UPDATED: How should ISU honor Jack Trice more?

Kagavi

Mar 4, 2013
California
www.kagavi.com
With the recent news of Jack Trice's statue moving back to central campus, Jamie Pollard said "We look forward to working with a committee to help identify how we can further enhance Jack Trice’s legacy in and around our facilities.”

ISU Prez Wintersteen also said "We plan to convene another committee to help decide how we can further share Jack Trice’s story.”

I've been reading up on this Jack Trice guy. What an inspiring man! I had no idea he was ISU's first black athlete. Pretty neat.

Sooooooo .... how should ISU honor Jack Trice more?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
With the recent news of Jack Trice's statue moving back to central campus, Jamie Pollard said "We look forward to working with a committee to help identify how we can further enhance Jack Trice’s legacy in and around our facilities.”

ISU Prez Wintersteen also said "We plan to convene another committee to help decide how we can further share Jack Trice’s story.”

I've been reading up on this Jack Trice guy. What an inspiring man! I had no idea he was ISU's first black athlete. Pretty neat.

Sooooooo .... how should ISU honor Jack Trice more?
I assume when you say "I have been reading up on this Jack Trice guy." and "I had no idea he was ISU's first black athlete." I assume you mean in the last 5 or more years since I'm pretty sure that in the last few years you have known more about Trice than pretty much every other poster on CF.

• Agree
Reactions: bgprest

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I love the jack trice story. I love that they finally named the stadium after him. I hope theres a new statue at the stadium eventually. I’m not sure what else they need to do though.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Well we do have a Stadium named after him. The next logical step is Jack Trice University on Iowa State campus.

We have done enough to honor him. Every time a game is played at Jack Trice Stadium he is being honored. He has a statue on campus "Granted I like it next to the field so other schools could see the story behind the man". However, I think we are good at this point in honoring him.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
I’d like to see a larger statue in the middle of the plaza they are building. With his letter written larger and placed on the front.
Something like this:
View attachment 64035

It'll most likely be this image with #37
03a115f8f6f3ff1004d35a14b97834c5.jpg

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
I assume when you say "I have been reading up on this Jack Trice guy." and "I had no idea he was ISU's first black athlete." I assume you mean in the last 5 or more years since I'm pretty sure that in the last few years you have known more about Trice than pretty much every other poster on CF.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
We have a 100 year anniversary coming up. And this time we'll do it right.

Also- rather than wasting an advertising opportunity on an instate rivalry that no one cares about beyond our borders, we should commemorate Jack Trice @ homecoming verses Texas (assuming we continue to play them at home in odd numbered years). A national audience will tune in to hear his story. And hopefully we can ride an emotional wave to victory over the Longhorns.

Reactions: t-noah

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I have nothing to add other than the fact that Mr Kagavi ought to be on this committee!

Big Kagavi fan here. I certainly hope Josh doesn't keep us in suspense much longer because I am confident that he already has magnificent ideas that are better than what I would suggest.

To be honest, I'm a bit concerned about the vagueness of "doing something in the new pavilion" and having nothing in this regard in the proposal drawings.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I say they create another statue and place it smack-dab at midfield. It shouldn't hurt the flow of a game too much.

Minor annoyance is, someone would have to mow around it. But that won't be an issue after we install God Almighty's Magic Cure-All Field Turf (TM). ;)

The better idea would be to put his statue in the end zone with his hands in the air forming a goal post. WE would be the first team to ever have goal posts that resembled the name of our football stadium.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron