Van Wall 5 in 35

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
It was one of the best efforts I've seen this season. I wonder what would happen if someone had a air pump needle and let a little air out of each ball before shooting!

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
Random. Decided at noon to go to the game. Drove 3 1/2 hours down and purchased a single ticket a half hour out of Ames. Got to Hilton about 45 minutes early and a promo gal approached me and asked if I would do it

Getting there early is the key. I was picked for the free throw shot back when I was at school and it was the same deal. Sat down early and someone came up and picked me out of the crowd.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Random. Decided at noon to go to the game. Drove 3 1/2 hours down and purchased a single ticket a half hour out of Ames. Got to Hilton about 45 minutes early and a promo gal approached me and asked if I would do it
About the time teams are in their first warm-ups, the promo folks are on the prowl looking for potential participants. Get there early if you want a chance. Early means there is a better chance to be picked.

Reactions: Cy-Tech

CRCy17

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Chicago, IL
Not sure what the exact competition is for this one, as I've been out of state for 10+ years, but I did get an opportunity once to do the halftime contest when I was in grad school at tOSU, and know the pressure the OP was going through.

My roommate was an intern in athletics marketing, and one evening he texts me asking if I wanted to do the contest for the women's because there was a terrible student crowd and they couldn't find anyone with a pulse. I arrived about half way through the first half, met up with the promo team, given a shirt to wear and next thing I knew I was on the court.

Granted, this was maybe 5,000 people in the stands, so no pressure. Gift cards to Big Lots were on the line, so there's the pressure. Object of this game was to make a layup ($50), free throw ($100), 3 pointer ($500), and half court shot (free tuition for a semester) in 30 seconds.

Being nervous, I blew the first layup attempt (for whatever reason I wasn't anticipating the women's size ball, even though it was a women's game), but made the second attempt, and quickly netted the first FT attempt. Knowing that was likely the best I would do as I am definitely not a 3pt shooter, I was shocked when my first 3 went in, and I was moving on to the Half Court shot with 17 seconds left. At this point I decided to spend a second trying to hype up the "crowd" and then got up 4 attempts at the half court shot, hit the rim on two.

When I got my gift cards, I had never been to a Big Lots, but learned that it was actually really, really hard to spend $650 at Big Lots...

Clones123

May 5, 2016
Des Moines, IA
Anyone remember how they used to do that stupid giant dice-roll? I I'm pretty sure this 5-in-35 replaced it the year or two after - probably because nobody knew what was going on.