***WBB: 2022 Recruiting Thread***

CY9008

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2010
West Des Moines, IA
What are the odds on landing K. Brown now? Looks like there is mutual interest. That would take 1 of 2 available roster spots?

Jkclone15

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 19, 2017
What are the odds on landing K. Brown now? Looks like there is mutual interest. That would take 1 of 2 available roster spots?

Read through the thread on her on the OSU forum. In summary they think she's leaving because 1) she didn't get enough minutes and 2) she didn't want to play as a traditional 5 on offense. She would definitely play as the 5 here, but maybe because of the fluidity of the offense she would feel more comfortable. Kane stepped outside the arc a few times. With a higher level athlete they could probably do that more often?

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
There are actually three roster spots available (the number had been two until Fred left early), but the issue is there's only one roster spot available for 23-24 if Kane and MEM both return for a COVID super-senior year. I imagine the coaches already have a handle on whether they intend to do that, though. Since Kane already has a redshirt season (thus making next season her 5th at ISU), it's possible she may want to go the Maddie Wise route after next season and get a free year of grad school somewhere else.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
She would definitely play as the 5 here
Not necessarily. I could see us doing lineups with her at the 4 with a more traditional five (Kane, Jordao, Zingaro). Ideally, we'd spread the minutes around more anyway so Ashley/Ryan/Donarski aren't playing 40 minutes every game, which would open up our other perimeter players (Aubrey/MEM/Diew/Fritz/Dawkins) to play some 2/3 and maybe also get some more time for Vick at the 4 (along with K Brown in this hypothetical). I'm sure we'll see that in non-conference, but BF tends to get in a rut in conference play where he really sticks to a short bench.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Brown coming here leads to a nasty matchup issue for teams.

You can start Ryan, Donarski, Joens, and Brown and then depending on your opponent, throw in Fritz, Diew, or Kane.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
Has there been anything substantial on Kennedy Brown to ISU since she entered the portal, beyond the ISU coaching staff following her on Twitter? It's probably wishful thinking on my part, but I was hoping this would come to a quick conclusion because the circumstantial evidence says it's a no-brainer!

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
Read through the thread on her on the OSU forum. In summary they think she's leaving because 1) she didn't get enough minutes and 2) she didn't want to play as a traditional 5 on offense. She would definitely play as the 5 here, but maybe because of the fluidity of the offense she would feel more comfortable. Kane stepped outside the arc a few times. With a higher level athlete they could probably do that more often?
Yeah, as long as she's okay with being a traditional 5 on defense, I think she'd get a chance to be a more flexible offensive player here. Although you'd like her shooting percentages to go up if she wants to spend more time outside. (Was only 26% from three, 40% from the field at OSU.)

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
While we usually don't hear much before a transfer in is actually announced, this weekend is the first weekend that actual campus/school visits are permissible if what I read online is accurate.

Last year, did anyone have any inkling that we were getting Diew or Jordao? Actual question and not rhetorical cause I don't remember one way or the other.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
While we usually don't hear much before a transfer in is actually announced, this weekend is the first weekend that actual campus/school visits are permissible if what I read online is accurate.

Last year, did anyone have any inkling that we were getting Diew or Jordao? Actual question and not rhetorical cause I don't remember one way or the other.
They were on my radar (like Brown) but nothing beyond that.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
I'm not adding her to the list yet because there's been no announcement (or even hint) she's in the portal, but Bill is now following Stanford PG Jana Van Gytenbeek and her dad on Twitter.

Jana was the #39 player in the high school class of 2020. We offered her a scholarship back in July 2017 during or after a visit, but she chose Stanford. The two PG we ended up with -- Ryan and Donarski -- turned out fine, of course (understatement for comedic effect).

She's only averaged around 8 minutes per game during her two seasons at Stanford so it's possible she's looking for a change of scenery. Bringing in an experienced PG might make sense to allow Ryan and Donarski to decrease their minutes a bit without putting too much on Dawkins as a freshman.

Jana is also followed by Schaben, Carper, and the official Cyclone WBB account, but those are old follows that go back to her original recruitment.

Reactions: GT25Ump

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames

I didn't recall hearing anything about either, specifically, before the official announcements were made that they were joining the program. I'm not as in the loop as I used to be, either. Once in a while, I get a good nugget of info, but really not much these days.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
That was fast. I'll add her to the original post now.

Schools do have those two biz days to announce and make it official so overlap is going to happen. Not like students and family aren't letting some people know first even if they don't splashing it out on Twitter.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Another post added to the list: Stephanie Soares. It may seem off to have an NAIA transfer on the list, but here are some notes:

6'6" post player
ESPN had her as a 5-star prospect coming out of high school.
Has played three seasons: 18-19, 19-20, and 21-22. She tore her ACL and MCL in Sept 2020 and missed the 20-21 season.
1st-team AA all three seasons.
NAIA POY in 2020 and 2022.
18-19 season: 16.2 ppg, 13.4 rpg, 4.9 bpg
19-20 season: 20.7 ppg, 13.6 rpg, 4.9 bpg
21-22 season: 20.5 ppg, 12.2 rpg, 3.7 bpg

Info on why she chose The Master's University (over UConn, among others) is here: https://www.masters.edu/news/student-focus-stephanie-soares.html

I'm not sure how NAIA treated the COVID year or how that applies to an NCAA transfer, but it doesn't matter here. Her injury redshirt was the same year as the NCAA COVID year, so I'm pretty sure she only has one season of eligibility no matter how you look at it.

• Informative
Reactions: WartburgClone

CY9008

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2010
West Des Moines, IA
Can you imagine adding Soares to this incredible roster of guards. With Texas and Baylor rebuilding, fun to dream!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron