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc7HoWEk6y8]YouTube - Hamms Beer Bear[/ame]

As far as why Iowa does it, I'd bet they have a similar reason that isn't readily apparent.

Oh, by the way, the Gators reportedly stole the chomp from Florida State, who reportedly stole it from the KC Chiefs, who reportedly stole it from the Milwaukee Braves. Or something to that nature.

Last edited:

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
That chompy thing annoys the hell out of me.

Speaking of other things that annoy the hell out of me...does Oklahoma's band know ANY OTHER FREAKING SONG besides their fight song? I heard it at least 3,000 times on Saturday. They would even do it after they stopped us for a 2 yard gain on 2nd down.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Speaking of other things that annoy the hell out of me...does Oklahoma's band know ANY OTHER FREAKING SONG besides their fight song? I heard it at least 3,000 times on Saturday. They would even do it after they stopped us for a 2 yard gain on 2nd down.

Abso-freakin-lutely. Not only is it all the know, they never stop playing it either.

Have to admit, it probably works for them. I was about ready to run to the top and jump off the upper deck half way through the 3rd quarter :arghh:

price26

Sep 1, 2006
Ames, IA

I know, I heard them from the other side of the stadium as well. Seems like they played all day long and played the fight song the whole entire time.

Does anyone else find it ridiculous that both Texas and Oklahoma brought a portion of their band up for their games with us? Obviously they have a little more money then they know what to do with.

I know our band usually gets to go to one away game (right?), which when it is Iowa, that is the one they go to. But I assuming that the Oklahoma band usually gets to go when they play OSU or Texas or one of the other south schools, but our band doesn't send a portion of their contingent to away games as far as I know.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
Vader attends Iowa games? Impressive....most impressive. Too bad we're adept at finding their thermal exhaust port that's no more than two meters wide.
Oh man, Robot Chicken reference - REP FOR YOU!

My guess is that if Iowa Fans saw this thread. They would claim Florida stole the Gator Chomp from them. They are that dilusional.
They did! And, Iowa can still be BigTen champs this year. AND, next year the Hawks will be national champions!!!!!

I don't know...they use it pretty good. When they get a big 3rd down against you and your punt team is coming out and you're deep on your side of the field and the music is playing and the crowd is all chomping...it is pretty intimidating. I don't care if its copied, if we had something half as effective I'd use it even if every other school in the country did it first.

I do like the gator chomp - even when the Gators do it.

Of course, when Matt Roth did it against the Gators in 2004, he was copying them :D

• Dislike
Reactions: dcorbatt

acody

Nov 25, 2006
Because most Iowa fans are unrealistic and out of touch with the real pulse of their own team. Iowa football is not a Top 25 football program. I'm really amused and entertained listening to the WHO radio soundoff post game call in show. Zable has the venerable sage advice and cautions the hawk callers advising them that this season's meltdown is really the norm, based on his experience of over 50 years of broadcasting Iowa. I believe the actuary professionals call it "the reversion to the mean". You know, when things revert back to normal based on historical data. Then there is the latest generation. John(or whatever,Jon) Miller. This is equally entertaining. Miller is a sports version of dr. Phil, Opra or dr. Laura. Everything is good for Iowa and we are all happy in hawkeye land. He is a young guy that admits that his life long dream is to follow Iowa sports. Then he gets a sports radio talk show and fakes interest in UNI, ISU and Drake. That is really insincere. But what is really entertainment is his analysis of Iowa football. He really believes they have some big time elite program and he is now a game day coaching expert also questioning the offensive coodinator remarking he is zigging when he should zag.

goldmember

May 31, 2006
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wGR4-SeuJ0"]Are you guys referring to the one and only Chad Vader?[/ame]

It's too bad they no longer play the Hamms Beer Song during MBB games, everyone in Hilton use to do the chop.....yet another part of Hilton tradition which has disapeared over the years.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
Because most Iowa fans are unrealistic and out of touch with the real pulse of their own team. Iowa football is not a Top 25 football program. I'm really amused and entertained listening to the WHO radio soundoff post game call in show. Zable has the venerable sage advice and cautions the hawk callers advising them that this season's meltdown is really the norm, based on his experience of over 50 years of broadcasting Iowa. I believe the actuary professionals call it "the reversion to the mean". You know, when things revert back to normal based on historical data. Then there is the latest generation. John(or whatever,Jon) Miller. This is equally entertaining. Miller is a sports version of dr. Phil, Opra or dr. Laura. Everything is good for Iowa and we are all happy in hawkeye land. He is a young guy that admits that his life long dream is to follow Iowa sports. Then he gets a sports radio talk show and fakes interest in UNI, ISU and Drake. That is really insincere. But what is really entertainment is his analysis of Iowa football. He really believes they have some big time elite program and he is now a game day coaching expert also questioning the offensive coodinator remarking he is zigging when he should zag.

Hate to break it to you, but since the early 80's, Iowa has been a top 25 program. Obviously right now they aren't. Not even close. But even historically, they're in the top 35 or so based on wins, conference titles, and even "poll national titles" in the 50s.

• Funny
Reactions: dcorbatt

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
And like we don't copy Nebraska's tunnel walk now . . .

That is the only thing I think about when we do the camera on the team as they walk to field, complete with red carpet a la Nebraska.

Sorry, but that is just how I feel about the tunnel walk and it has no bearing on the Iowa "Gator Chomp".

I believe Osboune has just crushed the Callahan tunnel walk...stay tuned.

ornryactor

Jun 3, 2006
Ames
I know, I heard them from the other side of the stadium as well. Seems like they played all day long and played the fight song the whole entire time.
UGH, I know. I was in the student section- almost as far away from the OU pep band as one could possibly be- and I still heard their fight song over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over. Others are correct- they would play it for anything, or even no reason at all. Irritating as hell. I guess the silver lining is that they didn't bring the full band- I would have had to run over there, grab a trombone and bludgeon the entire ensemble to death.

Does anyone else find it ridiculous that both Texas and Oklahoma brought a portion of their band up for their games with us? Obviously they have a little more money then they know what to do with.

I know our band usually gets to go to one away game (right?), which when it is Iowa, that is the one they go to. But I assuming that the Oklahoma band usually gets to go when they play OSU or Texas or one of the other south schools, but our band doesn't send a portion of their contingent to away games as far as I know.
If I'm not mistaken, all of the South teams except Baylor have athletic departments that contribute financially to the marching band. Our department is really good about cooperating with the band, but doesn't fund it or support it in any way other than giving them (us?) the north end zone seats.

Our band gets to go to one away game a year...ish. This year, the full band is going to Kansas, and a very small pep band went to Nebraska. Any year the ISU-Iowa game is in Iowa City, that's the band's only trip. In 2005, we didn't go anywhere because they counted on making a bowl and giving the band a nicer trip with the money they'd saved. The music department is really strapped for money right now, so there is very, very little money for the marching band to use. There are a few donors who give specifically to the ensemble, but that primarily covers normal operating costs. It doesn't help that we have a huge band; getting 380 people anywhere gets expensive.

Someday, we'll hopefully have a USC-level setup where the band goes to every game, period. Until then, enjoy shouting along with the announcement: "Aaaand now..... the priiide of Iowa State...... the Iowa State University CYClone FOOTball VARSITYYYYYYYY MARCHING BAND!!!"

drum1306

Sep 17, 2007
I believe our band is traveling to the Kansas game this year, but yes normally, they don't do any except Iowa. And that stupid fight song almost drove me nuts.

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
Of course, when Matt Roth did it against the Gators in 2004, he was copying them :D

sorry, but the gator chomp sucks. It's dumb when Florida does it...even dumber when ANYONE else does it...and speaking of dumb: Matt Roth, yeah also did the heisman pose after a meaningless sack during a beatdown from USC. And I don't apologize for calling him dumb, because I've met him and know friends from the I.C. who can attest to that. I've met and liked some other former hawks who were well spoken and nice people such as Nate Kaeding and Dallas Clark. But Roth was maybe the biggest meathead I've ever been in the presence of.

superfan

Oct 8, 2006
League City, TX

You expected anything else from the OU band? There doesn't need to be an excuse to play Boomer Sooner. To be fair, they did play the OU chant once or twice, and I thought I heard "Oklahoma" once.

I do hate that song, though. I don't think there's a simpler fight song in the country. Seriously, there's only 16 (and that's a stretch) different words in the whole thing! 'Boomer', 'Sooner', 'OK-U', 'Oklahoma', 'I'm', 'a', 'born', 'and', 'bred', 'when', 'I', 'die', 'I'll', 'be', 'dead', and 'rah'. I heard Texas Fight way too many times two weeks ago, but at least they have two versions of that song they can use, and it's not nearly as obnoxious.

I will give both UT and OU's bands some credit though. They're both pretty impressive in person, and I do really like they take the time to learn the opponent's fight song/alma mater to play for the visiting crowd before the game.

j4state

May 21, 2006
Visit site
And like we don't copy Nebraska's tunnel walk now . . .

That is the only thing I think about when we do the camera on the team as they walk to field, complete with red carpet a la Nebraska.

Sorry, but that is just how I feel about the tunnel walk and it has no bearing on the Iowa "Gator Chomp".

No doubt. At least that 3rd down chomp, or whatever it is, looks kinda cool. The tunnel walk rip-off is downright embarrassing.

If you haven't done it, I highly recommend traveling to other Big XII stadiums and comparing our intro to theirs. It seems like everyone else has an original idea with creativity and excitement. Ours looks copied and has no thought put into it.

herbiedoobie

Jan 3, 2007
Germany
I do hate that song, though. I don't think there's a simpler fight song in the country.

I think the EIU fight song, especially when sung by drunken trailer trash fans is simpler:

"We will fight fight fight for Iowa! Fight fight fight for Iowa! Fight fight fight for Iowa! (repeated like 150 times)

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
If I'm not mistaken, all of the South teams except Baylor have athletic departments that contribute financially to the marching band. Our department is really good about cooperating with the band, but doesn't fund it or support it in any way other than giving them (us?) the north end zone seats.

We talked to some Texas band members a few years ago... They said their band is independently funded and has enough reserves to last 50 years if they didn't raise another dime... Gotta love that oil money!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron