Travel from CR to Ames

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Still on the fence but has anyone been on Highway 30 between CR and Ames? Really want to go to the game but do not want to die.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

This map is significantly worse than it was earlier today. The wind is picking up again. The trip would probably be fine, but I'm a cautious winter driver.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum and Angie

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
Still on the fence but has anyone been on Highway 30 between CR and Ames? Really want to go to the game but do not want to die.
I'm coming up from Johnston on I-35N.

To me it always comes down to the reliability of your vehicle and survival prep.

If you have a newer, reliable truck/suv, AWD/4WD, good tires, etc. You should be fine on hwy 30 if you drive smart & safely. Make sure to pack blanket, extra clothes, food/water just in case.

Obviously if you have no prep stuff in your vehicle and a rear wheel drive sedan with bald tires, don't do it.

IA DOT has all major roads as purple (not advised) but I've driven in that plenty. Red (impassable) is only on some smaller/off the beaten path roads. You do want to avoid any red or closed of course. Hwy 30 looks okay. Iowa State folks from DSM said I-35 is okay as well.

Reactions: State2015

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
The biggest risks come from the "other guys."

I was coming back from UNI once and got passed by a vehicle that spins and rides next to me backwards for a second (felt like an hour) before going in the ditch. He could have easily taken me out.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa

This map is significantly worse than it was earlier today. The wind is picking up again. The trip would probably be fine, but I'm a cautious winter driver.

It is? It looks better. Roads around DSM clearing up and same with south and southeast Iowa.

Reactions: Erik4Cy

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I'm in eastern Iowa for the weekend and 380 wasn't great earlier and is probably worse now.

Lots of cars in the ditches as a warning but people still driving like normal. That factor alone would deter me from going.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Best of luck! Let us know if you die though.

giphy.gif

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Blizzard warning extended Story County and north until midnight.

• Informative
Reactions: Acylum

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
The big thing for me, is you would be driving home in the dark with whiteout conditions. Not for me.

Absolutely. Also when coming from CR be prepared to spend the night in Ames regardless of road conditions. They just might close down 30 while you are at the game because of poor visibility after dark. The east/west roads are always worse than the north/south.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Think we are going to call it off. I have a propane heater that would keep us alive, but that doesn’t sound like a fun evening. My biggest concern would be white out conditions from the wind. I’ve driven Highway 30 probably 500 times and at least a handful in conditions like this. Not to mention getting halfway there and then they decide to cancel for some God knows reason.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
We just drove by Hilton about an hour ago on our way to/from the store. There was considerably more drifting in the parking lot when we came back then there was when we left. My husband asked me if I wanted to go to the game tonight (when wind chill will be ~ -27) - no, thanks.

• Informative
Reactions: Acylum

BCWAngus

Aug 27, 2022
I posted this in the game day thread. Still a total white out on the rural roads. STAY SAFE EVERYONE.

NC Iowa rural roads are impassable do to the blowing and difting snow. Much worse than Tuesday. It took me 4 hours to move all the snow from my driveway down to the road. Now waiting on the snowplow to clear the road. I'm sure thier waiting for the wind to go down otherwise all their hard work is pointless. I totally understand. The wind was going down at about noon but has come up again so you can't see the neighbors again. Stay safe if your going to the game. I will be listening to John and Eric. GO CYCLONES.

Reactions: Angie

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Think we are going to call it off. I have a propane heater that would keep us alive, but that doesn’t sound like a fun evening. My biggest concern would be white out conditions from the wind. I’ve driven Highway 30 probably 500 times and at least a handful in conditions like this. Not to mention getting halfway there and then they decide to cancel for some God knows reason.
This is the right call

Reactions: CYDJ