Van De Velde fired again.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
aww. Now he'll have more time to post on CF and set us all straight on what "really happened" during his tenure.

NobodyBeatsCy

Apr 17, 2008
Clive, IA
I'll never forget when he was my seat mate on a flight from Atlanta to Des Moines, and he actually pulled out his budget to show me what he had to work with. It was a somewhat uncomfortable flight.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
I'll never forget when he was my seat mate on a flight from Atlanta to Des Moines, and he actually pulled out his budget to show me what he had to work with. It was a somewhat uncomfortable flight.

I assume this is a euphemism. How did you like the mile high club?

Reactions: InAWord

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

I was upset about something and emailed him once but I did my very best to be civil. He responded and challenged me to a fight, no joke.

Freebird

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Somewhere LE is toasting a nice cold frothy O'Dules.

CyStalker

Jul 16, 2012
Ankeny
I was upset about something and emailed him once but I did my very best to be civil. He responded and challenged me to a fight, no joke.[/QUOTE]

Same thing pretty much happened to me. After the whole LE scandal, I emailed him and expressed that I disagreed on how he handled the whole situation and stated that I would not be a season ticket holder in any sport until he was no longer the AD. Let me also say that I am by no means a big donor, just a very loyal fan and ticket holder. I did stick to my promise and discontinued all ticket sales until he was fired. Bruce called me on Father's Day and pretty much wanted to argue with me for over 45 minutes that he was not wrong and had not made any mistakes regarding the LE situation. I just couldn't believe that he was taking this much time to talk to me. Finally I ended the conversation by saying to him that someday when he makes a mistake in life I hope that his superiors have more compassion for him and are more forgiving that what he showed LE. His response "I don't make mistakes."

In the words of Paul Harvey......page two!!

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Same thing pretty much happened to me. After the whole LE scandal, I emailed him and expressed that I disagreed on how he handled the whole situation and stated that I would not be a season ticket holder in any sport until he was no longer the AD. Let me also say that I am by no means a big donor, just a very loyal fan and ticket holder. I did stick to my promise and discontinued all ticket sales until he was fired. Bruce called me on Father's Day and pretty much wanted to argue with me for over 45 minutes that he was not wrong and had not made any mistakes regarding the LE situation. I just couldn't believe that he was taking this much time to talk to me. Finally I ended the conversation by saying to him that someday when he makes a mistake in life I hope that his superiors have more compassion for him and are more forgiving that what he showed LE. His response "I don't make mistakes."

In the words of Paul Harvey......page two!!

Virtually identical to my situation, except mine played out by email. I was upset that he was portraying himself as a great leader for supposedly getting out in front of the LE situation. I pointed out that for three months he'd tried to spin it a different way and only fired LE when the pressure mounted, and that was not leadership.

I don't recall his exact words but he basically said come say that to my face and see what happens to you. I posted his response on one of the CF predecessor boards and it caused a minor uproar at the time.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Can't say that this is surprising. He made one of the bigger mistakes ever by an AD in letting his 9-3 team not go to a bowl. It is wonderfully ironic that we ended up being a beneficiary from his mistake!

CyStalker

Jul 16, 2012
Ankeny
Virtually identical to my situation, except mine played out by email. I was upset that he was portraying himself as a great leader for supposedly getting out in front of the LE situation. I pointed out that for three months he'd tried to spin it a different way and only fired LE when the pressure mounted, and that was not leadership.

I don't recall his exact words but he basically said come say that to my face and see what happens to you. I posted his response on one of the CF predecessor boards and it caused a minor uproar at the time.

So true, he is NOT a leader at all, and that was part of my problem. But out of that whole mess we got an AD that has proven himself time and time again that he is a tremendous leader. We are so blessed to have Jamie!!!!

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
While at ISU, I met with Bvdv on multiple occassions about casting a bronze statue to commemorate Cael Sanderson's accomplishments (159-0 and still at ISU). While the statue idea may look like a bust in hindsight, Bruce wasn't willing to invest in capturing the spirit and the excitement.

The man has no vision and couldn't sell ice water to people in hell.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
What's his next step? HS athletic director? I wish he could go to EIU and become AD there....

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Why ANY school would hire this clown, knowing the abysmal track record he's had everywhere he's been, is beyond understanding. Louisiana Tech could have hired an untrained chimp and had better results. BVDV needs to go back to serving Slurpees (assume euphemism here, if you wish), where he can stay out of the way of humanity's progress.

Help Support Us

Become a patron