West Hill Brewing Indianola

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Checked out this place last weekend. I didn't have high expectations going in but the beers I tried were pretty solid. Two good IPA's and a pastry stout called "Dutch Letter" that was probably the best of the bunch. They also had a few ciders from Sacrilegious that were tasty. Plenty of room and not busy on a Saturday afternoon.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
West Hill is awesome! They opened back in the fall of 2019. They have quite a few beers that they rotate around, some seasonals, and they release new stuff all the time.

It's right off the Square in Indianola, and not too far off the Summerset Trail. If you want to bike there, jump on the Summerset Trail at Carlisle, and it's about a 12-13 mile ride to West Hill.

• Informative
Reactions: cysdaone

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
How sugary is was the pastry stout? Is it near any bike trails?

Take Summerset Trail into town until you hit Euclid, take Euclid west crossing Jefferson, left on Buxton and you'll hit the square in a few blocks. West Hill is on Salem just off the southwest corner of square. About a 15 mile ride from Carlisle.

• Informative
Reactions: cysdaone

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Indianola is pretty un-hateable.
CriminalWindyIsopod-size_restricted.gif

• Agree
Reactions: Rex O Herlihan

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
Interesting tidbit about Indianola.

“For Indianola, we found that the violent crime rate is one of the highest in the nation, across communities of all sizes (both large and small). Violent offenses tracked included rape, murder and non-negligent manslaughter, armed robbery, and aggravated assault, including assault with a deadly weapon. According to NeighborhoodScout's analysis of FBI reported crime data, your chance of becoming a victim of one of these crimes in Indianola is one in 139.”

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

“For Indianola, we found that the violent crime rate is one of the highest in the nation, across communities of all sizes (both large and small). Violent offenses tracked included rape, murder and non-negligent manslaughter, armed robbery, and aggravated assault, including assault with a deadly weapon. According to NeighborhoodScout's analysis of FBI reported crime data, your chance of becoming a victim of one of these crimes in Indianola is one in 139.”

Been living here for 20 years, and never once have felt remotely unsafe. I don't recall hearing about anything particularly concerning either.

• Agree
Reactions: chuckd4735

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Been living here for 20 years, and never once have felt remotely unsafe. I don't recall hearing about anything particularly concerning either.

Indianola is a great town. Bike trails, balloon classic, great town square, school athletic facilities are top notch, Simpson brings very cool events, Banner lakes, Warren county fair... very cool place just 15 minutes from The Moines.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola

I would challange the data on this. My job has me working with the Indianola PD, and when the big thing the past month has been a string of car break ins on the north side of town, I have to disagree completely with Neighborhood Scout.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
I would challange the data on this. My job has me working with the Indianola PD, and when the big thing the past month has been a string of car break ins on the north side of town, I have to disagree completely with Neighborhood Scout.

I don’t have any first hand knowledge of it, but found it kind of odd myself the crime rate was so high. Here’s another site that lists Indianola in the top 10 most dangerous cities in Iowa.

https://www.roadsnacks.net/most-dangerous-cities-in-iowa/

Population: 16,235
Rank Last Year: 17 (Up 8)
Violent Crimes Per 100k: 708 (Third most dangerous)
Property Crimes Per 100k: 1,946 (22nd most dangerous)
More on Indianola: Real Estate | Cost Of Living | Crime Report
Head a little south of Des Moines and you will find Indianola. Famous for its National Balloon Classic, this area tends to attract people who are passionate about hot air balloons. Unfortunately, some questionable characters have made their way to it too.

Violent crime in particular seems to be what the bad seeds of this city like to participate in. That is probably why Indianola ranks third highest in the state for it. And if you needed one more reason to watch your back when you are here, consider the fact that it also ranks second highest for rape.

• Informative
Reactions: deadeyededric

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
I don’t have any first hand knowledge of it, but found it kind of odd myself the crime rate was so high. Here’s another site that lists Indianola in the top 10 most dangerous cities in Iowa.

Head a little south of Des Moines and you will find Indianola. Famous for its National Balloon Classic, this area tends to attract people who are passionate about hot air balloons. Unfortunately, some questionable characters have made their way to it too.

Violent crime in particular seems to be what the bad seeds of this city like to participate in. That is probably why Indianola ranks third highest in the state for it. And if you needed one more reason to watch your back when you are here, consider the fact that it also ranks second highest for rape.

I question what qualifies as a violent crime and I don't see that statistic for rape anywhere. It would also be safe to assume that if a city the size of Indianola had even a handful of rape cases that their number per 100,000 would be high and that because most places in Iowa would have lower or even zero cases of rape per year that this would put Indianola higher than them.

Also, this is still a small city in Iowa and the worst community for crime in Iowa pales in comparison to somewhere with real problems. St. Louis or Memphis it is not.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA

Can you find data in regard to why these crimes are not prosecuted by law enforcement? We don't even have a jail in Warren County right now.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
Can you find data in regard to why these crimes are not prosecuted by law enforcement? We don't even have a jail in Warren County right now.

I don’t have the desire to investigate any further but there are multiple sites claiming a spike in violent crimes in Indianola over the past decade. I mean I’m in downtown Des Moines all the time where there’s a much higher chance of being assaulted and feel perfectly safe there so I wouldn’t ever feel unsafe visiting Indianola, but what would motivate all these sites to fabricate crime data?

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I don’t have the desire to investigate any further but there are multiple sites claiming a spike in violent crimes in Indianola over the past decade. I mean I’m in downtown Des Moines all the time where there’s a much higher chance of being assaulted and feel perfectly safe there so I wouldn’t ever feel unsafe visiting Indianola, but what would motivate all these sites to fabricate crime data?

Ever stop to think that some random data compilation websites might not be correct, or that they may pull data from each other?

• Agree
Reactions: Ms3r4ISU