THT Going into the Draft

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I attended the Big XII Tournament Championship game and watched the players closely during the post game celebration and trophy presentation. I would not say it was blatant but I felt that THT is the odd man out on this roster. Interaction between him and other players (hugs, high fives, body posture, etc.) seemed to be strained.

Could be some level of addition by subtraction if he goes pro. Again, just my opinion.

I don't disagree with this. I have to wonder if what went down with Illinois was a real heartbreaker for him and he was here by necessity rather than desire. It could just be his personality but I thought all year his body language was just different than anyone else's. I don't think it was some huge issue or anything but it did seem a little off.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
I attended the Big XII Tournament Championship game and watched the players closely during the post game celebration and trophy presentation. I would not say it was blatant but I felt that THT is the odd man out on this roster. Interaction between him and other players (hugs, high fives, body posture, etc.) seemed to be strained.

Could be some level of addition by subtraction if he goes pro. Again, just my opinion.
I tend to agree with this, and obviously this is speculation but I think a lot of the “ball sticking” started to happen when he started to play selfishly. When Prohm started to criticize the outside influences I figured the AAU coach criticism was directed at THT. There was a point in the season where he decided to make sure he got his numbers (then that attitude rubbed off on others) and that’s when our offense went in the crapper.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I tend to agree with this, and obviously this is speculation but I think a lot of the “ball sticking” started to happen when he started to play selfishly. When Prohm started to criticize the outside influences I figured the AAU coach criticism was directed at THT. There was a point in the season where he decided to make sure he got his numbers (then that attitude rubbed off on others) and that’s when our offense went in the crapper.

This never happened. At all. Don't make stuff up.

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: isu83 and isufbcurt

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

It could be. But part of me thinks that THT is just a quiet kid.

cycopath25

Sep 8, 2006
(307)
2xi1yq.jpg

After seeing some mock draft rankings, I may retract my original statement. Looks like they have him in the #20-23 range.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

Our offense was fantastic this year. Stop it

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Agree. I just hope that THT now realizes that in his workouts he longer has to shoot 5 feet behind the 3 point line.

The stand and dribble and basically do everything but actually tell the defenders that you're not even going to attempt to pass should maybe be ditched too.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
How is Randy Peterson so dumb? He tweeted out that THT is still taking classes this semester like that is some kind of revelation. All these kids that are leaving finish their semester classes because when they don't, it hurts the schools APR.

• Dislike
Reactions: Redman97

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
How is Randy Peterson so dumb? He tweeted out that THT is still taking classes this semester like that is some kind of revelation. All these kids that are leaving finish their semester classes because when they don't, it hurts the schools APR.
I wouldn't give a **** about Iowa states apr if I'm 18yo and about to get my ass paid a nice chunk of change.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
THT is only 18 years old. He is a kid. He is not 21 or 22. THT has a lot to learn. But at 18 years of age how can you expect him to have a mature fully developed game. Probably youngest player in the draft. His upside is what NBA is looking for. Kobe Bryant was just out of high school when he was picked 13th in the NBA Draft. Hall of Famer.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

Withdrawing from classes could benefit him to train full time to improve a bit prior to the evaluation. If he was 100% committed to the NBA it would be the correct move to leave now, get a agent, manager, personal trainer/coach, chef and get to the gym. The fact that he is continuing taking classes means he wants to keep the option open to return to ISU if he doesn't get the feedback needs to ensure he's a 1st rounder. APR isn't playing into his decision in any case.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Our offense was fantastic this year. Stop it

Indeed it was great -- and it was great even during the "dark era" in February.

OPPONENT-ADJUSTED POINTS PER 100

upload_2019-4-2_12-39-15.png

The flat line is a linear fit, the solid line is the rolling season average, and the dotted line is a moving average. The offense actually was better the longer the season went on.

The issue in February was the defense, which went through a really rough patch...

OPPONENT-ADJUSTED POINTS GIVEN UP PER 100

upload_2019-4-2_12-40-45.png

For context, the worst defensive performance of the season was Texas, where we gave up 125.0 points per 100. In reality, that game was a 86-69 win for Texas. Our best offensive performance of the season was on the road versus Kansas State (148.3 points per 100).

I do not know if it was effort, mental, chemistry, or just teams having us figured out the second time way more than the first, but we collapsed on that side of the ball.

We got it back again (as you can see), but it was hairy there for awhile.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I wouldn't give a **** about Iowa states apr if I'm 18yo and about to get my ass paid a nice chunk of change.

Well, to be fair, they often make huge accommodations for the kids declaring like excusing them for class when they have to travel for workouts or combine etc.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Withdrawing from classes could benefit him to train full time to improve a bit prior to the evaluation. If he was 100% committed to the NBA it would be the correct move to leave now, get a agent, manager, personal trainer/coach, chef and get to the gym. The fact that he is continuing taking classes means he wants to keep the option open to return to ISU if he doesn't get the feedback needs to ensure he's a 1st rounder. APR isn't playing into his decision in any case.

Kids don't do this. Zion will finish his Semester. How do you think Kentucky and Duke keep their APR up despite all the one and dones?

cdekovic

Mar 25, 2006
Ames
I wish I had a dollar for every Iowa State player that left early for the “NBA”. Royce White, Craig Brackens, Marcus Fizer. It’s such a different game. I guess I would have $3. Heck, even our four year kids have a tough time breaking in. Anyone else chime in?

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
At this point the team seems a little cancerous. I don't know which relationships are salty, just a feeling I get from reading a lot of articles and body language. I didn't expect Talen back, figured Lard would be gone, and put Lindell at 50/50 leave stay.

Part of me is happy, because there are some people on the bench I think could be decent players, who may not stay if all three of those players are back. Also, it seems like some players are on Prohm's level of expectations and others aren't, and at some point regardless of talent they have to go. I'd be happy to have Talen and Lindell back, but I think it's very unlikely.

As far Talen's decision he should go if someone is saying first round. He would be stupid not to.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
I wish I had a dollar for every Iowa State player that left early for the “NBA”. Royce White, Craig Brackens, Marcus Fizer. It’s such a different game. I guess I would have $3. Heck, even our four year kids have a tough time breaking in. Anyone else chime in?

Don’t short change yourself, you’d have 5 bucks. Curtis Stinson & Will Blalock.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron