WBB: Misc thread, polls, opponents games, regional stuff

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
I basically agree with the picks that have been made. Yet I would have doubts about Sarah Andrews making FOY. She is truly a talented girl as I watched her several times in HS. But Kim is not big on turning the team over to a freshman PG. I would think that Donarski will get more floor time and exposure than Andrews. And if Lexi lives up to expectations I could easily see her winning FOY.

Reactions: acoustimac

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Speaking of WBB and not getting to go to games and no CyTv and more ESPN+, will more away games be available? I get that our Hiltons will be on ESPN+ but what about the rest of the games? It's been pretty spotty TV coverage for some schools. Would like to have most all of them available.

Last edited:

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Speaking of WBB and not getting to go to games and no CyTv and more ESPN+, will more away games be available? I get that our Hiltons will be on ESPN+ but what about the rest of the games? It's been pretty spotty TV coverage for some schools. Would like to have most all of them available. Even up north here in Big 10 country and the much ballyhooed Big 10 Net more Gopher games are still listed as "no TV".
Every soccer match and volleyball match are on ESPN+ or unless it is a national/regional broadcast, so I would venture to say you will see all the WBB games on ESPN+ too, unless it is picked up for a national broadcast.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Speaking of WBB and not getting to go to games and no CyTv and more ESPN+, will more away games be available? I get that our Hiltons will be on ESPN+ but what about the rest of the games?

Every Big 12 school except Oklahoma and Texas are now under the ESPN+ umbrella for Tier 3 events.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Every Big 12 school except Oklahoma and Texas are now under the ESPN+ umbrella for Tier 3 events.
Right, which means every home game and all road conference games not on national tv will be on ESPN+, except for @ Texas (LHN if you have it, which I guess is technically national TV) and @ OU (Sooner Sports Net, which may be simulcast on a Fox Sports channel -- FS Oklahoma, FSSW, or FCS most likely).

Once we have a schedule, we should be able to determine which road non-conference games will be on ESPN+ (if not national TV). MVC does have an ESPN+ deal, so any games @ UNI or Drake should be on ESPN+ or national TV. Games at Iowa would of course be BTN. This season, we play Iowa and UNI away and Drake home.

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Right, which means every home game and all road conference games not on national tv will be on ESPN+, except for @ Texas (LHN if you have it, which I guess is technically national TV) and @ OU (Sooner Sports Net, which may be simulcast on a Fox Sports channel -- FS Oklahoma, FSSW, or FCS most likely).

Once we have a schedule, we should be able to determine which road non-conference games will be on ESPN+ (if not national TV). MVC does have an ESPN+ deal, so any games @ UNI or Drake should be on ESPN+ or national TV. Games at Iowa would of course be BTN. This season, we play Iowa and UNI away and Drake home.

I went back and looked at last year and coverage was better than I remembered. Four away games were ESPN+, Drake, OSU, KSU and Kansas.

Snowing outside, seems we should be playing basketball but it still only October. :rolleyes:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Article in ESPN ranking/rating newcomers this season in Div I WBB

Newcomer Impact Rankings: Which women's college basketball freshmen, transfers will influence 2020-21?
Linky:
Ranking Newcomers

Some of likely interest to us:

4. DiJonai Carrington, Baylor: Yes, there will be physical questions after an unfortunate run of injuries that began in high school continued a season ago at Stanford. But just about every major program wanted her as a transfer, which is its own answer about the veteran guard.

8. Vivian Gray, Texas Tech: The rest of the Big 12 didn't figure out a way to stop the 6-foot-1 guard at Oklahoma State, so there's little reason to imagine they'll be more successful as the senior moves south to Texas Tech. For new coach Krista Gerlich, Gray, Chrislyn Carr and Lexi Gordon should be a good way to emerge from the program's tumultuous offseason.

13. Hannah Gusters, Baylor: Either the freshman is going to play a lot of minutes for Baylor or Kim Mulkey's team is going to play a lot of small ball. The frontcourt is basically Caitlin Bickle, Queen Egbo, NaLyssa Smith and the 6-5 Gusters, ranked the nation's 16th-best recruit.

14. Caitlin Clark, Iowa: From Sam Logic to Kathleen Doyle, Iowa hasn't spent much time in recent years without an answer at point guard. The Hawkeyes believe Clark can extend that run. So do most recruiting analysts.

18. Sarah Andrews, Baylor: With DiDi Richards still around, Andrews doesn't need to be the sole playmaker. With Carrington in the fold, the freshman doesn't need to be the primary backcourt scoring option. But with little other experienced depth beyond senior guard Moon Ursin, Andrews should have space to show her skills on both fronts.

26. Lexi Donarski, Iowa State: The 6-foot guard and consensus top-20 recruit was ticketed for Iowa State since middle school. Even with incumbent backcourt depth, the prospect of pairing the freshman with all-conference junior stalwart Ashley Joens should have the Cyclones thinking about Sweet 16.

Was a Top 50 list, not much there for the Big 12 after Baylor and one was an in league transfer. Baylor, Baylor, Baylor, ISU and pretty much zippo. Same with Big 10 except even less.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Calling Gray a newcomer is ridiculous just cuz she switched teams.

Well, they are talking about what newcomer to a team will have the most impact for that team. She obviously isn't in running for any awards. Really hurts OSU more than it helps Tech IMHO. She's a really good player but doesn't make her teammates or team better. Will get her stats though. If I wanted to steal an OSU player it would be Natasha Mack, she's a double-double machine in the paint.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Last edited:

Help Support Us

Become a patron