***WBB: 2022 Recruiting Thread***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

That's quite a list with a bunch of elite schools. We are the only midwest or regional team on her list. Another Iowa Attack gal. Four star player rating from both ESPN and Prospects Nation.

BTW, just noticed your new page one worksheet style listing. Very nice! Thanks for the work you put into this. It's pretty darn awesome.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Updated with Braun verbal. Nice class Minnesota is putting together.

She did have a nice final top-six list: Minnesota, Arizona State, Michigan, Oregon State, Maryland and Iowa. Good early get for the Gophers. Whalen is not good news for us with regards to recruiting Minnesota. It's even more Big 10 country with Whalen recruiting the home state hard.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
She did have a nice final top-six list: Minnesota, Arizona State, Michigan, Oregon State, Maryland and Iowa. Good early get for the Gophers. Whalen is not good news for us with regards to recruiting Minnesota. It's even more Big 10 country with Whalen recruiting the home state hard.
What's the mood up there regarding the program at the U? Is there any pressure on Whalen to start producing?

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
What's the mood up there regarding the program at the U? Is there any pressure on Whalen to start producing?

I don't know outside of dropping into the Gopherhole once in a while. There is a small cadre of posters there that didn't like the hire so only post to ***** about the program. Not sure what their expectation was or who they model their ideal on, maybe Brenda's one year here? I think the more sane fans are at least optimistic about the recruiting within Minnesota. Stolling apparently pissed all of the HS and local AAU coaches off by pretty much dismissing them entirely and not going hard after Minnesota kids or even much giving them the time of day. I don't think coaches should be kissing HS and AAU coaches asses or anything but it's not great to just blatantly snub them. And it's not like the guys among our MBB fans who want an all white Iowa farm boy team, there really is annually some really decent Minnesota HS WBB talent, just hasn't been staying home for a while. Still tough recruiting against Iowa and other Big 10 teams. Even when you drop down a bit to "let's take a chance on this gal" you are looking to recruit against the Dakota teams. IMHO, Whalen's making the inroads needed regionally.

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
mred, first of all, thank you for your dedication and your hard work keeping us informed on CycloneWBB recruiting. I have a couple of questions for you.

1) Has ISU offered Faith Feuerbach, the younger sister of Kylie? She seems to be a decent player.

2) How big a chance does ISU have to land Ndjakalenga Mwenentanda? Someone calls her the female version of Kevin Durant in high school. She looks very impressive in those highlight videos and appears to be the kind of program-changing player and she plays for All Iowa Attack, hence a local connection. I know ISU is in her top ten list but is facing tough competition with other elite schools. How soon will she announce her decision?

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
1) Has ISU offered Faith Feuerbach, the younger sister of Kylie? She seems to be a decent player.
As far as I can tell, we're not recruiting her. I don't have inside info, so there's no guarantee I'm correct about that.

2) How big a chance does ISU have to land Ndjakalenga Mwenentanda? Someone calls her the female version of Kevin Durant in high school. She looks very impressive in those highlight videos and appears to be the kind of program-changing player and she plays for All Iowa Attack, hence a local connection. I know ISU is in her top ten list but is facing tough competition with other elite schools. How soon will she announce her decision?
I have no answers here. I can say one advantage we have is we're the only school on her list within driving distance. She's from Sioux Falls (around 4 hours away), and the next closest drive is 13 1/2 hours to Louisville, followed closely by Vandy and Texas.

Given the great options she has, she'll likely wait to commit until the pandemic slows down and she can visit places in person more easily, unless she's particularly worried about losing too many of her options to other players (which is more of a problem than usual due to the covid bonus year). Her only real deadline is the early signing period in November, and I'd hope by late summer she'd be able to visit places without much restriction.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I see Amaya Battle, Hopkins, is on your list. Here's an article today on the latest from Hopkins.

Not sure how THIS impacts us:

Replacing Cosgriff as coach is Tara Starks, whose daughter T.T. played at Hopkins before a college career at Iowa State and Arizona. Starks has coached nearly all of the Royals at some point , whether in AAU basketball, offseason training or fall leagues.

Linky: Hopkins loses leaders, but returns much more

Last edited: