Dec 17, 2008
Ames
All of them, even Lumpys, if it was just to piss it was a wall in the corner

ackatch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 22, 2021
Waukee
Worked at Kingland for awhile after college. We'd all just walk back and go there if we needed to.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I thought this was going to be about Brooke Burke.
Does anyone have a pic or gif of that poster? I'm building a shed and wanted to frame that poster for the bathroom as kind of a joke for those that used to frequent WAS.

Reactions: nrg4isu

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
Es Tas count? Cy's, Paddy's and Sip's all have my remnants. Helped replace Sip's floors in 2014 in return for free drinks for a semester

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
There were a few times I got the stomach cramps out on Welch. Luckily I lived fairly close so was able to waddle home with my cheeks clenched before disaster struck. After that I made sure to always have some pepto tablets in my back pocket whenever I went out.

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL
Lumpy's was a truly unique bar experience. It was like someone set up a bar in Buffalo Bills basement from Silence of the Lambs.
I saw someone get pissed on while standing in line for beers at Lumpy's.

Yes, the guy just let loose in line for the bar. I only got splashed a little; just shrugged it off 'cause after all, it was Lumpy's.

Didn't Lumpy's have $1 pitchers as a regular beer deal? I think they did.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011

Yes, the guy just let loose in line for the bar. I only got splashed a little; just shrugged it off 'cause after all, it was Lumpy's.

I honestly don't remember if they had a $1 pitcher deal. I just know we went there because I had friends who liked mixed drinks and Lumpys was known for cheap and strong mixed drinks at the time. I always stuck to beer. I don't remember getting pitchers there, but that doesn't mean much. That's pretty far in the rearview mirror for me now. Lol!

The pitcher deal that sticks out to me was Mojazz had penny pitchers on Thursdays. I feel hungover just thinking about it.

CyPhallus

Oct 19, 2021
I honestly don't remember if they had a $1 pitcher deal. I just know we went there because I had friends who liked mixed drinks and Lumpys was known for cheap and strong mixed drinks at the time. I always stuck to beer. I don't remember getting pitchers there, but that doesn't mean much. That's pretty far in the rearview mirror for me now. Lol!

The pitcher deal that sticks out to me was Mojazz had penny pitchers on Thursdays. I feel hungover just thinking about it.
I always hear of these ridiculous deals from the good ol days of shith0le Welch bars. How in the world did these deals make any amount of business sense to the establishment? Were they banking on people coming back on other days when they weren't losing money hand over fist? It always fascinated me hearing legends of these deals.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
I always hear of these ridiculous deals from the good ol days of shith0le Welch bars. How in the world did these deals make any amount of business sense to the establishment? Were they banking on people coming back on other days when they weren't losing money hand over fist? It always fascinated me hearing legends of these deals.
I think a lot of bars like that made their money on the cover charge. Sips had quater draws and wells on Wednesday nights with a $5 cover. The liquor served in these drinks were bottom shelf like Hawkeye

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Coleseum had any drink for a silver coin. Nickel got you a drink in the 90s. Generally ended around 8 and then they made their money. People generally are creatures of habit so they will stick to certain bars also.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I remember hearing about a bar in my last year or so in grad school that had a special where drinks were free until someone went to the bathroom at the bar. I have no idea how that would have worked, but I would never have done it. I have a small bladder and I didn't want a whole bar pissed off at me. Anyone know what I'm talking about and participate in that?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Not just Welch but the Zone had penny pitchers with a few bucks to get it, The Fox on Thursdays was 3 pitchers for $6.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

I only remember 25 cent cheap ass beer on Fridays. Now the Zone had nickle pitchers back in the day.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron