Who's YOUR starting QB?

drbishop4isu

Feb 4, 2014
Richardson is a nice QB, but I don't see how anyone can just sit here and type that they think Richardson has been the better of the two between he and Rohach. A) Richardson has one win as a starter. ONE. B) Richardson has NEVER thrown for more than 300 yards in a game. Something Rohach has already done twice in half as many starts. C) Richardson is not durable. He is somewhat of a tweener, and although Rohach isn't very big either by comparison, he's not going to be scrambling around as much taking hits. Rohach has to have a leg up at this stage of the game. Being said, I've voiced my opinion and I'll accept whatever decision the coaches reach.

cuphues

Aug 5, 2011
Dallas
Reesing beat out an incumbent (Kerry Meier), who then switched positions to WR & became a big difference maker.
KU's best year, their leading rusher was a fullback who was recruited as a linebacker (Brandon McAnderson)
The best WR was a recruit they secured 2 weeks before classes started after he blew up in a HS All-star game (Marcus Henry).

The player that gives us the best chance to win will be selected. It is Mangino's way.

For the record, I am not trying to insinuate that Reesing was not a hell of a QB. Or that Kerry Meier wasn't a great player as well. I think Meier was simply a great athlete that could excell as multiple positions whereas, I think in our situation, both Rohach and Richardson are QB's, period. Neither will end up switching positions. So, even if neither Rohach or Richardson ever have the success that Reesing did, I still think Mangino has greater flexibility of two pure QB's to work with coupled with better talent across the board at the RB and WR/TE skill positions.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Richardson is a nice QB, but I don't see how anyone can just sit here and type that they think Richardson has been the better of the two between he and Rohach. A) Richardson has one win as a starter. ONE. B) Richardson has NEVER thrown for more than 300 yards in a game. Something Rohach has already done twice in half as many starts. C) Richardson is not durable. He is somewhat of a tweener, and although Rohach isn't very big either by comparison, he's not going to be scrambling around as much taking hits. Rohach has to have a leg up at this stage of the game. Being said, I've voiced my opinion and I'll accept whatever decision the coaches reach.

Richardson played pretty well in the spring game.

Spring game defense > Kansas defense

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
I get your point if all you look at is stats but if you actually watch them it is the exact opposite. Richardson is much smarter with making decisions. Rohach is better physically when you are talking about things like arm strength. It depends on who develops better in the offseason. I personally think it is a complete toss up. If I had to pick though I would guess Richardson, but thats me because I would rather have someone who makes less mistakes.

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
For the record, I am not trying to insinuate that Reesing was not a hell of a QB. Or that Kerry Meier wasn't a great player as well. I think Meier was simply a great athlete that could excell as multiple positions whereas, I think in our situation, both Rohach and Richardson are QB's, period. Neither will end up switching positions. So, even if neither Rohach or Richardson ever have the success that Reesing did, I still think Mangino has greater flexibility of two pure QB's to work with coupled with better talent across the board at the RB and WR/TE skill positions.

Hope I didn't come across you were insinuating Reesing wasn't very good & I did not mean to come across as saying either Richardson or Rohach would change position or even transfer after a decision is made. I meant to point out how KU's decision making process happened during that time and how Mangino will ultimately lead the decision-making for our offense. As some pointed out, he also used 2 QBs at time at KU. I just think we will know our plan once one is settled. If 1 QB, he will be named and have won the job. If 2, then there will underlying reason(s) for that. Otherwise, I totally agree with your comments on our 2 QBs and our skill position players.

I also wanted to point out the other 2 positions and who played them for KU and how unconventional of selections they were leading up to that year. Obviously, KU & Mangino's staff set a plan with the players they had, implemented it and did so very successfully. Mangino made the same base statements during his presser as to have a basic philosophy to utilize the players to their strengths.

CoachK

Dec 3, 2013
IOWA
I think it's Roach's job and DLC could possibly steal it. Roach played real well last year in the final fraction of the season. I believe DLC is the type of quarterback that can change the game with his feet and thats what we need to get to that 8,9,10 game winning level. I thought Richardsons arm strength is weak, not to mention his durability. Idk much about Lanning.

proisu

Jan 11, 2008
nowhere
I've heard a million times that Rhoads keeps his hands off the offense, and the majority of ridiculous QB carouseling has gone on since Herman left (Jantz was legitimately injured when Barnett took over for him in '11). I'm 95% sure those were Mess's calls.

I'm picking Richardson to be the guy. He's been the better of the two when healthy, and he reminds me of Todd Reesing in a lot of ways.

I don't really care either way though, as Rohach developed quite a bit last year and was looking sharp in the last few games. I think either guy will do just fine given some time to throw.

WRONG!!!!!!! Mess did not switch QBs, that was Paul's call during the game

ISpyCy

Sep 17, 2011
Harlan, IA/Lincoln, NE
.....Paul Crewe?

09000d5d82980dc2_gallery_600.jpg

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
This is a tough question. I gotta go with Rohach here since I feel that he has the better accuracy out of the two of them. However, with "BIG MAN" Mangino calling the offense, I believe the true starter will be evident at the start of the season.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron