What does Rhoads have to do?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
The funny thing to me is that the Rhoads out train is just based on results on the field. No one has even mentioned next year's butt of a recruiting class.

Cyclonick182

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando, FL
agreed, what good does 5-7 do???
I'm not arguing with your point. The only thing I think 5-7 at this stage would now prove is a small glimmer of improvement in conference play. Has CPR ever 4 conference games? But in reality, I don't think even at 5-7 I would be happy with him coming back. I would be able to stomach the thought at least.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Coming into this season I thought 6 wins would save him for sure and 4 or 5 wins depending on how we competed might be enough but now that 2 of those possible wins with Iowa and Toledo are losses it going to be a very tough task to get at least 3 or 4 more wins to even make it a conversation. After Saturday night I'm resigned to believing that he's done after this season unless we see a dramatic change of performance the rest of the season which I think is very unlikely given that our 5th year senior QB doesn't have a Big 12 win as a starter on his resume (or many wins at all for that matter) and unless a light all of the sudden goes on for him it's hard to have a lot of confidence in this team all the sudden performing up to the level of talent we feel they have

BCoffClone125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
For those saying 5 wins with a big upset, that’s basically a given at this point considering we’re 1-2 and you’d have to have at least one big upset by default just to get to 5-7. I would say I would take Rhoads back with that record but would still have my doubts.

Realistically, and unfortunately, I think CPR has to have 3 wins or worse for Pollard to pull the rug out. I could definitely see a 4-8 team sold on making “improvement” from last year. Based on Pollard’s public actions and comments recently, I really don’t think he plans on firing Rhoads unless things reach total disaster. From his perspective we are still selling tickets and filling the Jack for now, so we haven’t gotten close to that point yet.

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
For those saying 5 wins with a big upset, that’s basically a given at this point considering we’re 1-2 and you’d have to have at least one big upset by default just to get to 5-7. I would say I would take Rhoads back with that record but would still have my doubts.

Realistically, and unfortunately, I think CPR has to have 3 wins or worse for Pollard to pull the rug out. I could definitely see a 4-8 team sold on making “improvement†from last year. Based on Pollard’s public actions and comments recently, I really don’t think he plans on firing Rhoads unless things reach total disaster. From his perspective we are still selling tickets and filling the Jack for now, so we haven’t gotten close to that point yet.

If JP won't get rid of him after another losing season, we have to start asking What are the goals of this program?

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO

Realistically, and unfortunately, I think CPR has to have 3 wins or worse for Pollard to pull the rug out. I could definitely see a 4-8 team sold on making “improvement†from last year. Based on Pollard’s public actions and comments recently, I really don’t think he plans on firing Rhoads unless things reach total disaster. From his perspective we are still selling tickets and filling the Jack for now, so we haven’t gotten close to that point yet.

Based on what I've seen, I'm super confident this can be achieved.

ljm4cy

Apr 26, 2014
If JP won't get rid of him after another losing season, we have to start asking What are the goals of this program?

Radio Iowa on 12/13/2014:

The Cyclone football team finished the 2014 season with just two wins. Leath says coach Paul Rhoads understands "it's a business" and a turn-around is expected next season.

"I'd like to get our football program where it needs to be, which is representative of a first-class university. We're not there. The last two seasons were clearly disappointing, " Leath says. "As to Paul's future, I can't predict that. He knows, (ISU athletic director Jamie Pollard) knows that we want a first-class, winning program and that's where we've got to be and hopefully he's the guy to get us there, but either way, we've got to get there."

Leath says you don't want to win a way that you can't be proud of and he's proud of Rhoads and how the football players are doing in their classes, but winning on the football field is the ultimate goal.

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
IMO...FWIW

He has to beat:
KU
@TT
Not get beat by 75 points by either Baylor or TCU
Texas
OSU
@KSU

That gives him a bowl game and everyone realizes that if we would have not laid down against "Go Hawx" and Toledo we would be in business for a real bowl game.

Realistically.....
We win 2-4 games.

AND Stuck with a 5-6M buyout.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Bowl Game or Bust! Not lowering my standards because they lost two winnable games.

Exactly this. It was the standard before the season, and losing 2 of the more easy games on the schedule doesnt lessen the baseline requirement, just makes it more likely he'll miss that mark. We'll beat KU and maybe one or two more wins somewhere.