WBB: General All-NCAA Thread - Not Team Cyclones Stuff

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
KCCI trying to create faux outrage over Clark not getting National Player of the Year.

People get wound up way too much about these "honor" awards IMHO. Years of people arguing over the baseball MVP's pretty much took me out of caring too much about this stuff. Boston winning is okay with me cause she's a good player and a likeable young woman. I've liked her since a courtside interview her freshman year and she was also the defensive POY which might have iced the overall award for her. When you narrow it down to five from thousands of players there is sometimes no perfect right or wrong answer. I'd of had no issue with Clark or Baylor's Smith getting it.

The POY seems to be predetermined before each year based on preseason hype. This year it was Boston, "Oooh, all those doubles-doubles!" AS much as Cyclones grump about hype for Clark, it's Boston, since last year that has kinda walked on water with ESPN and others (keep in mind I LIKE Boston so not dissing her). Last year it was Paige Bueckers "Oooh, the #1 recruit at UConn!". Iowa's Gustafson won it (deservingly) but was again the preseason fav based on her own double-doubles from her junior year. Iowa fans are maybe a little too much into the "Thou doth protest too much" camp but I get where they are coming from. They are a little spoiled having recent POY's in both MBB and WBB.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Shown she can beat Baylor and 3 points away from Michigan in the sweet 16
. Now imagine the talent she can get now at a power 5 school. Kind of like having another Jennie B in the league.
She is going to have to work the transfer portal hard. WVU has five players transferring out and signed two in November. There is always the chance some could come back or they could lose a few more. Looks like she has 8 players returning after the transfers. Madisen Smith participated in senior day, but could come back for her COVID year.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
She is going to have to work the transfer portal hard. WVU has five players transferring out and signed two in November. There is always the chance some could come back or they could lose a few more. Looks like she has 8 players returning after the transfers. Madisen Smith participated in senior day, but could come back for her COVID year.

Going to be a little different from the Sooner change. Wasn't a complete change in style there.

Reactions: acoustimac

ISUguy

Unsurpassed Сasual Dating - Legitimate Girls
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Usa
Don't know if any spots on the roster are open, but she would make sense in so many ways.....

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
Gophers just lost Sara Scalia on the transfer portal but I don't think she's what we need

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Don't know if any spots on the roster are open, but she would make sense in so many ways.....

Doesn't seem to be a fit at all for us. As a freshman recruit, sure cause three-point shooter that fits our style. As a transfer into a program loaded with three point shooters in the same class, not so much.

Reactions: undersized_post

ISUguy

Unsurpassed Сasual Dating - Legitimate Girls
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Usa
Doesn't seem to be a fit at all for us. As a freshman recruit, sure cause three-point shooter that fits our style. As a transfer into a program loaded with three point shooters in the same class, not so much.
I would make the argument that you have a narrow window for greatness with Ashley coming back next year. You get the best talent on the floor you can and she certainly fits that mode. All in for next year and let the chips fall where they may going forward. I believe she has two years left so she would be a nice bridge for after Ashley leaves.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Something I picked up on the Gopher board general thread on the portal, athlete has an option of “do not contact” upon entering the portal. Don't choose and everyone can be after you like HS recruiting. Pick the no contact and you can control things more. Probably an option for the high end transfers that are only interested in a handful of destinations.

• Informative
Reactions: cyclone13

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I would make the argument that you have a narrow window for greatness with Ashley coming back next year. You get the best talent on the floor you can and she certainly fits that mode. All in for next year and let the chips fall where they may going forward. I believe she has two years left so she would be a nice bridge for after Ashley leaves.

Two way street, not just what's good for us. She's started for three years. Great shooter, three-point and free-throws, so so defender. She's just not that much different than Maggie/Aubrey.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Something I picked up on the Gopher board general thread on the portal, athlete has an option of “do not contact” upon entering the portal. Don't choose and everyone can be after you like HS recruiting. Pick the no contact and you can control things more. Probably an option for the high end transfers that are only interested in a handful of destinations.
That’s pretty interesting. Makes sense to have it that way though.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
From an NCAA piece about the portal:

After student-athletes ask their school to enter their name in the portal, administrators have two business days to comply. Once their name is entered, student-athletes receive an email notifying them that they are in the portal.

Student-athletes can provide an email address and a phone number where any interested coaches can contact them. Or student-athletes can decide not to provide contact information and reach out to the schools they are interested in attending.

The no-contact feature was built into the portal based on feedback from the Division I Student-Athlete Advisory Committee.

The rationale behind the choice not to provide contact information is that some student-athletes already have an idea where they would like to transfer, and they don’t want their transfer process to mirror the experience of being recruited when they were high school.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Aliyah Boston - AP Player of the Year and WBCA Player of the Year. She now has three, since she won the Naismith Award last night. AP voters on coach of the year, that's another story.:rolleyes:

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway
WNIT semifinal in Brookings, SD. Jacks with the halftime lead 27-25 over UCLA. Natalie Chou (Baylor transfer) playing for UCLA.

Entertaining game!

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY