Who is going Camping!!!!

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Just a hint for those of you driving down.

Atlanta is not fun during the day. Recommend NOT taking the bypass/loop around. Stay on I-75 and go through downtown. The bypass has as much traffic or more and all the trucks are mandated to go around. So driving through the city is best.

As long as you're not solo (It's the carpool lane) just get in the left lane and keep up with the traffic in front of you.

As far as Nashville, it's a series of exits and splits to stay on I-24 so be alert. And I've had just as long if not longer delays in traffic there than Atlanta.

I wish I could suggest an alternate route that misses Atlanta but there really isn't a good option.

There's a saying in the SE. Even when you die and go to heaven they route you through Atlanta first.

And yes, I-4 in Orlando is a mess undergoing massive updates.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

Atlanta is not fun during the day. Recommend NOT taking the bypass/loop around. Stay on I-75 and go through downtown. The bypass has as much traffic or more and all the trucks are mandated to go around. So driving through the city is best.

As long as you're not solo (It's the carpool lane) just get in the left lane and keep up with the traffic in front of you.

As far as Nashville, it's a series of exits and splits to stay on I-24 so be alert. And I've had just as long if not longer delays in traffic there than Atlanta.

I wish I could suggest an alternate route that misses Atlanta but there really isn't a good option.

There's a saying in the SE. Even when you die and go to heaven they route you through Atlanta first.

My goal is to hit Atlanta between 2 am and 6 am

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
We're gonna drive to Nashville and enjoy the night life there on the first night, then fly the next day to Orlando ($181 round trip from Nashville). Will spend 3 nights in Orlando.
Are you renting a car in Orlando? I was thinking about driving and doing the Nashville stop but didn't consider cheap flights from there.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
We'll be going through Atlanta somewhere around 8 PM on the way there and way back.

Reactions: aauummm

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Anyone been to Cocoa Beach? I'm heading there and looking forward to being in the water.

agrabes

Oct 25, 2006
I got Omaha direct flight 27th and direct flight back 1st for $730 with carry on and insurance. First bowl game and first flight I've booked myself.

Any feedback on how I did/what I should look for next?

Probably depends on your location, preferences, etc. I got a direct flight from Minneapolis to MCO for $447 on Delta that includes carryon, etc from 12/27-12/31. You could have gotten a budget airline (Allegiant, Spirit, etc) from Des Moines or Cedar Rapids for $250 if you booked yesterday, but I personally wouldn't chance that for the bowl trip. They are unreliable and can delay flights by a day or more based on mechanical issues or if they don't think it will make them enough money. Not sure what prices are today.

A good tip is to use Google Flights. It allows you to compare multiple airlines, departure airports, and arrival airports at the same time. It also gives you a sense of how changing your arrival or departure date can change the price of the flight. Then you can choose what works best for you. Some people are willing to spend more to get on an airline they like or to fly from a closer airport. Some are willing to take the risk on an Allegiant flight.

Otherwise my advice (for what it's worth) is to book a hotel ASAP. You can wait a bit on tickets for the game but I would still get that in the next few days.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
I want to persuade all you 25 to 45 year olds to go to the Bowl game....Playing the Bluest of Blue Bloods maybe only happen once for Cyclone fans and I am pleading with all of you to GO, see Our Mighty Cyclones take on the Greatest Blue Blood of the all....NOTRE DAME!

HellsBells if I were 50 years younger I would GO....and remember Go Cyclones Beat the Irish!!

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
Are you renting a car in Orlando? I was thinking about driving and doing the Nashville stop but didn't consider cheap flights from there.
Not sure. Our hotel is only a mile from the stadium, but we may rent a car so we can drive out to the Kennedy Space Center and other places.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Anyone been to Cocoa Beach? I'm heading there and looking forward to being in the water.
It’s not bad. Better than the gulf side (Clearwater area) to me.

There are some decent public beaches just south of there towards Melbourne (Satellite Beach) that are less tourist filled. We like The Fat Snook right on A1A just south of Cocoa Beach. But there are a lot of good places to eat and drink.

Last edited:

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio

I have mostly stopped renting cars unless going to do allot of driving. My wife and I love uber and lyft and have actually saved money over a rental if we plan smart. With two or more splitting the bill a real good idea in my opinion.

• Agree
Reactions: Remo Gaggi

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I got Omaha direct flight 27th and direct flight back 1st for $730 with carry on and insurance. First bowl game and first flight I've booked myself.

Any feedback on how I did/what I should look for next?

You did fine. Hard to get good prices once the bowl matchups have been made. Low to mid-700's are the "plane is nearly full rate." Once it gets up in the $900's, the airline is selling one ticket and will try to bump someone else. Which does introduce an interesting possibility. If you have some flexibility, you may volunteer to be bumped, take the voucher, as long as they get you to Orlando in time.

The only way to beat those prices is to add inconvenience, such as driving farther to Chicago or using one of the other airports (TPA, PIE, DAY, JAX), but that adds complications on the way that I don't want.

Now, you need to think about housing/local transportation. We found that MCO had no rental cars through Enterprise (so I booked one through the closest Enterprise location). Pick up on Friday afternoon. Return on Sunday afternoon (when they are closed, so no problem with crossing the 24 hour period).

I imagine that Uber is plentiful, but there is no way it can be plentiful enough for something like this. I want my own car.

And I bought a parking pass for Lot 6 through the stadium website. $42.

Hotels are not expensive if you don't mind being a little ways away. Orlando is built for conventions (along International Drive) and attractions (Disney/Universal). They can handle it, but I don't think it will be quite as smooth as when people stay the entire time right near the convention center.

P.S. Maybe prices are high in Omaha because of all the Husker fans going to their bowl game. Hahahaha.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I have mostly stopped renting cars unless going to do allot of driving. My wife and I love uber and lyft and have actually saved money over a rental if we plan smart. With two or more splitting the bill a real good idea in my opinion.

Yeah, but have you calculated what it will cost to tailgate with an Uber?

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
You did fine. Hard to get good prices once the bowl matchups have been made. Low to mid-700's are the "plane is nearly full rate." Once it gets up in the $900's, the airline is selling one ticket and will try to bump someone else. Which does introduce an interesting possibility. If you have some flexibility, you may volunteer to be bumped, take the voucher, as long as they get you to Orlando in time.

The only way to beat those prices is to add inconvenience, such as driving farther to Chicago or using one of the other airports (TPA, PIE, DAY, JAX), but that adds complications on the way that I don't want.

Now, you need to think about housing/local transportation. We found that MCO had no rental cars through Enterprise (so I booked one through the closest Enterprise location). Pick up on Friday afternoon. Return on Sunday afternoon (when they are closed, so no problem with crossing the 24 hour period).

I imagine that Uber is plentiful, but there is no way it can be plentiful enough for something like this. I want my own car.

And I bought a parking pass for Lot 6 through the stadium website. $42.

Hotels are not expensive if you don't mind being a little ways away. Orlando is built for conventions (along International Drive) and attractions (Disney/Universal). They can handle it, but I don't think it will be quite as smooth as when people stay the entire time right near the convention center.

P.S. Maybe prices are high in Omaha because of all the Husker fans going to their bowl game. Hahahaha.

Really appreciate your thoughtful response!

• Friendly
Reactions: aauummm

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
Trying to purchase tickets and it is telling me midfield is only left for 8 which is what I want. But the section it says is TBD 26. Where the hell is that? If its saying to be determined 26 i dont see a midfield section 26?

Can anyone in the know spread some knowledge. **** I feel like my 70 year old grandpa asking a basic technology question

• Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: CyBobby and aauummm

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Trying to purchase tickets and it is telling me midfield is only left for 8 which is what I want. But the section it says is TBD 26. Where the hell is that? If its saying to be determined 26 i dont see a midfield section 26?

Can anyone in the know spread some knowledge. **** I feel like my 70 year old grandpa asking a basic technology question

If you are buying through the ISU Ticket Office, you aren't buying seats, just placing an order. They will assign you seats based on space available (in order of donors, not first-to-buy). You will find out what level you got when you see the credit card charge show up shortly before the tickets arrive in the mail.

IAC1858

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 1, 2008
Ankeny, IA
The listed sections are placeholders until the actual seats are assigned. Orders are open until tomorrow evening, and I believe the assignments will be posted on Thursday.

• Friendly
Reactions: CloneFan4

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

I would avoid going through Nashville and Atlanta during either rush hour like a plague. Lots of southern cities like those (and Charlotte and Raleigh come to mind, too) grew way faster than their highway infrastructure. Traffic in Orlando can be Mad Max levels of crazy in its own ways, too, if you hit it at the wrong times, just like it can in Atlanta.

Adjust based on your own point of departure, but...

Ames to Nashville = 11 hours
Nashville to Atlanta = 4 hours
Atlanta to Orlando = 6.5 hours

I would leave Iowa in the late morning, which puts you into Nashville in the late evening/early night after the traffic has calmed down.

If you are going to swap drivers and "Cannonball" this the whole way without stopping, you can just keep rolling at that point. You will go through Atlanta in the middle of the night and show up in Orlando after the morning traffic has cleared.

If you are going to stop, stopping a little past Nashville -- Murfreesboro? -- would make sense. Get through Nashville late after traffic has cleared, hit the hay, sleep in, and then go through Atlanta in the late morning/midday after the worst of the morning rush hour is over. You would get into Orlando in the evening for dinner, then you can crash and wake up the next day and enjoy your time there. Reverse this for heading back to Iowa.

:)

• Informative
Reactions: aauummm and ca4cy