True Crime Podcasts

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Clonefan2022

Feb 20, 2020
Casefile true crime is pretty good, especially the episodes about the east area rapist(this story is insane and terrifying). Last podcast on the left is also pretty good but it’s not really “true crime”

Reactions: NATEizKING

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
A Very Fatal Murder

It's a satire of True Crime Podcasts. Pretty funny, if you want to have a laugh at the genre as a whole.

Reactions: isucyfan

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Up and Vanished was very good. It was so raw/fresh that as it developed, the reaction to it affected the podcasts and the actual case itself. People would come forward to the host with information ect. It was nuts.

Reactions: MugNight

Ozclone

Dec 12, 2009
Looking for suggestions, I highly recommend Serial and In The Dark.

I've been listening to the Monster podcasts. The first season was on the Atlanta child murders. The second was on the Zodiac killer. The third (which is the current) is on the DC Sniper.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
I don't listen to many podcasts, but anything with Mike Morford is good. He is a very down to Earth guy and knows what he's talking aboot. I recommend avoiding anything that features Tom Voit. He is massive douchebag.

The Lone Gunman podcast is good. Particularly the episode with my friend, Robert Taylor. Awesome guy! There is another episode with a guy named Keith Gilbert that is very interesting. He says he met Lee Harvey Oswald not long before the JFK assassination and, well, listen to it if you want to know more... Robert and Keith have given me a ton of useful information over the years that have helped in a lot of true crime research that I have done.

I have a serial killer website if anyone is interested but i haven't posted on there in a while...

www.theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net

I have a lot of my Zodiac Killer research on there along with some outside the box theories on the case. Right now I am trying to break down and work on one of the unsolved ciphers that I believe has been partially solved.

Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
Sometimes I really enjoy My Favorite Murder, once in a while depending on my mood it can get a little annoying. Last Podcast on the Left, and Sword & Scale were both good. Sword & Scale was much more dry and detailed of the three.

Reactions: SaraV

StateThrowdown

Oct 27, 2008
Jasper County
I really like Generation Why. One of my main issues with a lot of true crime podcasts is the host or hosts sound like robots. They could be discussing a very interesting topic but I can’t seem to get past that. Generation Why features two guys who dive into a murder mystery and it just sounds like a discussion of facts between two friends.

ImperialCyclone

Sep 11, 2012
I commute to Des Moines everyday from Ames and listen exclusively to True Crime Podcasts. So...here is my list of podcasts I have dug. I won't redo what others have said (Serial, In the Dark Season 2, Up and Vanished/Monster, To Live and Die in LA)

1. Bear Brook
2. Next, listen to Man in the Window (Bear Brook is connected to Man in the Window)
3. S-Town
4. Dirty John
5. Dr. Death
6. Someone Knows Something
7.22 Hours: An American Nightmare
8.Conviction: American Panic

The rest are in no particular order
9.Missing and Murdered: Finding Cleo (as well as Season 1)
10.Heaven's Gate
11.Detective Trapp
12.Redball
13.The Clearing
14.Accused
15. The Fred & Rose West Tapes

Ones I will be hitting up soon:
Criminal
*West Cork (audibles membership)
The Doorstep Murder
Undisclosed
Believed
Death In Ice Valley
Sword and Scale
The Mind of Maddness - True Crime Stories
*The Vanished
A Very Fatal Murder (Onion)
Uncover
Who Killed...?
You Must Remember Manson
*Teacher's Pet
*Who the hell is hamish?

• Agree
Reactions: bjdiers

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Small Town Murder is my go-to. It's a comedy/true crime podcast. Not everybody's thing, but it's good for me.

Also, Crime in Sports (by the same guys) is funny as well, just without the killing. They recently did one on Lenny Dykstra, and he listened to it, thought was great. Even signed a ball for them and sent it back to them.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Finished To Live and Die in LA, would recommend that one too. Different than the other two.

My rankings would be:
1. In the Dark
2. Serial
3. To Live and Die in LA

Last edited: