Where Will ISU End Up if the Big 12 Implodes?

Where Will ISU End Up If the Big 12 Implodes?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
I look at it like this, its an opportunity for a redo for their conference. They fired their comish last year, they have the only network fully owned by the league without a partner such as Fox or Espn. Maybe they are thinking if we can pull this off, we have basically all the football from the Missouri River to the Pacific, not counting Nebraska of course.

Rebadge the league, gives them teams in that 11:00 window instead of forcing schools on the West Coast to start a game at 9:00 local time, and try to move up from number 5 P5 league to maybe number 2 or 3.

I just don’t see that adding to the pac 12 conference helps them. I do hope I am wrong… but I am trying to understand how adding 2-4 schools changes the story for them. If there is no brand name to come with the others I just think it is a hard sell.

if I am the pac 12 I leverage my geographic isolation to my advantage, stay at 12, with the brands I have, region I represent, I keep my place at the table. As revenues start to grow I will distribute more per team with 12 than if I add a group with limited brand value. This is not a knock on ISU…. ISU may be more attentive than many other teams currently in power conferences. But there is not an option to reset from square one.

my hope is that the ACC convinces ND to join and we beat UConn/wvu for the final spot there.

Reactions: blackuniforms

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
THIS! The idea that the B1G would wait until the equivalent of UT and OU are looking for a new home would be completely idiotic! That may never happen again ever.

but why add? If I am the big 10 I dont need to add anyone. I can stay at 14. Going to 16 to be at 16 makes no sense. Of the available teams not sure how any b10 additions would be seen as a “keeping up” if the sec adds OU and Tex. They would be better to hold off and see who they could get later…. Hope I am wrong. But just being honest.

MIClone

Aug 31, 2011
Central Michigan
The day ISU joins the AAC is my last day as an ISU fan...and I'm in the majority of ISU fans on that.

They won't and I don't want them to. I'm just pointing out that there are a lot of options out there. The Big 12 remained a very strong conference with only 10 teams after NU, A&M, UM and CU left, despite predications to the contrary, and ISU was an important part of that.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
but why add? If I am the big 10 I dont need to add anyone. I can stay at 14. Going to 16 to be at 16 makes no sense. Of the available teams not sure how any b10 additions would be seen as a “keeping up” if the sec adds OU and Tex. They would be better to hold off and see who they could get later…. Hope I am wrong. But just being honest.
They may indeed do just what you are saying, but doing so does not guarantee that name brand schools will be there down the road, and it also gives the impression that they are giving up the mantle of the best football conference to the SEC. May mean nothing, or it may mean a lot.

20eyes

May 15, 2020
They won't and I don't want them to. I'm just pointing out that there are a lot of options out there. The Big 12 remained a very strong conference with only 10 teams after NU, A&M, UM and CU left, despite predications to the contrary, and ISU was an important part of that.
I get it, but there really aren't many options. Some people seem to think we will just keep going but in a lesser league...that's not how it will work. Without P4 status, the whole thing craters. I can't stress this enough - none of us has ever been a fan of a Cyclones team that wasn't in a power league. After about two weeks in an AAC the fans will all be ready to bag it and find a different way to spend their Saturday.

MIClone

Aug 31, 2011
Central Michigan
Yep, I will totally quit watching college athletics. I cant stand to watch Iowa State go through a G5 demotion after watching us grow in the Big 12 and nationally.
I don't want ISU to go to the ACC, but I'd prefer that over the SEC. I'd rather seen the B1G or Pac 12 than either of those.

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
  • Agree
Reactions: werdnamanhill

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
I don't want ISU to go to the ACC, but I'd prefer that over the SEC. I'd rather seen the B1G or Pac 12 than either of those.
I'd rather be in the SEC. Our recruiting would be off the charts compared to now. Probably be more competitive with the middle and bottom of the conference than you think.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
If that’s ever updated Iowa makes the list.
Really? I didn't think Iowa was that backward or conservative, but more moderate. Could be wrong. Things change I guess.

Regardless, if PAC wants to do something with the Big 12 orphans, they might have to change their stance on some of these issues. Probably if it involves money they will.

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
Really? I didn't think Iowa was that backward or conservative, but more moderate. Could be wrong. Things change I guess.

Regardless, if PAC wants to do something with the Big 12 orphans, they might have to change their stance on some of these issues. Probably if it involves money they will.
I rechecked and edited my post. But don’t hold your breath.

Reactions: t-noah