Volleyball recruiting

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
This All-Iowa Pre Season list includes a highly ranked 2022 prospect who has not yet committed in Chloe Largent.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
ISU VB received another commitment per CJL tweet. Twitter/Google search didn't reveal who it might be, presumably she is a OH/MB from Minnesota or Wisconsin.

In other recruiting news, Nebraska commit Hayden Kubik of West DSM Valley is the #1 ranked 2022 recruit in the country by PrepVolleyball.com.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Two 2021 commits signed their LOIs today. Both will reportedly enter the program as walkons:

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
I don't see our record getting any better than it is right now and it isn't good right now. The talent level has dropped a lot. We got a couple really good players with the coaching changes at WI and MN. We aren't getting those players anymore as those programs are now fully established.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
I don't see our record getting any better than it is right now and it isn't good right now. The talent level has dropped a lot. We got a couple really good players with the coaching changes at WI and MN. We aren't getting those players anymore as those programs are now fully established.
I agree with you and hate to write this but it seems CJL has plateaued- we went to Elite Eight and almost went to Final Four when we imploded against FSU. After that it seems we gave become one and done and maybe 2 and done in NCAa

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
I agree with you and hate to write this but it seems CJL has plateaued- we went to Elite Eight and almost went to Final Four when we imploded against FSU. After that it seems we gave become one and done and maybe 2 and done in NCAa
It seems like recruiting is a problem. Iowa State doesn't seem to be bringing in the athletes that other schools are. Alexis Conway is the last great athlete that I remember.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
What’s been more troubling beyond Minnesota, Wisconsin and Nebraska is falling behind the likes of Creighton, K-State and Mizzou who all have or recently had players from Iowa who would be starters at ISU. And all of the above play in smaller non-BB venues which IMO is hurting ISU in recruiting.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
In my opinion, facility
Agree, but IMO CJL needs to self evaluate her coaching and/or staff for potential change. And posted this multiple times previously, any Entertainment District plans should include construction of a 5K or so VB/Wrestling venue as the centerpiece of the District and utilized year round for other events to draw consistent traffic to the District.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclonespiker33

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
I don't believe facilities are a make or break in recruiting. If it were than Western IL would never get another recruit ever. Hilton isn't a terrible facility.

I have been in Iowa's new venue and it isn't anything special. It is nice don't get me wrong but it isn't a game changer if you subscribe to the facilities argument. Maybe it will be amazing when they set it up as one court. Bottom line is Iowa is never going to be any good. They have Gary Barta hiring coaches there undeath the conversation.

It comes down to recruiting talent. Just FYI no one good enough from Iowa is coming in 2022. CJL has already told some good not great Iowa players she didn't have any money for them and this was PRE COVID. 2023 in Iowa looks to be a class that could have potential. It all depends if they progress with good club coaching in the next two years.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
I don't believe facilities are a make or break in recruiting. If it were than Western IL would never get another recruit ever. Hilton isn't a terrible facility.

I have been in Iowa's new venue and it isn't anything special. It is nice don't get me wrong but it isn't a game changer if you subscribe to the facilities argument. Maybe it will be amazing when they set it up as one court. Bottom line is Iowa is never going to be any good. They have Gary Barta hiring coaches there undeath the conversation.

It comes down to recruiting talent. Just FYI no one good enough from Iowa is coming in 2022. CJL has already told some good not great Iowa players she didn't have any money for them and this was PRE COVID. 2023 in Iowa looks to be a class that could have potential. It all depends if they progress with good club coaching in the next two years.
The most talented recruits want to play in the best facilities.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
The most talented recruits want to play in the best facilities.
Agree, it is no coincidence that that ISU is currently lagging behind nearly all of the surrounding P6 programs (Nebraska, Creighton, KSU, KU, Mizzou, Illinois, Marquette, Wisconsin and Minnesota) that have non-BB venues for VB. And within the conference, BU will be converting the Ferrell Center to a VB venue, KSU is renovating Ahearn and Texas/OU/KU already play in VB only venues.

Last edited:

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
Too bad NCAA women’s volleyball wasn’t around when Hilton opened. We could have converted our old BB venue too. Back then, wrestling wouldn’t have been interested. They were nearly filling Hilton.

Help Support Us

Become a patron