Urban Meyer shows his stripes ... again

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

RotatingColumn

Oct 21, 2008
Honestly, if money isn't an issue, what possible open job would be a better spot than ISU for Campbell right now? The guy just punched his ticket for THE all time great at ISU. Even if he does leave soon, he's going to be invited back in 30 years to commemorate this season. We've done just as much for coaches who never accomplished what CMC has done. Why not stick it out and see where the ride takes you?

Reason to stay:
Win a conference title at Iowa St = coach for life
Win a conference title at Ohio St = coach another season

Reason to leave:
Win a conference title at Iowa St = miss the playoff
Win a conference title at Ohio St = make the playoff

The playoff is reserved for about a dozen programs. Do you really think if Northwestern ends up beating Ohio St that they will be in? A 2 loss Florida or Georgia would jump a 1 loss Big 10 champ Northwestern.

If opportunity was really the same we wouldnt have coaches ditching the ISUs.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Reason to stay:

Reason to leave:

The playoff is reserved for about a dozen programs. Do you really think if Northwestern ends up beating Ohio St that they will be in? A 2 loss Florida or Georgia would jump a 1 loss Big 10 champ Northwestern.

Agree, but I wasn't including Ohio State in my open jobs. That job is not open and I don't see it opening up this year or next. I just don't see a job right now, that would be open at the end of this year, that would give Campbell any more opportunity than he has right now.

If we finish this year strong and are able to put all the pieces together next year, then we will see how things go. If for some reason we were to win the Big 12 next year with no losses or one loss and get left out of a playoff spot in favor of a Blue-Blood name, then I could see Campbell looking at other options. That's really another discussion though on how the playoff needs to be expanded to eight. That way name isn't as much of an issue as far as getting left out.

Really though, I don't have any idea how a coach at this level thinks and would never claim too. Just seems to me that after spending five years building what Campbell has built here, that tossing that aside to go start all over somewhere else, seems like a move that wouldn't make a lot of sense to me. If Ohio St. or Notre Dame were open, I could certainly see a move there making sense.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I always thought he wanted a GM position but you don’t just get handed those if you aren’t with the right group. Problem Fred had was his connections to enable that route was best with the Bulls, but that place needs a total overhaul to get on track.
He had similar connections with the Timberwolves. I know for a fact that they were crushed when he signed an ISU contract extension right when the T-Wolves were trying to hire a head coach. Before he came to Ames, he was on track to moving up the T-Wolves organization. They love him in that organization and I'm sure they would love to have him back in some capacity.

• Informative
Reactions: BCClone

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
You thought Wayne was personable? I saw him berate an elementary kid for playing guitar at the same time as him in the guitar shop...

I saw Wayne ripping into Bruce Van De Velde when we were going through security to board a plane to New York for the NIT. I was in pep band at the time. We flew together with the team & cheerleaders. Wayne was ranting about why security was "treating us like damn Al Qaeda." This was only a few years after 9/11. Kinda funny in retrospect.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I think he took the ISU job fully knowing it, but also because he loves Iowa State and believed he could be the one to restore the program (definitely ego involved). And he was not only successful, but led us to the best 4-year stretch in program history and left pieces for CSP to continue on with things. However, I think that he was always unlikely to stay for the long-term - I don't really buy into the "stepping stone" thing as much as Fred fitting in more with the NBA-type environment where you're dealing with professionals and where coaches don't have to do all the recruiting stuff.
He took the ISU job because he wanted an NBA coaching job eventually, had zero coaching experience, so wasn’t sniffing even a mid-major job at the time. I’m sure he wanted to do what you say, but it’s not like he had any other coaching options that were at all close to ISU.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Reason to stay:

Reason to leave:

ISU has built enough of a pedigree that a clean non con and winning CCG puts us in contention for the playoffs even with a loss to a ranked team.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Which if he took the ISU job not knowing that (he was already a celebrity and known from his college days) he wasn’t very observant.

The impression I got of Fred from the times I interacted with him in smaller groups (when he was still in the pros) was he had a group he likes to be around and is not an outgoing person. Not a trademark of a college coach.

But ISU was the only place that would meet two criteria: 1. Major conference. 2. Willing to hire him without any coaching background whatsoever.

Fred is a smart guy and given his health status at the time, he was in a bit of a hurry to see if he could meet his dreams. ISU benefited from having Fred coach here, but he NEVER INTENDED TO STAY and I think it was fairly clear from day one.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyched and BCClone

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Putting 2 and 2 together it seems Urban's interest in the Texas job is one final cash grab. Having to coach against coaches like Campbell is something he'd like to avoid.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Putting 2 and 2 together it seems Urban's interest in the Texas job is one final cash grab. Having to coach against coaches like Campbell is something he'd like to avoid.
No doubt Urban seeing what Les Miles is getting paid to babysit a Kansas team is attractive when semi retired. He knows he can pull down around 3 times that and not even care if he turns around the Longhorns.