WBB: Misc thread, polls, opponents games, regional stuff

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Odds and ends from the last couple days:

Northwestern claimed at least a share of the Big 10 title, finishing 26-3, 16-2. They will share will Maryland if the Terps win at Minnesota today.

Kansas has won three of its last four games, including yesterday against OSU and mid-week at OU. Not sure what's gotten in to them at the moment, but I kinda hate that ISU has to go to Lawrence next.

There is potential for Oklahoma to be the only Big 12 team to finish below .500 overall when the regular season is done. Everyone else is at least a game over at this point (KSU is 14-13.

Oregon claimed its third straight Pac 12 regular season title when Stanford lost at Arizona Friday night.

Drake beat Loyola Friday night to move to a half game behind Missouri State for 1st place in the MVC. MSU plays at third place Bradley today (which is two games out of 1st), with two games remaining on the schedule for everyone after today.

UNI dropped a game at Valpo to fall to 8-8 in the league. The very promising start to the season for Warren's crew faded rather quickly. But, they DID destroy Iowa and won at Hilton, so I don't think their season was a total disappointment.

No one in D-1 wbb will go winless this season. Hartford and Chicago State are each sitting with a single win on the year.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
ESPN2 right now. South Carolina is #1 in ranking and maybe also #1 in flamboyant footwear. Got some BRIGHT and mismatched colors today. Matching lime green nail polish from Mikiah Herbert Harrigan to. :) 17 pts and a couple spectacular blocks in 1st half.

They look way brighter on the game broadcast.
ESCOMfnU0AABqLX

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Iowa and Rutgers going to OT. Iowa just ran a really nice play out of a timeout with 10 seconds left to get Meyer a good look from 3 to tie the game. Screen, fake curl to basket, by Doyle and and a spin and pass back to Meyer.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
#21 Missouri State won at Bradley by 3, 69-66.

#16 DePaul lost at Marquette, 90-83.

#1 South Carolina held off #12 Texas A&M, 60-52.

#4 Stanford was determined to not go oh-fer-Arizona, winning at ASU, 55-44.

Meanwhile, the team that just beat Stanford on Friday, #13 Arizona, lost at home to the worst team in the Pac 12 (California), 55-54.

#15 Kentucky lost at Vanderbilt, 70-64.

#18 Iowa lost in OT (as mentioned above) at Rutgers, 78-74. Always a wonderful thing to see an Iowa team lose.

#25 TCU managed to drop both their games as soon as they got ranked this past week. Today, they lost at Texas Tech, 87-83.

The Big 10 regular season is complete upon the coming final from Minneapolis. Currently, Maryland is up by nearly 40 in the second half (they just put up 38 points in the 3rd quarter). They will be co-champs with Northwestern at 16-2. Iowa finished 3rd at 14-4. Indiana is 4th at 13-5. Rutgers and Ohio State finished tied for 5th at 11-7. Penn State finished dead last at 1-17, losing their final 14 games in a row.

Edit to add that Maryland beat Minnesota 99-44. Yikes.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: GT25Ump and NWICY

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Bracketology from yesterday (3/1) continues to have Iowa State in the field of 64 at an 11 seed playing 6 seed South Dakota in Los Angeles where the 3 seed UCLA is hosting. ISU is NOT listed in the "last four in."

Iowa is a 3 seed with a dangerous 6 in Arizona State for a potential second round match-up. Their first round would be Marist.

Drake is an 8 seed matched against Florida Gulf Coast in Columbia, SC.

#1 seeds are Oregon, Maryland, Baylor, and South Carolina.

West Virginia and Oklahoma State are both "next four out."

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
NCAA Top Sixteen revel last night.
  • Maryland and Brenda's fighting marsh turtles are a #1. They have been steadily getting better and better all season.
  • The state of Iowa will host but not in Ames.
  • Five Pac-12 teams hosting.
  • Three Big 10 teams hosting

1024x512%20%281%29.jpg

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Big 10 announced their WBB awards.

Kathleen Doyle is Big 10 POY. So much for the demise of Iowa WBB with the graduation of Gustusfuson. Two POY in a row.

Ashley Owusu, G, Maryland was freshman of the year. Five other Terrapins on 2nd and honorable mention.

Coach of the Year is Joe McKeown, Northwestern, hard to argue that.

Not a lot for my hometown Gophers. I do bet we see the guard that quit, Destiny Pitts, at Texas Tech next year. Whether she has to sit out or not is likely to be determined by a waiver appeal. New proposed rule might not help, she was suspended at the time she quit.

https://bigten.org/news/2020/3/2/big-ten-womens-basketball-honors-announced-on-btn.aspx

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Big 10 announced their WBB awards.

Kathleen Doyle is Big 10 POY. So much for the demise of Iowa WBB with the graduation of Gustusfuson. Two POY in a row.
My reaction when I heard Doyle won POY last night was "why?" I looked at her stats and they're good, especially points, but not outstanding. Must have been pretty weak competition this year in that league. I don't know who else was in consideration for the honor, since I don't pay much attention to individual players outside the Big 12. At least Blunder didn't win another COY. <barf>

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
My reaction when I heard Doyle won POY last night was "why?" I looked at her stats and they're good, especially points, but not outstanding. Must have been pretty weak competition this year in that league. I don't know who else was in consideration for the honor, since I don't pay much attention to individual players outside the Big 12. At least Blunder didn't win another COY. <barf>

Her conference stats are better than overall that includes NC. I conference she had 20 pts a game and 6 assists. Caught parts of a few games and announcers were always including her in the POY discussion. She lead most of the string of 4th quarter comebacks or closeout wins they had there earlier in conference.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
New Bracketology from today (3/5) still has ISU as an 11 seed in the Portland Region, playing in Evanston (Northwestern hosting as a 3) against 6 seed Arizona State. Northwestern dropped from a 2 to a 3 here, so that has changed. UCONN is the 2 in this region, while Oregon would be a 1 seed.

Baylor is a 1 seed in Dallas. TCU is a 7 against Tennessee at Louisville (a 2). Texas is a 10 against Ohio State in Los Angeles (UCLA a 2). That's it for the Big 12. WVU is still in the "next four out." OSU is apparently not on Creme's radar any longer.

Iowa is a 4 with Missouri State coming in as a 5 (I believe that remains the same as it has been recently). Go Bears. Drake is an 8 versus 9 seed Michigan at South Carolina.

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/bracketology

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
New Bracketology from today (3/5) still has ISU as an 11 seed in the Portland Region, playing in Evanston (Northwestern hosting as a 3) against 6 seed Arizona State. Northwestern dropped from a 2 to a 3 here, so that has changed. UCONN is the 2 in this region, while Oregon would be a 1 seed.

Baylor is a 1 seed in Dallas. TCU is a 7 against Tennessee at Louisville (a 2). Texas is a 10 against Ohio State in Los Angeles (UCLA a 2). That's it for the Big 12. WVU is still in the "next four out." OSU is apparently not on Creme's radar any longer.

Iowa is a 4 with Missouri State coming in as a 5 (I believe that remains the same as it has been recently). Go Bears. Drake is an 8 versus 9 seed Michigan at South Carolina.

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/bracketology

Possible Sweet Sixteen opening rematch with Baylor/Iowa. Iowa is 15-0 at home but 8-6 away from Carver.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Possible Sweet Sixteen opening rematch with Baylor/Iowa. Iowa is 15-0 at home but 8-6 away from Carver.
Iowa got stomped by Baylor last year, which was incredibly entertaining to watch. I would not mind watching a repeat performance by the Bears. But I also won't complain one bit if Iowa doesn't make it that far.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Iowa got stomped by Baylor last year, which was incredibly entertaining to watch. I would not mind watching a repeat performance by the Bears. But I also won't complain one bit if Iowa doesn't make it that far.

Ignoring the fact they they would reach the Sweet Sixteen again which I'd like us to do again before I die even if we were to get smoked by a #1. We peed away our best chance in a decade last year after earning a host site. Actuary tables show I have 15 more chances. Odds are I may see one more since we go about every 10 years although this year is pretty unlikely. Sometime in the next 10 years we'll have a coaching change, no one knows what that will bring next, status quo, free fall or Rise of the Clones.

Hoping we can keep it as close vs Baylor on Saturday as the RealTime predictor has Baylor at only -12. Last time we beat them was one of these end of the season one's in Ames, 2-28-15 ISU, 76-71. We are 1-19 in our last 20 games versus Baylor, not sure a Scottless ISU squad can pull that sort of upset this year. In a tight game they can just ratchet their already great defense up a notch and close things out. You never know though, it's sort of a meaningless game for Baylor.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Ignoring the fact they they would reach the Sweet Sixteen again which I'd like us to do again before I die even if we were to get smoked by a #1. We peed away our best chance in a decade last year after earning a host site. Actuary tables show I have 15 more chances. Odds are I may see one more since we go about every 10 years although this year is pretty unlikely. Sometime in the next 10 years we'll have a coaching change, no one knows what that will bring next, status quo, free fall or Rise of the Clones.

Hoping we can keep it as close vs Baylor on Saturday as the RealTime predictor has Baylor at only -12. Last time we beat them was one of these end of the season one's in Ames, 2-28-15 ISU, 76-71. We are 1-19 in our last 20 games versus Baylor, not sure a Scottless ISU squad can pull that sort of upset this year. In a tight game they can just ratchet their already great defense up a notch and close things out. You never know though, it's sort of a meaningless game for Baylor.

dude...we are in the same boat. I’m laying odds on the next three years being some of the best ISU basketball ever!

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Baylor won its 58th straight Big 12 game <sigh>, beating Texas 69-53.

Missouri State locked up a share of the MVC title, beating Valpo 85-70.

#24 Arizona State suffered a big upset in the Pac 12 tournament first round, losing to 12 seed California 71-67.

Robin Pingeton wrapped up a truly awful season, losing in the SEC second round to Tennessee 64-51. Mizzou finished 9-22.

Ohio State beat up on Minnesota in the Big 10 second round, 77-56. OSU moves on to play Iowa at 8 tonight on BTN. Go Buckeyes.

Also in the Big 10, Nebraska blew an 8 point halftime lead to Michigan, which won 81-75.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

#24 Arizona State suffered a big upset in the Pac 12 tournament first round, losing to 12 seed California 71-67.

Robin Pingeton wrapped up a truly awful season, losing in the SEC second round to Tennessee 64-51. Mizzou finished 9-22.

Ohio State beat up on Minnesota in the Big 10 second round, 77-56. OSU moves on to play Iowa at 8 tonight on BTN. Go Buckeyes.

Also in the Big 10, Nebraska blew an 8 point halftime lead to Michigan, which won 81-75.

Wonder what wrong down at Columbia, Pingeton has been pretty successful down there according to her coaching bio summary.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA

OSU with a 21 point beat down on Bluder's Bunch. NW also lost.

Reactions: Buster28