THT Going into the Draft

Cyder91

Jul 19, 2018
He has ridiculous potential and they aren't afraid of developing him. I don't understand why it's hard to see that I guess.
I agree.....he can go and develop in the G-league and then maybe move on part way through the year to the NBA if need be. NCAA School is not the only option available to players anymore and will become less important as the G-league continues to develop.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Hasn't yet but the ESPN app notification I got said it was likely he would
an ISU beat writer tweeted something to the extent that he will keep the potential option of coming back to ISU open. So my guess is he won't have an agent through the initial stages of the process, and if he gets stonewalled he has that backup plan. But from all accounts it sounds like all parties expect him to be gone next year.

• Informative
Reactions: isutrevman

Cyder91

Jul 19, 2018
The kid is talented, but he isn't ready for the NBA. I am sure he can make some cash in Europe or something.

By the way, the NBA sucks. I really don't get it, maybe I am not their chosen demographic, but dang, nothing but a soap opera with maybe 4 teams that even have a shot at winning the title every year.
Doesn't matter if he isn't ready for NBA. His potential alone will get him on a G-League team and all the while he won't have to study for mid-terms and will be earning $$

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
We had to play in Auburn Hills! The refs screwed us!

Chris Babb got hurt! That bracket was wide open!

Georges broke his foot! We were like a buzzsaw! We were going to win a national title!

What happened happened. Reality counts more than speculative fiction. Giving Larry and Fred credit for the most absolutely rosy and optimistic potential of those teams, when college basketball is homicidal in its level of competitiveness and team quality after the first weekend of the NCAA tournament (and bad enough in the first one), is pretty silly.

I think that is the fundamental problem here. People act like Fred won a national title or at least made a Final Four OR, with a few more chances a better luck, would have done so in short order. No doubt about it. I am sorry, but giving the guy credit for far more than he did is ridiculous. The record books say what they did. Fred never beat anything more than a #6.

Prohm is coaching against the ghost of stuff that never happened.

Is that the same standard when people bring up the injuries in 17-18 and the LW and SY injuries and suspensions this year. I’ve seen plenty of posters saying we would have been a bubble team 17-18 or won the regular season this year but for the injuries and suspensions. I just think you need to be consistent. The agenda driven arguments are only going to get worse over the next couple of years.

Reactions: srjclone

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Im being patient with him, but if next year turns into a dumpster fire like 2017-2018 he needs to hit the road. Alot will depend on what Wigginton does and if he pulls in an grad transfers. He's had more than enough time to get his program established so another season like last year is unacceptable at this point.

Holy **** this has been you being patient? You've been calling for Prohm from the beginning.

crawfy54

Dec 28, 2006
Ames, Iowa
Lol. You literally compared Iowa St's talent to every team in 2016 Ncaa tournament.
Lol. I asked if anyone else in that tournament had 4 NBA players. And you compared our 4 NBA players to Dukes 6. WastedTalent is such an ironic username for this conversation lol.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I don’t know why some of you are counting on Leech to be some savior next season...maybe I’m way off but I wouldn’t count on him doing much for couple years...he needs to gain more weight and get his game back IMO.

Tre Jackson however....Kid can flat out shoot the rock.

If we retain LW we will be ok...losing him and I don’t see a good year unless Prohm lands a couple realLW good transfers..
Why do you feel Tre Jackson is any more ready? Just curious.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Lol. I asked if anyone else in that tournament had 4 NBA players. And you compared our 4 NBA players to Dukes 6. WastedTalent is such an ironic username for this conversation lol.
You said the 2016 sweet sixteen team, with 4 NBA players, underachieved. So I'm trying to show you that NBA talent is not the only way to determine the success of a college team.

Reactions: isutrevman

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I've been saying for quite a while that I felt we'd lose Lard, THT, and Wiggs after this season, and was laughed at over and over again.

Obviously it still hasn't happened yet, but I still feel like Wiggs will leave too. I hope he doesn't, because he needs another year, but I think he'll leave.

As far as I'm concerned though, I think we could still be better next season if somehow Wiggs decides to come back. Lard and THT are full of potential, but also probably our two most frustrating players to watch play about half the time they were on the court too. Wiggs did not bother me nearly as much. He had some careless turnovers at times, but I always felt like he was trying out there. Can't say the same for THT and Lard.

Anyone thinking we'll get much from Zion though next year might be in for a big disappointment. I think he's quite a ways from helping us much. I just want an infusion of shooters for next year. As long as you can fill it up, I feel like you've at least got a chance.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Is that the same standard when people bring up the injuries in 17-18 and the LW and SY injuries and suspensions this year. I’ve seen plenty of posters saying we would have been a bubble team 17-18 or won the regular season this year but for the injuries and suspensions. I just think you need to be consistent. The agenda driven arguments are only going to get worse over the next couple of years.

I completely agree with you.

When Fred had significant injuries, they immediately seize upon them as a carte blanc that their most lurid fantasies of postseason glory were going to happen otherwise. If not for Babb's ankle or Niang's foot, we were absolutely going to be in the Final Four.

When the program under Prohm has injuries, however, they neither (1.) adjust their expectations nor (2.) let their fantasies dream what might have been in the same way.

In 2017-2018, literally everybody missed a game save for Wigginton and Beverly. Jackson missed time because of bereavement, Brase was never healthy (a known health risk coming into the season, to be fair), NWB was hurt, Talley missed much of the first half of the season, Solomon missed the end of the year, and Lard missed a few games (though, again, another kind of known risk there, only in another fashion). That team had some potential to sneak into the postseason and played well at times, but it just collapsed from the missing pieces.

I find it amazing that we lost an incumbent and likely starter for the 2018-2019 team in Solomon Young... the largest guy on the roster, the only man to have started an NCAA tournament game for the Cyclones coming into the season, a model of silent toughness and embracing his role on the inside, a guy who played good positional defense on the block, set good screens, and boxed guys out on the defensive boards, and a developmental big man that you expect to start to really pay dividends come his junior year... and really do not talk about it much.

That, plus the suspensions to Talley and Lard, the injuries to Lard, Wigginton, and Griffin, Shayok missing the disastrous game in Morgantown, and everything else.

If Fred gets credit for deep runs that we could have had if not for the injuries to Babb and Niang, then I think Steve gets some credit for missing Solomon against Kaleb Wesson. We needed a big and strong body for that battle, and he was unable to do his job.

lakewoodcy

Mar 23, 2010
I'm not a pessimist. I really think that THT was not a good fit with LW, peronality-wise, and even if he has high upside, ISU will improve from THT's departure ala addition by subtraction. THT played way out of control, and with very little team orientation too many games. I am not confident another year of maturity would have improved his attitude. We need players who are totally sold out to TEAM play. I think LW perhaps matured to that point this year, and if he returns, is primed to lead this team to a very good season. If he doesn't return, let's see what Prohm finds on the transfer market, while continuing to develop leaders for future seasons with our younger players. The potential is there.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
On topic: Bad decision. He'll struggle.

Nearly everyone projects him as a mid to late first round pick, so if that's the case, it is NOT a bad decision at all.

However, I do agree that he will struggle and will not have a successful career in the NBA and whoever drafts him will end up regretting it. I do hope I'm wrong about that by the way, I wish nothing but the best for THT, I just would not draft him if I were an NBA GM.

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
First Hoiberg and now THT. It doesn't take much for cyclone nation to turn on their own.

It's almost like Pollard rushed to get the extension done before the bad news started. No one ever accused Pollard of not knowing what he's doing.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron