Van Wall 5 in 35

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Way back when I worked at Hilton I used to have this thing that whenever we put in the basketball court I would end the night by walking on my hands to see how far I could get down the floor. I would often do it after other calls where the floor was in too.

Well the gymnastics coach was there one day while we were setting up for a meet and I jokingly asked her when they were going to draw my name. They used to draw a couple of names of people who entered to try to walk on their hands across the floor exercise mat at the midpoint of the meet. You got more prizes the farther you went. She responded, "I'm not going to draw you unless you are going to win the whole thing." So I dropped down and started walking on my hands the length of the basketball floor and finally dropped from exhaustion after 92 feet just two feet short of the full length of the court. She looked at me and said that they would "draw me" at the meet the next day. The next day they did actually "draw my name" even though I never entered and I walked the full length of the floor exercise mat to win all the prizes. I got a sweatshirt, a pair of shoes, a tote bag, and a couple of gift cards from what I can remember.

Also, I handed Ed Gagnier the mic the first time (only time, as far as I know) a guy actually won shoot 5 for 5. I believe at that time it was actually winning the car, they hadn't changed it to just a free one year lease of the car yet.

Last edited:

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016
Way back when I worked at Hilton I used to have this thing that whenever we put in the basketball court I would end the night by walking on my hands to see how far I could get down the floor. I would often do it after other calls where the floor was in too.

Well the gymnastics coach was there one day while we were setting up for a meet and I jokingly asked her when they were going to draw my name. They used to draw a couple of names of people who entered to try to walk on their hands across the floor exercise mat at the midpoint of the meet. You got more prizes the farther you went. She responded, "I'm not going to draw you unless you are going to win the whole thing." So I dropped down and started walking on my hands the length of the basketball floor and finally dropped from exhaustion after 92 feet just two feet short of the full length of the court. She looked at me and said that they would "draw me" at the meet the next day. The next day they did actually "draw my name" even though I never entered and I walked the full length of the floor exercise mat to win all the prizes. I got a sweatshirt, a pair of shoes, a tote bag, and a couple of gift cards from what I can remember.

Also, I handed Ed Gagnier the mic the first time (only time, as far as I know) a guy actually won shoot 5 for 5. I believe at that time it was actually winning the car, they hadn't changed it to just a free one year lease of the car yet.
When they came up with 5 for 5 they had Berry Stevens try and he never did it.
I also remember Ed teaching us how to juggle.

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
Our last two halftime entertainment acts have been a 64 year old upside down on 10 stacked chairs and a child on an balancing acrobat’s shoulder… I’m ready for a halftime entertainment that doesn’t make my hands sweat just watching. Bring back the dogs or the gymnasts, pretty much anything besides the fake drummer boy.

• Dislike
Reactions: isufbcurt

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Our last two halftime entertainment acts have been a 64 year old upside down on 10 stacked chairs and a child on an balancing acrobat’s shoulder… I’m ready for a halftime entertainment that doesn’t make my hands sweat just watching. Bring back the dogs or the gymnasts, pretty much anything besides the fake drummer boy.
I believe there’s a (different) drummer for the K State game. I have concerns.

Cyclones125

May 3, 2016
Last night's contestant should have respectfully declined. Anybody wanna fess up to that performance?

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
I’ve only ever seen one person complete it and it was earlier this season. Can’t remember which game. Of note I only make a handful of games every year so don’t know if it happens more frequently.

Reactions: Cyclones8824

Cyclones125

May 3, 2016
I’ve only ever seen one person complete it and it was earlier this season. Can’t remember which game. Of note I only make a handful of games every year so don’t know if it happens more frequently.
Guy did it pretty comfortably last season against WVU and got the crowd hyped. I think it was even mentioned post-game how he should get some credit for the victory. I know they don't wanna give away a lawn mower every game but having 80% of the contestants struggle to catch rim is a momentum killer.

• Agree
Reactions: clone4life82

cedarstrip

Aug 26, 2013
I'll never forget the first time the FM acro team performed at Hilton, as they were setting up for the halftime show the PA came on and announced that due to the special halftime show there would be no 5 for 5. The crowd started booing and those poor girls were looking around thinking this is new. Little did we know that 6 minutes later we would be giving them a huge standing O. They will be back for the Kansas game.

Reactions: isufbcurt

Torks Pub

Dec 16, 2006
Ankeny
Last night's contestant should have respectfully declined. Anybody wanna fess up to that performance?
The PA guy announced he was from Humboldt a known wrestling community. The contestant looked like a shaved Mick Foley, so take it from there...