Vegas Trip

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
I think I waited too long to book a flight. Prices are double what I looked at a month ago. What price are people finding for flights (DSM or MSP) and what Vegas hotels are fairly priced?
I haven't checked for a couple weeks but if you're willing to drive to KC, Sprint had decent prices. Got ours for around $200/pp round trip

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Based off flights and hotel prices it appears everyone in iowa is going to try and go to this game lol well half of the state. When will tickets go on sale for this?

RLD4ISU

Sep 13, 2018
Otsego, MN
I think I waited too long to book a flight. Prices are double what I looked at a month ago. What price are people finding for flights (DSM or MSP) and what Vegas hotels are fairly priced?

We have the hotel room booked, but are waiting to buy plane tickets. I have the Hopper app and it sends alerts to let me know when prices change and if they suggest waiting longer or buy now. I’m watching DM, KC, Omaha and MSP to Vegas.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
My wife and I just booked round trip flights from Des Moines to Salt Lake for $250 each. Then we'll drive a rental from Salt Lake to Vegas and back (6 hour drive each way).

Jdk

Feb 27, 2019
Hopper is a joke they don’t know what is going on in Vegas that weekend I was getting price updates from them and if I followed their way I would be left out in the dark like you are I booked on April 1st when southwest opened their flights through November 5th I booked out of Omaha and since then the flights are out of the park I saved quite a bit of money and a piece of mind by not procrastinating I knew the demand of people going out there.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
My wife and I just booked round trip flights from Des Moines to Salt Lake for $250 each. Then we'll drive a rental from Salt Lake to Vegas and back (6 hour drive each way).
Ooof. Are you doing that because you have the time/want to see that part of the US?

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Doing it mainly to avoid the rediculous air fare from Des Moines to Vegas. When we went to the bowl in Orlando, we drove to Nashville and the flew to Orlando. It was much cheaper and it broke the trip up. We've got plenty of time, so we thought we do it the same way for this trip.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Doing it mainly to avoid the rediculous air fare from Des Moines to Vegas. When we went to the bowl in Orlando, we drove to Nashville and the flew to Orlando. It was much cheaper and it broke the trip up. We've got plenty of time, so we thought we do it the same way for this trip.
Yeah I guess if you've got the time/want to do it that's cool.
I can catch rides to and from the dsm airport so if I can get direct flights, not rent cars, pay for parking, fuel, ramps, layovers, I always try and do direct.
If I was retired or had the time I would do more of the scenic stuff you mention.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
So glad we booked out of KCI when Southwest opened up their flights, others in our group wanted to wait, but right now the price we paid is looking better and better each day. Checked flights out of DM, Omaha, St. Louis, Chicago and KC today, and the only one close for Friday to Monday was SL,. we could have saved about $80 bucks out of there, but its also 2 hours further each way.

Hotel and flights booked, now just need to get game tickets.

Reactions: CycoCyclone

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

Got ours for $330 from DSM to Vegas. What was your rental car costs. Just curious.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
12 hours of driving to save $200 lolz

in his defense, southern utah is the most gorgeous place in this country. if I could live anywhere without family obligations I would move to St George in a heartbeat. Last time I was there we rented a convertible and spent a day just driving around. ...but we also didn't have a football game on the schdeule.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
Couple notes....

1) If you can't get tickets to the game it would still be a blast to go and gather with a big Cyclone group in one of the large sports books.
2) You absolutely can do Vegas on the cheap if you want to and have a great time. Maybe not this particular weekend due to flights and hotels, but it is possible.
3) Flights are rough out of DSM and I wouldn't expect them to get anything but worse. I booked mine through American a week or so ago for $800+ each. Normally I probably would have searched for other options but had a really large E Voucher through American due to a change in spring break plans.
4) Hotels are higher than normal, but I didn't think awful. Again I had a travel voucher from other cancelled plans so I might be a bit numb to the cost.

Dr.bannedman

liberal
Aug 21, 2012
that island napoleon got sent to
in his defense, southern utah is the most gorgeous place in this country. if I could live anywhere without family obligations I would move to St George in a heartbeat. Last time I was there we rented a convertible and spent a day just driving around. ...but we also didn't have a football game on the schdeule.

no weed and 3.2 beer? no thanks king

• Haha
Reactions: JP4CY

RLD4ISU

Sep 13, 2018
Otsego, MN

We went there in 2019 while on vacation. Drove through Zion and Bryce (spent the night at the lodge in Bryce). Went ATV riding at Sand Hollow State Park area. Spent some time in Colorado. We're thinking about driving down for the game and taking some vacation time before/after....possibly driving to Waco for the next weekend. :)

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
15k seems like a lot for a September weekend game. I'm guessing under 10k. And that is pretty incredible. Is there another fanbase that will have 10k at an opponent's venue this season?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron