WBB: General All-NCAA Thread - Not Team Cyclones Stuff

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin

Horrible news and seeing Sabau tell Kayla Ard of her termination post game. Kayla Ard in a direct style told of her firing and even offered them best wishes was a gut-check character moment. She handled it better than most. Hope things turn around for her.

Last edited:
Reactions: NWICY

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Ran across a couple viewership articles this morning. Excerpt table doesn't include Big 12 since it was published before Tuesday but ISU/Texas had 336,000 viewers. The Sunday matchup in the other conferences drew crazy eyeball numbers on the games, WAY up from last years champ games. Iowa/Nebraska peaked at 4M during the game. The SC/LSU cage match had almost 2M and the JuJu versus Brink drew 1.5M. Big Ten was 4X over last year, SEC over 2X and Pac-12 pushing 5X. :oops:

1710433623431.png

Found the Big Ten numbers pretty dominating, that with their own TV network carried by most providers. They averaged 300k+ for their tournament games and 100K for regular season while farming out a number of their biggest games to Peacock.

WartburgClone

Mar 14, 2022
Ran across a couple viewership articles this morning. Excerpt table doesn't include Big 12 since it was published before Tuesday but ISU/Texas had 336,000 viewers. The Sunday matchup in the other conferences drew crazy eyeball numbers on the games, WAY up from last years champ games. Iowa/Nebraska peaked at 4M during the game. The SC/LSU cage match had almost 2M and the JuJu versus Brink drew 1.5M. Big Ten was 4X over last year, SEC over 2X and Pac-12 pushing 5X. :oops:

View attachment 125517

Found the Big Ten numbers pretty dominating, that with their own TV network carried by most providers. They averaged 300k+ for their tournament games and 100K for regular season while farming out a number of their biggest games to Peacock.
This is what the other Big 12 teams wanted. Play your conference championship on Tuesday like a mid-major conference and get mid-major viewership numbers.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
This is what the other Big 12 teams wanted. Play your conference championship on Tuesday like a mid-major conference and get mid-major viewership numbers.

336,000 is way better than mid-major viewership but the weeknight didn't help the Big 12 there. Per data from another board, the Big 12 has not been stellar in viewership. There have been 13 WBB games so far this season with 1M plus viewers compared to only two games all of last season. Eight of those games belong to Iowa (that Clark factor), three to South Carolina, USC/Stanford and Indiana/Tennessee.

No Big 12 games on that 1M viewers list. I think the top draw was 12/30/23 Baylor @ Texas FOX with 457,000, which is very good but sort of stands out as the only big draw other than the first Iowa/KSU game where Iowa was the viewer draw. Lack of top marquee matchups, and maybe lack of star power, contributed to Big 12 not keeping pace IMHO. Booker and Crooks emerging as freshman stars comes a little late to move the needle for this season. The differential might be even more amplified next year with the Big Ten adding USC and UCLA (that's 39M Cali peeps added to a viewer pool) and the SEC adding Texas. Certainly there will be fewer 1M games next year without Clark in the NCAA but I'll bet there is enough trend here that there will be more than the two 1M games of last season.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
336,000 is way better than mid-major viewership but the weeknight didn't help the Big 12 there. Per data from another board, the Big 12 has not been stellar in viewership. There have been 13 WBB games so far this season with 1M plus viewers compared to only two games all of last season. Eight of those games belong to Iowa (that Clark factor), three to South Carolina, USC/Stanford and Indiana/Tennessee.

No Big 12 games on that 1M viewers list. I think the top draw was 12/30/23 Baylor @ Texas FOX with 457,000, which is very good but sort of stands out as the only big draw other than the first Iowa/KSU game where Iowa was the viewer draw. Lack of top marquee matchups, and maybe lack of star power, contributed to Big 12 not keeping pace IMHO. Booker and Crooks emerging as freshman stars comes a little late to move the needle for this season. The differential might be even more amplified next year with the Big Ten adding USC and UCLA (that's 39M Cali peeps added to a viewer pool) and the SEC adding Texas. Certainly there will be fewer 1M games next year without Clark in the NCAA but I'll bet there is enough trend here that there will be more than the two 1M games of last season.
I didn't know Booker was a freshman too, yikes, she can play.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Woof Drake ladies just choked really bad in the MVC Final only to win on a buzzer beater layup. Thank God they ended up winning because they would have been sick losing that big lead with 4 minutes to play.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Woof Drake ladies just choked really bad in the MVC Final only to win on a buzzer beater layup. Thank God they ended up winning because they would have been sick losing that big lead with 4 minutes to play.
They did it two days in a row. They gave up a big lead to UNI, only to win in overtime yesterday.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
All Missouri State had to do was foul after the inbounds…the game would be over. What a brain fart.

WartburgClone

Mar 14, 2022
Big 12 postseason by tournament

NCAA:
  • Texas
  • Oklahoma
  • Kansas State
  • Iowa State
  • Baylor
  • West Virginia
  • Kansas
WBIT:
  • BYU
  • TCU
WNIT:
  • Cincinnati
Nothing:
  • Oklahoma State
  • Texas Tech
  • Houston
  • UCF

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
BYU and TCU were shadows of what they appeared to be early in the conference season. I know TCU had injuries, but I honestly wasn’t that high on them when they were healthy. BYU just faded.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Big 12 postseason by tournament

NCAA:
  • Texas
  • Oklahoma
  • Kansas State
  • Iowa State
  • Baylor
  • West Virginia
  • Kansas
WBIT:
  • BYU
  • TCU
WNIT:
  • Cincinnati
Nothing:
  • Oklahoma State
  • Texas Tech
  • Houston
  • UCF
Of the four that didn't make anything:

Oklahoma State has been short on players all year, so it doesn't surprise me that they aren't continuing to play.

TTU - I'm not surprised they weren't picked for the WBIT, and it looks like the WNIT has gone mid-major heavy.

Houston and UCF not surprised that they are both done.

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
Of the four that didn't make anything:

Oklahoma State has been short on players all year, so it doesn't surprise me that they aren't continuing to play.

TTU - I'm not surprised they weren't picked for the WBIT, and it looks like the WNIT has gone mid-major heavy.

Houston and UCF not surprised that they are both done.

Rumor was that TTU declined post season - not sure which tournament or any idea why.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron