TJ’s Weaknesses Exposed Tonight

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
you think our coaches draw up solid plays?

I have no idea. ISU is pretty easy to guard and disrupt what they're trying to do in those moments.

When multiple players can't dribble drive/create very well, pressing them on the perimeter is an easy counter.

• Agree
Reactions: CyBobby

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
someday before I die, I hope we have a coach who can draw up a Bill Self inbounds-type play...just for once...because in my 50+ years, we've never had one

also, who was the last player we had who was truly a leader on the floor...when it mattered the most you KNEW he'd get the ball?
Fred was really good at inbounds plays.

• Haha
Reactions: Lineup

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
We just need Jaz back. The issue we have right now is no matter what lineup we put on the floor, we have at least 2 guys who are not a threat to score outside of about 5 feet. That allows the defense to play essentially no-help on Grill and to force Holmes and Gabe to drive into help. You just can't have Lipsey being given 6 feet of space and Rob, Watson, Ward and King all not being much of an offensive threat.

• Optimistic
  • Agree
Reactions: CYDJ and CyBobby

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Canceling my trip to Manhattan, I thought I'd be seeing the Big 12 title on the line, not a team fighting to get to 9-9. Refuse to watch thsi team on the road, they can't even win in half empty arena let alone in a hostile environment.
Not sure how they will manage without your support. I’m guessing you rebook after Saturday. Your act here gets a little old.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Lipsy was able to blow past his guy when he drove late, up one and it’s set up for grill to jack one up? I know he was hot earlier but his previous 3 barely hit the front of the rim.
We are limited on a press because only Lipsey and Holmes are decent on the dribble, I suppose Gabe maybe too.

End of game scorer, I think we need to look at Gabe or Holmes. Grill is a very good rhythm shooter, but needs help creating his shot. Coming off a screen or rotation pass, but not off the dribble himself. We need Lipsey on the floor to handle the press but he isn’t going to take the three. Unless we have a play set up for Grill, one of the other guys are the ones that have to create something.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
We were lucky to come out of Fort Worth with a win (almost choked that one away), choked bad in Stillwater, and choked tonight. I get this conference is tough and it’s a grind, but man these collapses in the second half, away from home have me a little concerned.
Let’s not forgot we nearly choked OU away as well.

• Love
Reactions: CyBobby

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
our end of game , end of half plays are pathetic. Every single time I think to myself, that's what we had drawn up? They only time we pulled it off was at TCU, but that was only because Kalscheur made a heroic shot.
Agree. That was a great shot but not a good look. We were actually lucky to be taking the ball out of bounds at that point because Lipsey nearly turned it over.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
We are limited on a press because only Lipsey and Holmes are decent on the dribble, I suppose Gabe maybe too.

End of game scorer, I think we need to look at Gabe or Holmes. Grill is a very good rhythm shooter, but needs help creating his shot. Coming off a screen or rotation pass, but not off the dribble himself. We need Lipsey on the floor to handle the press but he isn’t going to take the three. Unless we have a play set up for Grill, one of the other guys are the ones that have to create something.
Gabe cannot bring the ball up. TO machine.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
I just want to know why no one went to the hoop at the end of regulation, we kept launching 3’s. How did Tech come back? Driving to the lane and either getting fouled or finishing at the rim.
This is a huge concern. The way they were calling fouls you'd think we could have got some if we attacked the basket more. But I also think we have some guys with ball handling issues that maybe negate those that can when the pressure comes.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
This is a huge concern. The way they were calling fouls you'd think we could have got some if we attacked the basket more. But I also think we have some guys with ball handling issues that maybe negate those that can when the pressure comes.

And this is one reason why I am so over people complaining about the refs. Look at how the game is being officiated and adjust. They clearly were calling fouls if there was contact on your way to the rim. But we moved the ball without much purpose only to have a late shot clock 3 for about 9 minutes straight.

Last edited:

cyups2323

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
I think we owe lipsey a break for last night. He definitely looked like a freshman for the 1st time but he has been nails all season. Big rob on the other hand, my god. I understand he brings energy but I'm just having a hard time seeing what he brings to the floor. There is no way he should be playing as much as he does. No way.

• Agree
Reactions: riceville98

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa
I just want to know why no one went to the hoop at the end of regulation, we kept launching 3’s. How did Tech come back? Driving to the lane and either getting fouled or finishing at the rim.

I think this very thing is what bugs me most about last night. We should have drove at the end like Tech was doing and it's a head scratcher as to why we didn't and that's 100% coaching and on TJ's shoulders. Very concerning to say the least

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
The way Harmon put on a globetrotter act, dont we have to try a zone? At least for a few possessions. Realizing the rebounding might have gotten worse....yikes

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa
with our style of play, we need more guards. We thought we would have two more scholarship guards in Williams and Green, but that didn't work out. So yes the guys we have are tired. Grill said in the post game his back was really sore down the stretch, that he couldn't play like he normally would. I hope they calibrate things in practice, don't wear them down so they have fresh legs for game day
All the more reason he shouldn't have been taking 3's at the end then Go to rim and get a basket/foul/both

• Agree
Reactions: cayin