Where is Steele Jantz?

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
This pod may have been one of my favorites from any CF podcast. I was 11 for the “Steele Jantz Game” against Iowa (and the Okie State game) so those Rhodes teams were really the first memorable “good” football I got to see ISU play.

Reactions: BigCyFan

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Thinking about how long ago the Steele Jantz game was makes me feel old as hell.

• Agree

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Dude went off the grid

But did he? He just kind of lived his life. That's the thing that I took from the podcast---I'm not sure where the whole 'Steele Jantz is the biggest mystery ever' thing came from. From what it sounds like he's just been living his life--working with his family for a while and then opening his own business. It sounds like he was ahead of the curve on getting off of social media, hell a lot of people talk about doing that now.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
This pod may have been one of my favorites from any CF podcast. I was 11 for the “Steele Jantz Game” against Iowa (and the Okie State game) so those Rhodes teams were really the first memorable “good” football I got to see ISU play.

Hell, I was in my 30's and it was the first time I ever really thought Iowa State could be good at football. The McCarney years were fine and beating Iowa was a ton of fun. But those teams hardly ever won big games against other teams. And those first 4 Rhoads years were the first time that I thought we could beat legit good teams.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
But did he? He just kind of lived his life. That's the thing that I took from the podcast---I'm not sure where the whole 'Steele Jantz is the biggest mystery ever' thing came from. From what it sounds like he's just been living his life--working with his family for a while and then opening his own business. It sounds like he was ahead of the curve on getting off of social media, hell a lot of people talk about doing that now.
Agree. Pretty refreshing actually.

Just wild as us fanatics live/breath Cyclone football and I know I would envision if I was a star player would relish in it....or I guess we just see the current commitment HS and current players seem to have (transfer portal, etc) not just walkaway like he did. Good for him.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Agree. Pretty refreshing actually.

Just wild as us fanatics live/breath Cyclone football and I know I would envision if I was a star player would relish in it....or I guess we just see the current commitment HS and current players seem to have (transfer portal, etc) not just walkaway like he did. Good for him.

The weirdest part is that I always took the whole thing as he wasn't interested in Iowa State or was left with hard feelings. But it seems as though he didn't. He was interested in talking about his career here. He said he'd like to again. He had nice things to say about his teammates and interesting things to say about his coaches. He didn't seem any different from most other former players.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Even easier.

Some crazy honesty from him about what sounds like dysfunction from the OC's or even staff (from the top) of the time.

I wish there was more transparency like this from former players.

Yeah, he made it sound like Mess as the OC was….. a mess! Just basically drawing plays up in the dirt in the huddle.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
This was a really good listen. I really enjoy hearing from guys like this. Because they can tell funny stories and about good times. Like for example, Hayworth Hicks came up, really really good player. I loved that guy, what ever happened to him?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Yeah, he made it sound like Mess as the OC was….. a mess! Just basically drawing plays up in the dirt in the huddle.

I also think it sounded like things weren't great from the top.

I heard somewhere along the line that CPR was really rigid and I wonder if he simply didn't manage things very well.

It sounded in the podcast like Herm and Mess both got caught trying to overcomplicate things (I think OCs tend to do this) instead of just going with what's there even if it's really simple.

Reactions: Letterkenny

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
The weirdest part is that I always took the whole thing as he wasn't interested in Iowa State or was left with hard feelings. But it seems as though he didn't. He was interested in talking about his career here. He said he'd like to again. He had nice things to say about his teammates and interesting things to say about his coaches. He didn't seem any different from most other former players.
Me too. I think that's what made him good. He knew football wasn't his life which is probably very... freeing? [this coming from a guy who's never been close that situation]

Letterkenny

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 26, 2023
Yeah, turns out that if someone isn't on social media, they can be really hard to find.

Reactions: madguy30