Volleyball recruiting

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
wow on the sweep. It's just mind-boggling to me that she's doing so well at Pitt but wasn't doing great for us at that point. And Enna isn't even L now so it's just weird to me.
Yes, what is wrong with this picture? Player believed to be yesterday's hash is now a hot dish at Pitt. Did she know more than our coaches???

Reactions: Team10

ISU40

Jan 8, 2012
Ames
If memory serves me, Hali was better at setting and that was needed last year. At libero, you cannot set past the ten foot line. She was better at the second ball then Enna (if
Piper took the first dig or was out of place). Maybe I am wrong but I do recall hearing this somewhere.
I also wonder if the drama at end of the season had anything to do with this. *cough* Grace *cough*

Team10

Oct 10, 2018
I liked Lizard. Obviously there were conduct issues. She was a powerhouse for us and is now playing professionally. She is the powerhouse for her professional team too. I also liked Hillegas. She could get to so many balls. I think the problem was the other girls couldn’t make anything of the balls she saved. It never made any sense. We had many players hurt and lots of lineup changes happening at the time, yet it appeared that we blamed a player. She was in the top ten in the nation on digs per set and the only player in the Big 12 who had 3-30+ dig matches. Then she was replaced by Enna who now has been replaced by another Libero who is an outside hitter? Watched the PSU and Pitt match on tv last night. Pitt is an amazing team and Hillegas did a really nice job for them. I feel we are losing our Libero U status. Let’s put Enna back in and see what she can do.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
I agree I would love a smaller VB facility. To be fair, Minn, Wisc, K-State, Mizzou, Neb, Penn St, Texas and scores of others play in their school's old basketball arenas, renovated for VB.
CJL consistently says that Wisc, Texas, Minn - to name three - are "great environments." And of course Neb is probably the best of them all,
With that in mind, still think a remodeled Armory would be perfect for Cyclone VB.

And we'd have to build another design school building to free up the Armory from the 300+ student studios there....the Armory has been used by the design college since 1990, almost 30 years.

Might as well just build a new facility designed just for vb and wrestling by the stadiums.

• Agree
Reactions: dafarmer

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
I hope coach turns the program around and I do like the talent and energy on this young team, but the last few years have been challenging to endure.

This could be a fun year if Hatch continues to play well, Piper continues to set well, and Brooke emerges well, but what is really exciting is everyone is back next year but Herbst.

But it does seem our back row is the weakness.

• Agree
Reactions: StClone

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
I also liked Hillegas. She could get to so many balls. I think the problem was the other girls couldn’t make anything of the balls she saved. It never made any sense. We had many players hurt and lots of lineup changes happening at the time, yet it appeared that we blamed a player. She was in the top ten in the nation on digs per set and the only player in the Big 12 who had 3-30+ dig matches. Then she was replaced by Enna who now has been replaced by another Libero who is an outside hitter? Watched the PSU and Pitt match on tv last night. Pitt is an amazing team and Hillegas did a really nice job for them. I feel we are losing our Libero U status. Let’s put Enna back in and see what she can do.
Here is a CJL interview prior to start of conference play on Wednesday.

As she mentions, Schuler's passing has been good and it appears based on recent results that she will remain at libero for the foreseeable future barring a slippage in her performance.

Reactions: StClone

ISU40

Jan 8, 2012
Ames
I liked Lizard. Obviously there were conduct issues. She was a powerhouse for us and is now playing professionally. She is the powerhouse for her professional team too. I also liked Hillegas. She could get to so many balls. I think the problem was the other girls couldn’t make anything of the balls she saved. It never made any sense. We had many players hurt and lots of lineup changes happening at the time, yet it appeared that we blamed a player. She was in the top ten in the nation on digs per set and the only player in the Big 12 who had 3-30+ dig matches. Then she was replaced by Enna who now has been replaced by another Libero who is an outside hitter? Watched the PSU and Pitt match on tv last night. Pitt is an amazing team and Hillegas did a really nice job for them. I feel we are losing our Libero U status. Let’s put Enna back in and see what she can do.
I too loved Grace. She had a canon of a shot and brought enthusiasm. However there was turmoil starting about midway through the season and I believe a lot came from Grace or surrounding Grace and her troubles. Hali was fabulous and maybe she wanted a change. Lots of new faces at DS were coming in and it was going to be a battle. PS I did not think it would be Schuler but anything can happen.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
New in- state VB commitment confirmed by CJL. Twitter and Google searches produced no names. Any idea on who it may be?

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
We were one of the top states not too long ago and ebbed this year. Any underclass persons of interest?
2022 Morgan Brandt, Jenna's sister and also a setter, committed to ISU last year.

2022 Hayden Kubik of WDM Valley recently committed to Nebraska. Her older sister plays there.

2021 6-5 Eve Magill of CR Xavier is committed to Creighton.

Have no idea who the new commit might be. Wapsie Valley has a 2023 6-3 OH who was an all stater as a freshmen but don't know if she is considered a high major VB recruit.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
Other the Devyn Robinson who went to W and Alyiah Carter KSU both Fr this year there were no real game changing hitters in Iowa the past couple of years. Phyona Schrader 2021 Notre Dame committ is a good setter. Hayden Kubik is good how good will she be remains to be seen. Being tall is everything in the power 5 but if you are not athletic enough to move your feet it doesn't matter. You can't teach height and I am not 100% convinced you can improve foot speed enough if you don't have it to begin with. If you want to see an athlete watch Dana Rettke. If you don't already know how tall she is you will be gobsmacked when you find out after watching her move.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Other the Devyn Robinson who went to W and Alyiah Carter KSU both Fr this year there were no real game changing hitters in Iowa the past couple of years. Phyona Schrader 2021 Notre Dame committ is a good setter. Hayden Kubik is good how good will she be remains to be seen. Being tall is everything in the power 5 but if you are not athletic enough to move your feet it doesn't matter. You can't teach height and I am not 100% convinced you can improve foot speed enough if you don't have it to begin with. If you want to see an athlete watch Dana Rettke. If you don't already know how tall she is you will be gobsmacked when you find out after watching her move.

6'9 or so, right? Get to see her on the highlights a lot and she just towers over the others but still fast on her feet as you mention.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
We have gotten to go to WI camp with her the past couple of years. She floats like a butterfly and stings like 6'8" Bee.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
VB commitment from TX disclosed today. Twitter/Google search came up empty on who it might be: