Top 25 power 5 coaches

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Campbell is a very good coach, but this year we have to break through, or he will be lumped into the good but not great coaches.
Gonna need you to define "break through."
It’s funny to me how after one average season, in which we had about about as bad of luck as you can have, Campbell has “hit his ceiling”. It took Snyder seven seasons to hit 10 wins, and Frank Beamer nine at Va Tech! First, we have to establish ourselves as a perennial bowl team, then let’s take the next step. If we keep developing we’ll get there.
Using post-game win percentages, which calculate probability of winning based on play-by-play stats after the game was played, ISU should have won 9 games last year. We were better than our record showed, but didn't have the discipline/focus to put games away. I think last year's results will sharpen our discipline/focus for this year and we'll get those couple extra wins.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I think last year's results will sharpen our discipline/focus for this year and we'll get those couple extra wins.
I think that returning a ton of experience everywhere except the OL is going to help a huge amount with that.

And even the OL has a core of two talented players with a season’s worth of starting experience each to build around. I probably feel better about that unit than some people do.

I’d guess that “breaking through” with ten or eleven wins would jump CMC up this list substantially. A Big XII Championship would be like tying a rocket to his back.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018

Using post-game win percentages, which calculate probability of winning based on play-by-play stats after the game was played, ISU should have won 9 games last year. We were better than our record showed, but didn't have the discipline/focus to put games away. I think last year's results will sharpen our discipline/focus for this year and we'll get those couple extra wins.

Break through season, 10 wins at least and a trip to the conference championship game.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
It’s funny to me how after one average season, in which we had about about as bad of luck as you can have, Campbell has “hit his ceiling”. It took Snyder seven seasons to hit 10 wins, and Frank Beamer nine at Va Tech! First, we have to establish ourselves as a perennial bowl team, then let’s take the next step. If we keep developing we’ll get there.

The difference is Snyder and Beamer built their empires before the advent of social media and and message boards, not to mention the amount of money at stake is so much more vast. The reality is there is a significant amount of difference in the pressure a coach faces now than when Snyder and Beamer started. The good news for Campbell is this is Iowa State, and while we're starving for success, we're also a fairly patient lot, and Campbell has had almost as good of a start as one could ask. If he can keep hitting 8 wins, he'll get his time to break through.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
If you read very many of those summaries you’ll find this writer is pessimistic as heck about most of the bottom ten. Rather than writing about the pluses that got them in the top 25 they are writing about the reasons they are suspect and may not belong. Weird.
Pot stirring LAme STREAM MEDIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
True, but how successful would any great coach be at those schools? Just look at our 2 instate schools, its a lot easier to maintain a 8 win average at Iowa than it is at ISU.
Playing in the Big 10 West is a gift that just keeps on giving, year after year. This year the schedule for their crossover games bites them in the ass. But most years its PSU, and then two of the sisters of the poor, Rutgers, Maryland, and Indiana.
How much better would Campbell's record be if we got to miss OU every other year, like Iowa does with OSU. In 21 seasons, their coach has played them 11 times with a 2/9 record.
Riley is a very good coach, I would think that if was at ISU he would be getting us to 8 wins each year also.

KF is actually averaging 9 wins over the last five years.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com

To satisfy my curiosity, what are the two additional games ISU should have won, based on that analysis?

My guess would be (1) Iowa (2) Oklahoma State.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
To satisfy my curiosity, what are the two additional games ISU should have won, based on that analysis?

My guess would be (1) Iowa (2) Oklahoma State.
I know Iowa was one. The postgame win probability was like 90%+ for that game. I don't remember the other one. But the guy who does the ones I've looked at over the last few years is the same guy who does SP rankings for ESPN, Bill Connolley.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
KF is actually averaging 9 wins over the last five years.
He has really benefited from the move to a 12 game regular season schedule and a 13th game with a bowl.
Not factoring in the great bowl package the Big 10 has, get a team in the playoff, runner up gets the Rose Bowl, the next 3 get a nice Florida bowl game on New Years day, the 6th place team ends up in San Diego.
In the Big 12, get a team in the playoff, number 2 gets the Orange Bowl, 3rd the Alamo, and then it gets shaky from there. Not bad bowls, but not on New Years Day with everyone watching.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
He has really benefited from the move to a 12 game regular season schedule and a 13th game with a bowl.
Not factoring in the great bowl package the Big 10 has, get a team in the playoff, runner up gets the Rose Bowl, the next 3 get a nice Florida bowl game on New Years day, the 6th place team ends up in San Diego.
In the Big 12, get a team in the playoff, number 2 gets the Orange Bowl, 3rd the Alamo, and then it gets shaky from there. Not bad bowls, but not on New Years Day with everyone watching.

Second place is sugar bowl.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

Agree, B1G has a very nice slate of bowl affiliations. Doesn't make the bowl matchups easy having 1 in the CFP and another in the Rose, which is why we're usually playing up. But fun to watch.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
This will be Campbell's year to prove he's as good as his media looks. Snyder won 9 his fifth year, if you choose to use him as the standard which seems to be the case. Yet, Snyder took over a far worse program than Campbell. Kleiman might be a better comparative with 8 wins his first year.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
This will be Campbell's year to prove he's as good as his media looks. Snyder won 9 his fifth year, if you choose to use him as the standard which seems to be the case. Yet, Snyder took over a far worse program than Campbell. Kleiman might be a better comparative with 8 wins his first year.
Ugh take off the purple glasses for once.