UNI Dual

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
I believe Dresser and Schwab are good friends. Dresser’s daughter baby sits for Schwab’s kids. They seem to get along quite well when they were at the fight night in Waverly.
I know his daughter baby sat for them that is why I didn’t really know how to put it. But I do also know there are still tensions from both sides over the Va Tech stuff. My son has been at clinics with Schwab and liked him a lot . I think he is doing a great job at UNI . I think his mat side demeanor turns some people off while others love it.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I like Coach Schwab, he has worked with my boys at the club they go to and was very cool.

My oldest spent a few days in the Panther wrestling room for duals camps, schwab was fine during those. Wrestling coaches are different than others. Dresser is different then most wrestling coaches also. Don’t read too much into those things.

• Agree
Reactions: Cydkar

cywr89

May 14, 2009
I know Degen has a style he wrestles but he has to get takedowns.
I like to see how many TD you get with a dislocated shoulder. He is trying to.complete with one arm. It popped out during warm-ups today. I’m sure they will continue to looks for new ways to score with one arm. Toughest kid on team. I hope the offseason surgery works this time.

DrizzyCyclone

Apr 7, 2013
I like to see how many TD you get with a dislocated shoulder. He is trying to.complete with one arm. It popped out during warm-ups today. I’m sure they will continue to looks for new ways to score with one arm. Toughest kid on team. I hope the offseason surgery works this time.
I heard that he has a ton of bone chips on his injured shoulder. Still gave his best effort against Thomsen so far in his career.

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
Shoulders are tough to heal - once they pop out even with surgery they can still be problematic. He is one tough guy - I’m sure they will keep working on ways to compensate for it. Thomsen is tough to score on with two good shoulders

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Am I missing something re: the hate for Schwab? Other than he wrestled for Iowa and coaches a conference opponent?

Did he do something specifically to disrespect Iowa State?
Look at their bench and you will see very similar antics. And then look no further then his comment to Dresser after the meet and you have your answer. The guy was jumping like a baboon after the 125 match.

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
Ok so the consensus seems to be Schwab is a good dude and I’ve never interacted with him or know anybody who has so I’ll take the L here. As others have said, his matside antics rub me the wrong way and post match interviews haven’t done much to change my mind. He reminds me too much of T&T and I just can’t stand how they act and talk. I’m willing to accept that Doug and even the Brands bros are good people just not a fan of how they conduct themselves when it comes to wrestling.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
Well that's new news and doesn't sound good.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Ok so the consensus seems to be Schwab is a good dude and I’ve never interacted with him or know anybody who has so I’ll take the L here. As others have said, his matside antics rub me the wrong way and post match interviews haven’t done much to change my mind. He reminds me too much of T&T and I just can’t stand how they act and talk. I’m willing to accept that Doug and even the Brands bros are good people just not a fan of how they conduct themselves when it comes to wrestling.
I would offer that T & T are complete asshats.

Crazyape22

Feb 22, 2019
I heard that he has a ton of bone chips on his injured shoulder. Still gave his best effort against Thomsen so far in his career.
His shoulder completely came out in practice yesterday morning, that didn't help. The bone chips are in his elbow, had issues with it the beginning of the week. He'll have elbow surgery when he graduates.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I was really happy to see Carr and Gomez leading the rest of the team. Leadership example when not on the mat: This team has responded well to KD. I look for this to carry into Big 12's
Those two were fun as hell to watch. I started watching them during Shapiros match and it was great. Carr jumping up and down like a little girl on Christmas morning.

Reactions: Scott34

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
Weight by weight grades:

125- D: Mackall has wrestled Schwarm enough to know to stay out of the cradle. Disappointing match but he was battling back from the flu, so will avoid giving him an F here. I am confident Mackall will switch that result come big 12s (similar to last year)

133- B: Solid hard nose performance by Todd. I was even more impressed by his tank after back to back weigh ins from the night before. Todd is starting to come on and I am excited to see how he performs in March.

141- A-: Ian just continues to build on a very good year. Pretty much dominated #12 Blockus from UNI. Still a month left, but if Ian can stay healthy he is an AA contender.

149- B: Degen is a tough s.o.b. First time he has taken Thomsen to OT and is closing the gap. At this point I'm just hoping he can find a way to AA with one arm, but I know he will fight every minute to make it on the podium.

157- N/A: We just need Carr back. Hoping Stotts can continue to develop, but this could be a hole next year if Carr goes up a weight.

165- B: Gutsy effort from Chase on senior night. Was the aggressor all match and got it done in OT. Wish he would've won in regulation, but happy he got a win on senior night.

174- A+: Well done Sammy and way to prove 99% of this board (including myself) wrong. Keep up with solid weight management, continue to push the pace and Sammy will be trouble for a lot of 174 guys come March.

184- C+: Marcus fought the entire match and kept on the attack. Lujan is just on another level right now. Wish he could've kept it to a decision though.

197- B-: Good win for Joel, but think he could've majored that guy if he stayed on his attack. But a win is a win and he is continuing to progress.

Hwt- A: Gannon continues to improve and is widening the gap with Isley. Dominating win for a guy he has essentially split with his college career. Gannon is going to be a low AA contender come March.

Overall- B+ Probably shouldn't have been as close as it was, but very excited we got the win without our best wrestler and with giving up 6 at 125. Really like the direction the team is heading and can't wait for NCAAs!

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
Sammy is going to be a nightmare for seeding committees in the tournaments. He hasn't wrestled a ton of the opponents due to the weight switch and coupling that with the up and down performance is going to lead to him probably being under-seeded. The good news is, he just beat the highest-seeded B12 wrestler, so he knows he's capable of beating them all.

Reactions: JM4CY