What position needs the most improvement for 2011?

What position needs the most improvement for 2011?

• Offensive Line

Votes: 13 7.0%
  • Quarterback

Votes: 55 29.7%
  • Running Back(s)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wide Receivers

Votes: 51 27.6%
  • Defensive Line

Votes: 60 32.4%
  • Linebackers

• Secondary (Corners and Safetys)

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Kicker

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • Punter

• Kick/Punt Returner(s)

• Total voters

woodie

Apr 10, 2006
i think the following boys are available for the defensive line:
rump-----
laing
mcdonough
woods
jenson
black
these r the ones that may be in the rotation. rump and laing will probably start unless the no rivals star jensen from ankeny becomes the next jordan carsjen(sp.) i think coach rhoads has a pretty good eye and coach wally has a pretty good eye for defensive people. wally surley know how to get more out of a defensive unit than any other coach i have known..

does anyone think ole wally taught danny mac a few tricks when danny mac was a south florida for his one year stint. i hope danny mac increased his skills under wally and under urban meyer so ole danny mac can become a winner at north texas state. looks like mac has put together some very good assistant coaches at north texas state. mack is a very good public relations man--he just had some poor decisions in selecting his offensive coordinators marty fine and barney cotton; too bad he was not able to keep steve loney..... danny mack starts right put of the chute playing the university of houston next fall.that will be a very tough game..

cdekovic

Mar 25, 2006
Ames
Way too many dropped passes as a group. Jake made some fantastic catches but he's gone. Room for improvement on the offensive side considering the type of offense we run.

CloneSolo

Feb 11, 2010
Marion, Iowa
Quarterback period. No denying this. You can't hide this position. Every other position lends itself to creativity and game-planning to disguise deficiencies. If you don't have a quarterback then everything else really doesn't matter.

Next Question.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Obviously, DL, OL, WR, and QB all need improvement BUT...

We have to STOP leaving so many DAMN points on the field.

PLEASE give me a consistent kicker.

Reactions: LeSchmick

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Our offense needs to improve as a unit, so my vote is offensive line. Because a dominant offensive line will help everybody else overperform. The best QB, Running Backs, and Wide Receivers in the world won't do us any good if there is no time for the play to develop.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I'd say WR is our most pressing need. We have some solid possesion guys but theres no known commidity on that WR corp that scares anyone. We need a guy there that can stand out, it seems like last year SJ,DD, and Lenz were interchangable. They all did the same type of things, heck you could throw Franklin in there as well, all for the most part ran the same types of routes and YAC yard were few and far between.

But, IMO the biggest reason I think this spot is more pressing than others is that we won 12 games the last 2 years with a patchwork DL and I think most people agree we showed improvment there the last half of the season. I think the team has shown more consistent improvement on defense under this staff and have faith that next year will be another step up in play from that side of the ball. Basically I think this staff has shown it can win games and be competitive with worse athletes than we'll have next year on defense. If the offense could have "overachieved" as much as the defense the last 2 years we'd have 3 o4 more wins the last 2 years.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
we have a lot of work to do before were a 7-9 win team next season. things take time, clearly

:sad:

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Our offense needs to improve as a unit, so my vote is offensive line. Because a dominant offensive line will help everybody else overperform. The best QB, Running Backs, and Wide Receivers in the world won't do us any good if there is no time for the play to develop.

Our OL was average in 2010, and good in 2009. Having the same at other positions is needed more, and is more feasible, than having greatness at OL.

Clones21

Jan 20, 2008
Des Moines
Defense is going to need alot of improvement, but i believe this offense is one pocket passing QB away from being able to put up 28+ points a game.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
If anyone picks LB I'm gonna punch them in the face. :jimlad:

Its really a testament to our coaching staff, because heading into the 2010 season, a lot of us on here were really worried about our LB corps. Now I know for sure that I'm not, and apparently no one else is either.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Its really a testament to our coaching staff, because heading into the 2010 season, a lot of us on here were really worried about our LB corps. Now I know for sure that I'm not, and apparently no one else is either.

Not for 2 more years atleast! I think that improvment at the second level helped the DL and DB's as well and I think that will continue to help the development of the guys around AJ and Knott.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Not for 2 more years atleast! I think that improvment at the second level helped the DL and DB's as well and I think that will continue to help the development of the guys around AJ and Knott.
I'm not so sure about that. Do two players really constitute a "linebacker corps"? I mean, I think that Matt Tau'fo'ou is every bit as good as those two, but he hasn't exactly had a chance to demonstrate it, has he? Let alone the trio having a chance to learn to work together as a unit--or that little matter of an utter lack of depth. Sure, there are guys coming off of redshirts--and guys who are coming in.

However, all of that represents "development" just as much as, say, an offensive line that (likely) returns three starters, several reserves, and adds a number of redshirts. A secondary that returns plenty of seasoned corners, but no safeties. Wide receivers only missing on member, but needing improvement. It's all development.

So, while I may not be "worried" about the linebackers (actually, I'm not "worried" about any position), they certainly aren't exempt from the development that the coaches will be focusing on through winter conditioning, and once Spring drills begin.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron