Nov 15, 2011
Our 2015/16 team had upperclassman
Niang
Morris
Thomas
Nader
Burton
All in the NBA.

plus McKay and Naz (although this may have been the year he sat out due to injury)

They only finished 10-8 in conference play.

I used to be in the 'Well it just took some adjustments and it's not like they were all 1st rounders' camp but now that there's legit regular NBA minutes there we could say those first two CSP teams could have been better across the seasons.

Reactions: ChamplinCyclone22

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Somehow we hired Greg McDermott's brother/cousin and didn't know it. I'm guessing after he's gone he'll end up doing ok somewhere else.

• Agree
Reactions: mb7299

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
Our 2015/16 team had upperclassman
Niang
Morris
Thomas
Nader
Burton
All in the NBA.

plus McKay and Naz (although this may have been the year he sat out due to injury)

They only finished 10-8 in conference play.
Exactly. He underachieved big time with that roster. I don’t think some people realize how insanely hard it is to make the NBA. Less than 1 percent of college players play in the NBA or at least stay in the NBA but that team had 6 guys (and the reigning big 12 defensive player of the year) who would end up playing multiple years in the NBA. He’s been bad since day one but talent has carried him to people thinking he was a good coach. It’s been clear since year one that he was not a good coach.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Not sure what to do with Prohm, but yikes, he has been bad the last couple years. Seems like he has gotten some good players in the program, but it is like he can't actually coach basketball.

Met him at an ISU function a couple years ago and got the feeling he didn't want to be there and didn't give a crap, so maybe that is the problem.

Last edited:

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
Somehow we hired Greg McDermott's brother/cousin and didn't know it. I'm guessing after he's gone he'll end up doing ok somewhere else.
I actually think McDermott is a solid coach. His system didn’t work in the Big 12 at the time. Couldn’t play half court in the Big 12 and win.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Just watch this team for one half and you’ll see:

1. There is no identity.
2. There isn’t significant effort, discipline, or attention to detail in any area of the game.
3. The team is poorly coached.
4. There are no consequences for poor effort or performance. Young was giving near zero effort out there and yet stayed on the floor.

Prohm was handed the program in the best shape it’s ever been in. And absolutely cratered it.

BringBackJohnny

Feb 11, 2009
Ames
Exactly. He underachieved big time with that roster. I don’t think some people realize how insanely hard it is to make the NBA. Less than 1 percent of college players play in the NBA or at least stay in the NBA but that team had 6 guys (and the reigning big 12 defensive player of the year) who would end up playing multiple years in the NBA. He’s been bad since day one but talent has carried him to people thinking he was a good coach. It’s been clear since year one that he was not a good coach.
Been saying it for about half a decade now. Sad thing it was too easy to wear cardinal and gold glasses and gloss it over. Now we’ve lost it all.

Reactions: CyBobby

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Does he still do a call in show? He needs asked tough questions like these:

How many 20+ losses should an ISU coach be allowed to have at Hilton? Multiple per season?

Do your players play as hard as their opponents?

you went through a prolonged offense/defense drought again... why not make a personal or scheme change during that stretch? This happens EVERY GAME?

there are many others that come to mind but you get the point.

• Winner
Reactions: ChamplinCyclone22

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I actually think McDermott is a solid coach. His system didn’t work in the Big 12 at the time. Couldn’t play half court in the Big 12 and win.
Greg learned. His system at Creighton gives much more freedom to his guards.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
I’m all aboard the Jon Scheyer train. I’m done with the mid major coaches and we sure as hell wont have the money to bring in a Thad Matta type. Bring me a hungry up and coming assistant.

CT clone

Aug 10, 2020
Put John Beilein on speed dial. I hate zone d but there isn’t a better coaching option out there with a track record of success as well as having the ability to look at recruits and talk about players he has put in the NBA.

Help Support Us

Become a patron