• Fire Prohm as head coach immediately and pay buyout

• Fire Prohm at end of season and pay buyout

Results are only viewable after voting.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
Sounds like a Prohm recruiting problem to me. One and two and dones are not new to the sport. Prohm has failed to assemble a team that can compete... Repeatedly.... He has had the 3 worst conference loses at hilton ever, and has zero conference wins this year.

it’s not a recruiting problem. Prohm has brought in some of the highest rated recruits and recruiting classes for ISU. It’s an in game coaching and a player development (more specifically on the bigs than the guards) issue. Every coach should be striving to bring in more talent (one and dones and two and dones).

Reactions: socalcy

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Well, honestly people just bring up clones to Prohm. Up and coming mid major coaches with short job records. If we change, I want a proven “name” coach. If they are a great coach, but can’t recruit, who cares?

Then we are never changing coaches because JP isn't going to shell out the cash for a name coach.

I hear there are a lot of high school coaches who want the job. You all really want to ditch Prohm? He simply just recruited a bit too well, got one and dones and two and dones. They scared off future recruits and then left early.

We are currently 200th in the NET ranking. Only Oregon St. and Washington are below us for P6 schools. I'm fine with keeping him for another year due to the circumstances, but this is a level of suck rarely achieved at this program.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
it’s not a recruiting problem. Prohm has brought in some of the highest rated recruits and recruiting classes for ISU. It’s an in game coaching and a player development (more specifically on the bigs than the guards) issue. Every coach should be striving to bring in more talent (one and dones and two and dones).
It is partially a recruiting issue. I mean ok he got a few highly rated guys like THT and Wigginton but he also got a whole bunch of guys that aren’t major conference players. Same with transfers. ISU has one of the least talented rosters in conference the last two years.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Then we are never changing coaches because JP isn't going to shell out the cash for a name coach.

We are currently 200th in the NET ranking. Only Oregon St. and Washington are below us for P6 schools. I'm fine with keeping him for another year due to the circumstances, but this is a level of suck rarely achieved at this program.
I wouldn’t cite NET. It’s crap especially right now and in this year.

larrysarmy

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
Agree with all of this especially the "no wiggle room". I'm legit worried about the no transfers from young guys and keeping them in tact.

And the Covid issues are NOT helping. Contrary to many, this team needed to play KU and TX and frankly let the young guys get time and humbled. No games/no team practice is stunting growth for any Feb success, just keeps pushing timelines back.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
It is partially a recruiting issue. I mean ok he got a few highly rated guys like THT and Wigginton but he also got a whole bunch of guys that aren’t major conference players. Same with transfers. ISU has one of the least talented rosters in conference the last two years.

I tend to agree with you but my post was more responding to the previous post that noted the one and dones and two and dones being the problem which is most certainly not the problem. It’s bringing in talent to fill in behind those guys as well as (and more so this) developing the other guys that aren’t the one and dones as well as in-game coaching issues along the way that are more the issue.

• Winner
Reactions: Snydes

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
And the Covid issues are NOT helping. Contrary to many, this team needed to play KU and TX and frankly let the young guys get time and humbled. No games/no team practice is stunting growth for any Feb success, just keeps pushing timelines back.

If we have players that aren’t humble after 2-7 and 0-5 start in Big 12, then there are other problems.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

The young guys aren't getting time anyway. We have two underclassmen getting more than 10 MPG.

larrysarmy

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
If we have players that aren’t humble after 2-7 and 0-5 start in Big 12, then there are other problems.

I’m referencing the freshman, who need PT and the understanding of what it takes to compete and win at this level. Not playing or practicing is not helping.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Devries makes so much sense it's crazy.

I am 100% for a change, and I don't know anything about DeVries or any other candidate. But I will say, there are no sure things in hiring.

Whenever you hire a coach, its a crapshoot. A guy may look great on paper but turn out to be underwhelming or a complete disaster. E.g. McDermott -- at the time just about everyone thought it was a great hire and made a ton of sense. Didn't work here. I bet Creighton folks were not thrilled when he went over there but it has worked out well in the event.

I think this is one reason why JP moves slowly to pull the trigger - no matter how hard you research and interview, you are gonna spend a lot of money and you might not get any better. So only pull that trigger when you just absolutely have to.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I want a coach like Scott Drew. No Idea about his current staff, but maybe he has a solid assistant we can steal.

Wow, not many years ago this board was (rightfully) flaming Drew for being just an idiot of a coach. Including me. He really HAS improved over time, have to give him credit. No more jokes about being out of timeouts with 14 minutes to go anymore.

Malone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 7, 2010
Des Moines
Wow, not many years ago this board was (rightfully) flaming Drew for being just an idiot of a coach. Including me. He really HAS improved over time, have to give him credit. No more jokes about being out of timeouts with 14 minutes to go anymore.

I give Drew tons of credit. His large improvement provided a template for Prohm's path to betterment and showed it's possible. Unfortunately Steve doesn't appear to have the ability or self-awareness to realize his base level of knowledge isn't sufficient and to seek out ways to improve. Obviously we can't see practices but it's apparent the right things aren't being coached and there is no strategy on player development.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I give Drew tons of credit. His large improvement provided a template for Prohm's path to betterment and showed it's possible. Unfortunately Steve doesn't appear to have the ability or self-awareness to realize his base level of knowledge isn't sufficient and to seek out ways to improve. Obviously we can't see practices but it's apparent the right things aren't being coached and there is no strategy on player development.
Drew always seemed to have an idea of what he wanted he just wasn’t a great coach. He has really learned. Prohm even now in year 6 doesn’t seem to have any sort of plan on what he’s trying to do. There is no vision.

PineClone

Jul 16, 2008
I really feel that there is a good chance that Coach Prohm resigns after the season. Many here have commented that he'll continue on because he can't leave the money on the table. Many have also commented that he's a good guy. If you're already a rich man, why continue with the daily pressures of failure? If you're already rich, why hold a program and its fans hostage purely for the payday? That doesn't seem fun.

On the other hand, maybe its a pride thing and he feels he can turn things around. I hope that isn't the case.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
If you believe this I have some ocean front property in Arizona to sell you.
Cy Crazy ...Now listen... if they do not want your "ocean front property in arizona" I have some lovely Alligator Infested Swamp Land down in Louisiana for them to buy....LOL....Next to my Niece's Property!

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
Drew always seemed to have an idea of what he wanted he just wasn’t a great coach. He has really learned. Prohm even now in year 6 doesn’t seem to have any sort of plan on what he’s trying to do. There is no vision.
His teams always D up and always rebound, two things we haven’t had in over a decade.

Reactions: Halincandenza

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
watched some of Utah St vs Colo St tonight - man both of those teams would crush us.

In just 10 minutes of watching, I'm sold on Craig Smith. Utah State moves the ball, can guard dribble penetration, had several offensive rebounds, and scored on out of bounds plays 3x (2 were lay ups). They play as a team, hustle, cut, and have shooters who can get open and drain the three. Also have a big man who's developed over his career, and he had 8 boards after 10 minutes in the 1st half. They specifically took out CSU's best player, and could easily guard the pick and roll and didn't automatically switch on wimpy screens.

Reminded me of what good basketball looks like.

4 tourney teams this year in the mountain west - TJ's in a tough spot this season for sure.