Verizon vs US Cellular

MrApathy

Aug 7, 2006
straight talk doesnt let you use hotspot or tethering. I am going from ATT prepaid to US Cellular. ATT coverage was okay in Manchester though couple area's between manchester on 13 where coverage drops for few miles. US Cellular has prepaid plan with 15 GB with mobile hotspot which beats ATT and Verizon plans though both have a unlimited data plan for like $65 though cannot use hotspot or tethering with it. Verizon and US C both seem to have great coverage in the boonies.

• Informative
Reactions: stateofmind

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I jumped the family over from US Cellular to Verizon three years or so ago. At that time I was saving $50+ a month over five phones (3 with data usage) so it was an easy call. I found Verizon's coverage to actually be a little bit better in more areas than family members who continued to use US Cellular, but overall was very comparable. It's important to remember that all devices are not created equal when picking up weak signal and holding it.

Remember that both companies use different networks, one is CDMA and the other GSM, so it is likely you would not be able to take your device with you. If that matters.

The device portability issue isn't what it used to be. In general, the big manufacturers like Samsung and Apple have been making a universal SKU, so you can take your device from GSMA to CDMA carriers.

Heck, my last couple Sprint phones (Samsungs in my case) could actually roam on GSMA internationally without needing to change SIMs or anything like that.

• Agree
Reactions: amishclone

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Remember that both companies use different networks, one is CDMA and the other GSM, so it is likely you would not be able to take your device with you. If that matters.

I love android but my Nexus was breaking non stop, was forced to go apple. The portability is why I buy our phones unlocked from the apple store. Don't feel forced servitude to one company.

I've been doing this with Android devices for years. Unlocked phones are the way to go.

I'm aware of the networks:
Are there any little perks that one has over the other? Like with ATT we had the ability to see when one was replying, read, etc on text messages. I lost the ability when I bought an unlocked phone that allows me to switch from GSM to CDMA.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Big US Cellular "temporary tower" outside Jack Trice Stadium this season.

• Informative

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
I find it difficult to believe people still ante up for Verizon or US Cellular, when Straight Talk and other services are 95% of the service for less than half the price.....

Have had Straight Talk the past two years, and havent regretted it a bit....in Oregon, so the Iowa coverage may vary.....
Looks like unlimited is $55/mo on Straight Talk, which would be $165/mo. US Cell is $170 for 3 phones unlimited. Not seeing a big advantage. But I'm open to learn more.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Looks like unlimited is $55/mo on Straight Talk, which would be $165/mo. US Cell is $170 for 3 phones unlimited. Not seeing a big advantage. But I'm open to learn more.

I pay 40/month per phone for 4 phones unlimited on Verizon. If you have a business you can lower it. I just needed to know my business tax ID and I was good to go.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
5 phones and 1 IPad for $198 unlimited on Verizon (Military discount). Only problem I ever have with Verizon is Iowa State home games.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
I pay 40/month per phone for 4 phones unlimited on Verizon. If you have a business you can lower it. I just needed to know my business tax ID and I was good to go.
I have a Federal EIN, I would be in for that deal. My company I work for gets us a 20% discount and they will pay me up to 80% of my service. But if I can use my EIN, this may be the best deal.

amishclone

Feb 23, 2014
I find it difficult to believe people still ante up for Verizon or US Cellular, when Straight Talk and other services are 95% of the service for less than half the price.....

Have had Straight Talk the past two years, and havent regretted it a bit....in Oregon, so the Iowa coverage may vary.....
Data is slower and they have literally zero customer service.

• Informative

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Woah woah woah...if I have an EIN, I can sign up for business service? Even though I don't have a business anymore?

I just gave my number and address to Verizon and I got the business rate, I do use them for business so it is legit. Not sure what they do or don't check.

Help Support Us

Become a patron